Biggest Area Of Need

WildCard

I don't think your wrong.  I think Lehner is always going to be a sub-par goalie.

Why do you think so? 

(I am still optimistic in Lehner for the long term, he's quite a combination of big and mobile, with a Billy Smith/Ron Hextall capacity for nastiness). 

Edited by X. Benedict

Oh Yeh, I am not really sold on that choice. Believe Lehner is one of TM's miscalulations as a number 1 and could prove if he is too stubborn about it, a fatal flaw in what appears to be a pretty well executed plan of improvement. Not saying Lehner is bad just not the level this young team needs.

I don't think your wrong.  I think Lehner is always going to be a sub-par goalie.

I choose to look at what we have more data on for my projections.  Tim Murray has a solid track record of identifying talent.  For now I am willing to go with his opinion on Lehner.

I choose to look at what we have more data on for my projections.  Tim Murray has a solid track record of identifying talent.  For now I am willing to go with his opinion on Lehner.

I hope Murray proves me wrong.

I think he just needs to get healthy. He'll get there. 

I still favor Ullmark or someone else in our system as the long term solution.

IMO, it's too early for concerns. There are no strengths or weaknesses at this point, only potential. We have to let this thing play out before we can come to any definitive conclusions. There just isn't enough data to come to any conclusions. 

It's a forum and the thread is meant for discussion. There is plenty of room to speculate what our weaknesses are

We need a year or two of young guys staying down in the AHL so when we do have injuries we can call them up. Right now we lack depth but since we had DR trade so many 1st and 2nd round picks for so many years, we actually need to rebuild the pipeline as well as bring in the high end talent that we have.

I hope Murray proves me wrong.

I still favor Ullmark or someone else in our system as the long term solution.

Indeed.. I hope this as well.

He traded Ben Bishop, didn't he?

Well, he was the Asst. GM.  But that said, he traded for Ben Bishop when Anderson was injured.  They already had Lehner in the system.  They moved Bishop to Tampa for very little (Conacher and a 4th) at the trade deadline the following year.  I would imagine the thought being that Lehner was their goalie of the future as he started the following season.  The concussion is what made everything else goofy at that point.  

The goalie situation went even more goofy in Ottawa after Murray came to Buffalo.  But Brian Murray said that Lehner was movable once they acquired O'Connor. 

I would imagine, that if Tim Murray had the same in the Bishop handling then he must believe that Lehner was a better fit long term than Bishop.

It's a forum and the thread is meant for discussion. There is plenty of room to speculate what our weaknesses are

I just can't get there after 5 games. There are just too many new pieces that have been playing together for a month. For myself, I need to see a lot more before I start having concerns. 

Tim Murray has a solid track record of identifying talent. For now I am willing to go with his opinion on Lehner.

Does he? I think the jury is still out. All we have to show for his tenure, so far, is a bunch of losing.

What he has assembled looks good on paper, and, maybe, performs well in NHL 16, but we're talking about a team that, five games in, isn't dropping our collective jaws.

I'm not getting down on Murray, indeed, I like the guy, but lets not create a reputation that supercedes the facts.

Does he? I think the jury is still out. All we have to show for his tenure, so far, is a bunch of losing.

What he has assembled looks good on paper, and, maybe, performs well in NHL 16, but we're talking about a team that, five games in, isn't dropping our collective jaws.

I'm not getting down on Murray, indeed, I like the guy, but lets not create a reputation that supercedes the facts.

He does.  Go back and look at the links posted when Murray was hired.  His biggest asset was his ability as a talent evaluator.  He gets a lot of credit for Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Lupul in Anaheim.  Marc Staal in NY.  Karlsson with Ottawa. There are more as well.  But the thought process was he was pretty influential in the drafting of the players by those teams when he was involved.

As far as Buffalo goes it's a bit tougher to judge due to the short time period.  The losing was a necessity brought about by poor drafting prior to Murray.  That just has to be accepted.  Could he have turned the team around faster and made them a middling ability team... probably.  That would have solved nothing.

If you don't want to look for the links just google "Tim Murray talent evaluation" and you'll get some articles.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.