Who Is The Biggest Disappointment So Far?

bob_sauve28

I really hate this rhetoric of working class, blue collar pride that Buffalo has. It seems like a really poor way to make up for our lack of winning. Marv was, from everything I've heard, a pretty bad coach. 

Buffoon or not, Bellichick is an ass, but he's an ass that wins. That's all that matters

I am curious as to who you 'hear' things from regarding Marv Levy. Yes, four consecutive Super Bowl appearance achieved in spite of Marv's bad coaching. That's revisionist history on par with Holocaust and Moon Landing deniers. 

I am curious as to who you 'hear' things from regarding Marv Levy. Yes, four consecutive Super Bowl appearance achieved in spite of Marv's bad coaching. That's revisionist history on par with Holocaust and Moon Landing deniers.

I hear it from people who watched them when they went, many I know blame Marv for the Giants and one if the Cowboys where we went into halftime with the lead

I believe in the Holocaust and the Moon landing

My issue with the Bills comes from how often they beat themselves. How many losses do you leave thinking "They should have won that but they sabotaged themselves"?

All of them in my lifetime?  It sure feels like it sometimes. 

I get the sneaky feeling the Bills will have every opportunity to make the playoffs the last week of the season and a cluster of epic proportions will derail the season.  Possibly a termination worthy cluster. 

All of them in my lifetime?  It sure feels like it sometimes. 

I get the sneaky feeling the Bills will have every opportunity to make the playoffs the last week of the season and a cluster###### of epic proportions will derail the season.  Possibly a termination worthy cluster######. 

Ground hog day...

I hear it from people who watched them when they went, many I know blame Marv for the Giants and one if the Cowboys where we went into halftime with the lead

I believe in the Holocaust and the Moon landing

Glad to hear you're on-board with historic 20th century events! Sorry for the hyperbole.

I watched almost every game of Levy's tenure with the Bills, and probably 90% of the games since. He is far and away the best coach they've had, although I wasn't around for Lou Saban (I was for Chuck Knox, he was over rated). I was actually at the 4th Super Bowl game where they lost to the Cowboys after leading by 6 at half. That Cowboys team was unstoppable in the 2nd half. It wasn't a coaching issue.  

Anyway, some subjective and objective data can be found in this article:

http://www.footballperspective.com/records-of-great-coaches-against-great-coaches/

Short story is that ESPN ranked Levy as 17th all time NFL coach in a poll in 2013 and his career regular season record head-to-head vs. all other coaches in the Top 25 was 50-44 and in the playoffs it was 7-6. That may not sound great, being only a little over .500 win % but remember it's against the other 24 top coaches of all time (of course that's a subjective list, so let's just say 24 other great coaches) and includes his years with the Chiefs. 

Marv wasn't the greatest coach ever but when he was outcoached it was typically by another great coach, and they usually didn't beat him the next time. 

Edited by Sakman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.