NHL.tv and/or Center Ice signups

PromoTheRobot

I just renewed by NHL.tv subscription for this season. If you use a Discover card they knock off 10% of the 1-year price ($131.49) down to $118.34.  Apparently they are pushing the monthly subscriptions for $24.99 but if you click this link: https://secure.web.nhl.com/#/billingaddress?flowId=purchase&campaignCode=NHL_PURCHASE_CMPGN&voucherCode=NHL_PURCHASE_VOCHR&sku=8750110000949930221601000&locale=en_US You can get the 1-year price.

First ten days or so of the season are free preview time for Center Ice.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

For those of you who have Rogers Cable and live in Ontario give them a call to see if Centre Ice is already included in your cable package.  Last year I found out my package (which is above basic but don't get movie channels or anything) included Centre Ice and HBO for free.  I called again this year to see if I had to buy Centre Ice and they said it was 'free' again this year to people with my cable package.  So it's definitely worth the phone call.

I think I'll be illegally streaming games this year. I had to threaten to cancel Directv again as I do every Aug/Sep to get free Sunday Ticket and I doubt they'll be willing to work with me on a deal for Center Ice now that I'm under contract again for 12 months. This year I only got $54 off Sunday ticket ($9 x 6 payments) but they also gave me $50 off per month for 12 months. I could get Center Ice and consider it as free but I think I'd rather save that money with a lower monthly bill, especially since the payments for football and hockey over lap through Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan.

I prefer NHL.tv because I have the flexibility of watching mobile. It's also a little cheaper than Center Ice. As for DirecTV giving discounts, they can with Sunday Ticket but can't on Center Ice because they don't hold the rights.

Oh ok. Good to know. The only time they gave me a deal on Center Ice was when they had their pissing contest a few years ago with Versus/NBC Sports and they gave me a deal because I complained that without that channel my Center Ice didn't include all the games. Even then I'm not sure if they gave me a credit for center ice specifically or on some other part of my service, probably the latter.

Oh ok. Good to know. The only time they gave me a deal on Center Ice was when they had their pissing contest a few years ago with Versus/NBC Sports and they gave me a deal because I complained that without that channel my Center Ice didn't include all the games. Even then I'm not sure if they gave me a credit for center ice specifically or on some other part of my service, probably the latter.

If you have a fairly connected house, I can't imagine a rationale for getting Center Ice over NHL.tv. If you have broadband internet, and some way to play on a TV (instead of your phone or computer), it seems to be the decision is easy. (cheap TV solution if you don't have a PS3, xbox, etc: Google Chromecast; $35 streams NHL pretty well). Actually, the one argument for Center Ice is when you get the feed in HD, it probably is a little better quality than streaming. I'm not sure that's true with the new streaming platform though.

Great timing on this thread! I'm living outside WNY for the first time this hockey season, so I was going to look into NHL.tv or center ice soon. Was leaning NHL.tv because I have an Xbox to stream through. I would like the ability to watch on my laptop or phone, but it's not a deal breaker. Just like the idea of mobility. Like if I'm at the brother-in-law's house or (sigh) at work late, I might be able to watch from my laptop.

Is NHL.tv pretty reliable and decent quality in anyone's experience here? The discover promo is sweet, didn't know about that yet. Thanks!

Great timing on this thread! I'm living outside WNY for the first time this hockey season, so I was going to look into NHL.tv or center ice soon. Was leaning NHL.tv because I have an Xbox to stream through. I would like the ability to watch on my laptop or phone, but it's not a deal breaker. Just like the idea of mobility. Like if I'm at the brother-in-law's house or (sigh) at work late, I might be able to watch from my laptop.

Is NHL.tv pretty reliable and decent quality in anyone's experience here? The discover promo is sweet, didn't know about that yet. Thanks!

It's gotten better this last year in terms of stability, but the platform lost some features (like replays cut out all the commercials and intermissions). The quality is just under actual 1080 HD. The motion isn't quite as smooth and it's not quite as clear, but it's worlds better than the SD games I was getting on Center Ice.

