GDT: Buffalo Sabres vs Arizona Coyotes 8:30pm EST in Glendale Az.

jsb

My problem with D's system has nothing to do with preferring dumping over carrying. It's the lack of puck support for any puck carrier in any portion of the ice, abandoned in favor of a fevered sprint into the corners of the other end, the puck getting there via stretch pass that is usually missed and therefore chipped in behind the defense. There is no full team transition with structure, and it shows when we look worse at passing through transition than almost any team we play, ever. It's not how this team is told to get down the ice, it's not how they've spent the past 140 games and practices in between playing. And when we play against coaches and teams that know how to snuff out the puck carrier or the stretch option and transition the puck the other way, we predictably go 0-20 against them on the season, with no idea how to adjust.

I'm still looking for the article, but when defensemen like Lovejoy had trouble with this in Pittsburgh, and Bylsma was asked about it, he literally responded with "The pass just needs to be made faster and with better accuracy, then." He's convinced what he does will work. And when our players "openly disrespect the coach" and ignore what he's saying, after doing this and scoring at historically bad rates for two months, and proceed to be 11th in scoring for a stretch, it just makes me laugh.

Great post

You won't give up on this will you :P

I know - it's gotten a little entrenched.

I dunno. He just doesn't seem like the same player we saw after he first arrived. I infrequently notice dynamic or quick play from him, and his skating just seems laboured.

Maybe I am seeing what I want to see, though. If there isn't an injury, then he's just not playing as well as he had been playing. I also wonder if his basic advanced stats would bear this out.

post-760-0-60243700-1488290137_thumb.png

Yeah - eff me. Looks like I need to reevaluate my take on ROR. And probably my life.

I dunno. He just doesn't seem like the same player we saw after he first arrived. I infrequently notice dynamic or quick play from him, and his skating just seems laboured.

Maybe I am seeing what I want to see, though. If there isn't an injury, then he's just not playing as well as he had been playing. I also wonder if his basic advanced stats would bear this out.

attachicon.gifrorcompare.PNG

Yeah - eff me. Looks like I need to reevaluate my take on ROR. And probably my life.

No I'm just messing around.  The eye test looks like he hasn't been the same this year as last.  Although those stats show otherwise :blink:  

attachicon.gifrorcompare.PNG

Sports hernia is the new marfans, eh? :p

I just think he's being run into the ground with minutes. I'd like to see his ice time cut back by about a minute and a half per game. His highest per game average in Colorado was 19:49. Last season here he was at 21:44, and this year he's at 21:38.

No I'm just messing around.  The eye test looks like he hasn't been the same this year as last.  Although those stats show otherwise :blink:  

Oh, mess away. I need to have my assumptions and biases challenged. It's especially helpful when it's done with a light touch.

My eye test says the same, but ... those basic fancy stats suggest precisely the opposite. Is that just the Okposo effect? I dunno. I'm stumped.

Sports hernia is the new marfans, eh? :P

I just think he's being run into the ground with minutes. I'd like to see his ice time cut back by about a minute and a half per game. His highest per game average in Colorado was 19:49. Last season here he was at 21:44, and this year he's at 21:38.

Fair. I feel like we know he's being over-used.

But what of his basic #fancystats being SO much better this season than last?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.