What is your favorite goalie wave in Sabres history?

PASabreFan

What is your favorite goalie wave in Sabres history?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite goalie wave in Sabres history?

• Ryan Miller's WTF
    • Robin Lehner's Facetime
    • Al Smith's See Ya Seymour
    • Dom Hasek's Bondra Blocker

For the uninitiated, Al Smith was the Sabres' backup goalie in the 1976-77 season, behind Gerry Desjardins. When Desjardins got hurt, the Sabres called up rookie Don Edwards from the minors for a game at the Aud. As the story goes, GM Punch Imlach ordered coach Floyd Smith to start Edwards. This ticked the infrequently played Al Smith off. After the anthems, Smith stepped off the bench, skated over in front of where owner Seymour Knox sat in the lower golds, and waved bye-bye before heading off the ice. Edwards played his first NHL game without a backup, as it was too late to sign anyone and get him in the official lineup.

Edited by PASabreFan

My favorite goalie Waive will be when Robin Lehner is waived and I don't have to listen to panty waists bitch about him anymore. 

Come now, "we spent a 1st on him and he's ended up waived!" will live forever.

Does Hasek throwing his glove at Bondra count as a wave?

For the uninitiated, Al Smith was the Sabres' backup goalie in the 1976-77 season, behind Gerry Desjardins. When Desjardins got hurt, the Sabres called up rookie Don Edwards from the minors for a game at the Aud. As the story goes, GM Punch Imlach ordered coach Floyd Smith to start Edwards. This ticked the infrequently played Al Smith off. After the anthems, Smith stepped off the bench, skated over in front of where owner Seymour Knox sat in the lower golds, and waved bye-bye before heading off the ice. Edwards played his first NHL game without a backup, as it was too late to sign anyone and get him in the official lineup.

I would gladly take a pass at ever having seen (let alone multiple times) or having the ability to see the other two, just to witness this one once.

I would gladly take a pass at ever having seen (let alone multiple times) or having the ability to see the other two, just to witness this one once.

Some describe it as a "salute," which would be even better.

Come now, "we spent a 1st on him and he's ended up waived!" will live forever.

Does Hasek throwing his glove at Bondra count as a wave?

Nice! Added.

• 7 months later...

It's a rainy day in Tampa and I'm killing a few hours before dinner with colleagues.

NHL network is replaying Hasek's 70 save playoff shutout of New Jersey. Hasek just went post to post to rob Stephane Richer during the third period. Fans started doing the "worship wave" in Hasek's direction and the tv cut to commercial. When the telecast continued, the wave was still going on. The Aud, loud. Playoff hockey, tense and exciting. This was end to end action, not a neutral zone trap snooze fest.

One of Hasek's best "waves", I'd say. Also one of the most satisfying and memorable games I ever attended. Check your cable listings and find it, if you can.

From NHL Network and Kevin Weeks. Five greatest goaltending performances ever. I could talk about this one for hours.

1. Dominik Hasek, Buffalo Sabres, April 27, 1994

Hasek made 70 saves in a 1-0 playoff victory against a young rookie named Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. It was one of the best games I have seen, if not the best. How does it get better than that? Not only the saves, but the quality of saves in the entire game and then with the game being on the line in overtime and the significance of the game.

Hasek could make saves in so many different ways. He could improvise and his ability to read the game was unparalleled. Hasek could see the same shot or a similar shot and stop it in different ways at different times. You never knew what he was going to do. He was so unpredictable, which, to me, made him more fun to watch. Also, as a side note: Brodeur made 49 saves in the loss for the Devils

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.