I just renewed by NHL.tv subscription for this season. If you use a Discover card they knock off 10% of the 1-year price ($131.49) down to $118.34.  Apparently they are pushing the monthly subscriptions for $24.99 but if you click this link: https://secure.web.nhl.com/#/billingaddress?flowId=purchase&campaignCode=NHL_PURCHASE_CMPGN&voucherCode=NHL_PURCHASE_VOCHR&sku=8750110000949930221601000&locale=en_US You can get the 1-year price.

First ten days or so of the season are free preview time for Center Ice.

We gave up DirecTV and now watch TV through Playstation Vue and an HD antenna. Can NHL tv be run through the Playstation and are there any blackout concerns?  

We gave up DirecTV and now watch TV through Playstation Vue and an HD antenna. Can NHL tv be run through the Playstation and are there any blackout concerns?  

You can down the NHL Tv app for PS4. All nationally broadcast games are blacked out and if you are in Buffalo's home market unless you run your internet through a VPN those would all be blacked out.

I ran and will continue to run NHL tv through my PS4. Everyone once in awhile the pic will buffer but most of the time with the NHL tv update (they moved to a new platform based off the MLB tv app) it has been better. I stream in near 1080p. I hate that games on NBC sports are blacked out, it is stupid. Sports leagues need to join the 21st century and realize cable is a dying system. 

I ran and will continue to run NHL tv through my PS4. Everyone once in awhile the pic will buffer but most of the time with the NHL tv update (they moved to a new platform based off the MLB tv app) it has been better. I stream in near 1080p. I hate that games on NBC sports are blacked out, it is stupid. Sports leagues need to join the 21st century and realize cable is a dying system. 

Considering how much of the NHL revenue stream cable networks make up (NBC (US$200M per year) and Rogers (CDN$500M per year)), that's not going to happen any time soon.

If you have a fairly connected house, I can't imagine a rationale for getting Center Ice over NHL.tv. If you have broadband internet, and some way to play on a TV (instead of your phone or computer), it seems to be the decision is easy. (cheap TV solution if you don't have a PS3, xbox, etc: Google Chromecast; $35 streams NHL pretty well). Actually, the one argument for Center Ice is when you get the feed in HD, it probably is a little better quality than streaming. I'm not sure that's true with the new streaming platform though.

My house is fairly connected but all things being equal I'd prefer Center Ice through Directv. They always offers the games in HD, they offer home and road feeds, plus I can record it to my DVR and wait 30 or 45 minutes to start watching, then fast forward through intermissions and commercials. I have a Chromecast in my bedroom that I can stream to from my desktop or my girlfriend's laptop to the tv and in the living room we have her old laptop with the busted screen that we have hooked directly into the tv via vga cable. The downside with streaming for me is usually occasional buffering to go along with lesser picture quality and the inability to rewind and fast forward. Plus if I'm willing to go through that hassle just to save $40 I might as well stream it illegally and save the other $100 as well.

My house is fairly connected but all things being equal I'd prefer Center Ice through Directv. They always offers the games in HD, they offer home and road feeds, plus I can record it to my DVR and wait 30 or 45 minutes to start watching, then fast forward through intermissions and commercials. I have a Chromecast in my bedroom that I can stream to from my desktop or my girlfriend's laptop to the tv and in the living room we have her old laptop with the busted screen that we have hooked directly into the tv via vga cable. The downside with streaming for me is usually occasional buffering to go along with lesser picture quality and the inability to rewind and fast forward. Plus if I'm willing to go through that hassle just to save $40 I might as well stream it illegally and save the other $100 as well.

This is exactly what I do every game as well.  I sometimes wait an hour and you can watch every second of the game in just over an hour.

Not sure about all devices, but the Apple TV app allows you to start games at the beginning, pause rewind, fast forward.  Replays are usually up immediately or thereabouts. 

Edited to add, for clarity: allows you to start games in progress at the beginning. 

Edited by Sabres79

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.