Evander Kane - Out rest of season UBI

LGR4GM

I think there has to be a recognition here that Murray had far more picks and prospects than he could ever sign.

If we didn't make the Fasching/Kane/ROR deals we could potentially be five players over the 50-contract limit right now.

We had to make quantity for quality deals.

Now, whether we traded the right prospects and picks for the right players, that's a different debate.

Personally, I've always been in favour of identifying the players you want and paying the price.

And that is the philosophy TM professes AFTER he's determined which of his are 'keepers' relative to the rest of the stable. Hopefully he's right more often than not on the keepers. If not, the drought will continue & his tenure will be short. From what I've seen so far, I'm more expecting him here for the long haul.

I think there has to be a recognition here that Murray had far more picks and prospects than he could ever sign.

If we didn't make the Fasching/Kane/ROR deals we could potentially be five players over the 50-contract limit right now.

We had to make quantity for quality deals.

Now, whether we traded the right prospects and picks for the right players, that's a different debate.

Personally, I've always been in favour of identifying the players you want and paying the price.

I hear this refrain and simply can't join in.  GMTM has a eye for talent but its not unbiased.  The issue I have with him is he seems to pay sticker price.  Kane was going to be dealt either at the deadline or over the summer.  The premium he paid to get him before was exorbitant imho.  I would have stopped at Lemieux.  The first was too much.  It has nothing to do with contracts but rather having more ammo for the next deal.  Lehner was a huge overpay.  If your wife came home with a 2014 corolla and "only" paid 40k, you would be less than happy.  I think that is what many here question about GMTM.  The winning trades meme is misplaced as well.  Its asset management. RIAs go to jail for overpaying like Tim does.  Jmho.

I hear this refrain and simply can't join in.  GMTM has a eye for talent but its not unbiased.  The issue I have with him is he seems to pay sticker price.  Kane was going to be dealt either at the deadline or over the summer.  The premium he paid to get him before was exorbitant imho.  I would have stopped at Lemieux.  The first was too much.  It has nothing to do with contracts but rather having more ammo for the next deal.  Lehner was a huge overpay.  If your wife came home with a 2014 corolla and "only" paid 40k, you would be less than happy.  I think that is what many here question about GMTM.  The winning trades meme is misplaced as well.  Its asset management. RIAs go to jail for overpaying like Tim does.  Jmho.

Except that we know that if Murray didn't pay the first for Lehner, Ottawa was sending him elsewhere - whatever Our next best offer was, it wasn't good enough. Not sure who we were bidding against - Sharks or Oilers, probably - but we paid "market" value. The Sharks paid a first for Martin Jones in the same market, a goalie with a similar pedigree.

You and others may say we would have been better off grabbing a cheaper option like Neuvirth or Talbot or Lack and time may prove you right.

I always thought Darcy Regier was a very good asset manager, better than Murray has seemed.

IT does seem so far though that Murray has a more cohesive vision for a team.

I can give case cites.

Btw, I like Murray.  I just wish he would not fixate so much on what he wants.

isn't this what a GM is supposed to do.....find what he wants and go get it? there will always be some with the "we overpaid" argument.....this team is much better since Murray took over....getting O'Reilly was probably his best move....Kane and Bogo are big upgrades...

Except that we know that if Murray didn't pay the first for Lehner, Ottawa was sending him elsewhere - whatever Our next best offer was, it wasn't good enough. Not sure who we were bidding against - Sharks or Oilers, probably - but we paid "market" value. The Sharks paid a first for Martin Jones in the same market, a goalie with a similar pedigree.

You and others may say we would have been better off grabbing a cheaper option like Neuvirth or Talbot or Lack and time may prove you right.

I always thought Darcy Regier was a very good asset manager, better than Murray has seemed.

IT does seem so far though that Murray has a more cohesive vision for a team.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a GM that could sell as high as Regier, that being said I think it's a unanimous decision that Murray has a better eye for young talent. Schneider was probably the most recent proven #1 goalie to get moved, and he fetched a ninth overall.

I respect the fact that when he wants someone, he goes out and gets them. I do think he overpaid though, I mean it earlier of a buyers market for Kane and O'reilly and he paid a steep enough price. I would prefer that over Eichel and Reinhart having nobody to play with though.

Still kind of hoping the Kane trade was more of a victim or circumstance, hopefully next year he scores 50 and we can move him for someone with a better attitude.

Just for the record I want to comment on the " kane plays a tough game that's why he's oft hurt. I disagree with that entirely. I don't have the stats but if someone wants to look into it, pretty sure I'm correct in saying, there is absolutely no correlation between the amount of hits a guy lays and how many games he misses.

isn't this what a GM is supposed to do.....find what he wants and go get it? there will always be some with the "we overpaid" argument.....this team is much better since Murray took over....getting O'Reilly was probably his best move....Kane and Bogo are big upgrades...

Again, no stats to back this up, but pretty confident that if you found the stats Bogo has not been an upgrade, let alone big upgrade to Myers.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a GM that could sell as high as Regier, that being said I think it's a unanimous decision that Murray has a better eye for young talent. Schneider was probably the most recent proven #1 goalie to get moved, and he fetched a ninth overall.

I respect the fact that when he wants someone, he goes out and gets them. I do think he overpaid though, I mean it earlier of a buyers market for Kane and O'reilly and he paid a steep enough price. I would prefer that over Eichel and Reinhart having nobody to play with though.

Still kind of hoping the Kane trade was more of a victim or circumstance, hopefully next year he scores 50 and we can move him for someone with a better attitude.

Just for the record I want to comment on the " kane plays a tough game that's why he's oft hurt. I disagree with that entirely. I don't have the stats but if someone wants to look into it, pretty sure I'm correct in saying, there is absolutely no correlation between the amount of hits a guy lays and how many games he misses.

Again, no stats to back this up, but pretty confident that if you found the stats Bogo has not been an upgrade, let alone big upgrade to Myers.

Are stats the only way to measure a players ability....? He may not be a big upgrade from Myers but Kane over Stafford tilts it in our favor.......and please do not tell me you prefer Stafford over Kane

Myers would blow a tire every so often, fall down in a heap and turn the puck over. I've yet to see Bogo do that.

Just conceptually, is it ever okay to overpay in your view?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.