Penn State: Second Mile could have stopped Sandusky

PASabreFan

Various threads over time have addressed the child sex abuse scandal at Penn State, so I wasn't sure where to put this update. The most logical thread to put it in is closed. The update revolves around Penn State wanting the Second Mile charity that Sandusky founded to pay some of the victims' insurance claims.

For the unaware, Sabres' chief development officer Cliff Benson was a board member of Second Mile and was on the charity's finance committee. He is a longtime Pegula friend who facilitated the purchase of the Sabres and a large donation by Pegula to Penn State.

Penn State wants the insurance companies of a charity founded by assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky to help pay out settlements to his sexual assault accusers.

WJAC-TV reports the university made the filing last week in Centre County Orphans' Court. In the filing, Penn State says The Second Mile was in a position to stop and prevent Sandusky from abusing children but negligently failed to do so.

http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/penn-state-wants-charitys-insurers-help-pay-sandusky-abuse-victims-the-second-mile

See also: http://wjactv.com/news/local/penn-state-believes-the-second-mile-should-pay-some-of-sandusky-victims-claims

It's no surprise that PSU is trying to find another insurance carrier to foot some of the bill. It sounded as though PSU was getting no traction in opposing its own carriers' denials of coverage for the settlement payouts (which denials were based on the fact that PSU should have given its carrier(s) notice of potential claims years (decades) before PSU did so).

Speaking of ol' Cliff, I wonder whatever became of that veterans housing project on East Ferry. They broke ground a year ago - since then, nothing doin'.

It's no surprise that PSU is trying to find another insurance carrier to foot some of the bill. It sounded as though PSU was getting no traction in opposing its own carriers' denials of coverage for the settlement payouts (which denials were based on the fact that PSU should have given its carrier(s) notice of potential claims years (decades) before PSU did so).

Speaking of ol' Cliff, I wonder whatever became of that veterans housing project on East Ferry. They broke ground a year ago - since then, nothing doin'.

Pretty sure Kaleta's uncle has that contract. Either him or Cody Hodgson's dad. 

Yeah, PSU is in a huge coverage battle (that's where the testimony of Victim 150, released last week, came from) and has to be looking to other pockets.

I am still semi-outraged and semi-shocked that PSU essentially skated away from this whole thing with minimal penalties. 

The program should've gotten the death penalty, with zero opportunity to even request reinstatement for at least 5 years.

I am still semi-outraged and semi-shocked that PSU essentially skated away from this whole thing with minimal penalties.

The program should've gotten the death penalty, with zero opportunity to even request reinstatement for at least 5 years.

You're semi outraged? I live here! It's awful! People still fly black bands with psu flags in memory of Joe Paterno. "We are! Because he was" emblazoned over Joe pa's head. It's a state of Holocaust deniers. "Oh, Joe didn't know! And he told the school when he found out, he's not a bad guy. Blame the school and Sandusky, it's all their fault! Joe Pa forever!!!"

Holy I hate football season! Especially when everyone is "heading down the the 3rd largest city in the state on Saturday heehaww!"

You're semi outraged? I ###### live here! It's ###### awful! People still fly black bands with psu flags in memory of Joe Paterno. "We are! Because he was" emblazoned over Joe pa's head. It's a state of Holocaust deniers. "Oh, Joe didn't know! And he told the school when he found out, he's not a bad guy. Blame the school and Sandusky, it's all their fault! Joe Pa forever!!!"

Holy ###### I hate football season! Especially when everyone is "heading down the the 3rd largest city in the state on Saturday heehaww!"

I agree 100%. In all the years I've been on the internet, my dealings with Joe Paterno supporters have been the worst. I once commented on a news story discussing a Joe Paterno mural at the school. I said "it's a shame what our society's priorities have become". I got so much hate from Penn State people saying exactly what you did: "You have no idea what you're talking about!", "Joe Paterno didn't know!" "Your faux rage is disgusting".

Apparently in the eyes of Penn State fans, Joe Paterno won a lot of football games. And just because he let a pedophile operate a child rape dungeon out of the team's shower room for decades doesn't mean we should forget that amazing accomplishment. Because... FOOTBALL!

You're semi outraged? I ###### live here! It's ###### awful! People still fly black bands with psu flags in memory of Joe Paterno. "We are! Because he was" emblazoned over Joe pa's head. It's a state of Holocaust deniers. "Oh, Joe didn't know! And he told the school when he found out, he's not a bad guy. Blame the school and Sandusky, it's all their fault! Joe Pa forever!!!"

Holy ###### I hate football season! Especially when everyone is "heading down the the 3rd largest city in the state on Saturday heehaww!"

sounds like the third plane of hell.

I agree 100%. In all the years I've been on the internet, my dealings with Joe Paterno supporters have been the worst. I once commented on a news story discussing a Joe Paterno mural at the school. I said "it's a shame what our society's priorities have become". I got so much hate from Penn State people saying exactly what you did: "You have no idea what you're talking about!", "Joe Paterno didn't know!" "Your faux rage is disgusting".

Apparently in the eyes of Penn State fans, Joe Paterno won a lot of football games. And just because he let a pedophile operate a child rape dungeon out of the team's shower room for decades doesn't mean we should forget that amazing accomplishment. Because... FOOTBALL!

Outside of people who commit violent crimes and acts of terrorism, JoePa apologists are my least favourite people in the world. 

• 3 months later...

I happened to notice that there was a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the women's veterans housing development that the Sabres Foundation supported.

What looks like a press release is here:

http://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/current/2016/10/17/126312/buffalo-sabres-foundation-partners-celebrate-grand-opening-of-patriot-heights

The thing that jumped out at me: Someone named Jureller was identified as the foundation's president. Not Cliff Benson.

It would appear that Cliff had a ... very quiet departure from the Sabres organization.

http://www.psu.edu/trustees/members/benson.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.