UPDATED: Sabres sign 2 yr Deal w/Cody Franson

Brawndo

Fifth vet is Colaiacovo - one-way contract, except for a brief rehab stint, hasn't played in the minors for years.

I think Donovan also has a one-way deal too, but he isn't a proven NHLer.

Didn't even think of Colaiacovo for some reason. I wonder if both of those guys would clear waivers. How do waivers work during training camp/pre-season anyways, I always forget. If Carlo and Donovan don't make the team out of camp, do they have to still clear waivers to head to Rochester to start the season there?

If you've lost your waiver exemption (usually after three years pro) you have to clear waivers before being assigned to the minors. A team cannot have more than 23 players on the NHL roster.

Not typically a huge risk with most fringe players because the team placing the waiver claim would have to think a Varone or Cal O'Reilly is a significant upgrade over their NHL guys. It's more of a gamble with a guy like Donovan, who may still be young enough to have some upside, or Colaiacovo who might be an upgrade on some team's number six guy. It's always tough to lose depth, especially on defence.

If the Sabres keep Reinhart, Risto, McCabe and Eichel, that means two of Colaiacovo, Donovan, Weber, Legwand, McCormick or Deslauriers would likely be waived, meaning guys like Ruhwedel, Varone and O'Reilly could become your primary injury replacements.

If you've lost your waiver exemption (usually after three years pro) you have to clear waivers before being assigned to the minors. A team cannot have more than 23 players on the NHL roster.

Not typically a huge risk with most fringe players because the team placing the waiver claim would have to think a Varone or Cal O'Reilly is a significant upgrade over their NHL guys. It's more of a gamble with a guy like Donovan, who may still be young enough to have some upside, or Colaiacovo who might be an upgrade on some team's number six guy. It's always tough to lose depth, especially on defence.

If the Sabres keep Reinhart, Risto, McCabe and Eichel, that means two of Colaiacovo, Donovan, Weber, Legwand, McCormick or Deslauriers would likely be waived, meaning guys like Ruhwedel, Varone and O'Reilly could become your primary injury replacements.

The thing I am a little unclear on though is how things are before the regular season actually starts. The Sabres will have a load of players in training camp destined for the AHL, like Varone, Ruhwedel, etc. So if I am understanding correctly, those guys will still have their waiver exemption, not having played 3 full pro seasons? I understand how waivers work in season and the 23 man limit and all that, was just curious if there were different "assigning to minors" rules before the season actually started.

Anyways, I don't think McCabe is going to make the team out of camp. If I had to guess, I also think that Colaiacovo will be the odd man out, sent back to play in Rochester. (assuming he clears waivers, I suppose)

Edited by Thorny

Varone is waiver eligible. I'd have to check on Ruhwedel I think he is a special case and is also eligible because he signed as a free agent late in the season.

To your main point, teams don't have to waive anybody until the official cutdown day a couple days before the start of the season but they can and do. sometimes it's safer to do it early.

I think Franson means McCabe and Donovan go down.

Edited by dudacek

The thing I am a little unclear on though is how things are before the regular season actually starts. The Sabres will have a load of players in training camp destined for the AHL, like Varone, Ruhwedel, etc. So if I am understanding correctly, those guys will still have their waiver exemption, not having played 3 full pro seasons? I understand how waivers work in season and the 23 man limit and all that, was just curious if there were different "assigning to minors" rules before the season actually started.

Anyways, I don't think McCabe is going to make the team out of camp. If I had to guess, I also think that Colaiacovo will be the odd man out, sent back to play in Rochester. (assuming he clears waivers, I suppose)

The main differences between preseason and regular season is no upper limit on roster size (neglecting the 50 pro contract limit) and you can be over the cap by 10%.

Guys that get sent down to Ra-cha-cha that need to clear waivers in-season still need to clear them in pre-season.

Varone is waiver eligible. I'd have to check on Ruhwedel I think he is a special case and is also eligible because he signed as a free agent late in the season.

To your main point, teams don't have to waive anybody until the official cutdown day a couple days before the start of the season but they can and do. sometimes it's safer to do it early.

I think Franson means McCabe and Donovan go down.

The main differences between preseason and regular season is no upper limit on roster size (neglecting the 50 pro contract limit) and you can be over the cap by 10%.

Guys that get sent down to Ra-cha-cha that need to clear waivers in-season still need to clear them in pre-season.

Alrighty, thanks, all makes sense to me now!

I suppose the 7th d-man sport will be down to Donovan or Colaiacovo. Donovan was known as a PP guy, correct? So you could be right dudacek in that the arrival of Franson, who himself is known as a PP guy could mean the last spot goes to Carlo.

It still pisses me off.  I got in the dumbest argument with the (Bruins fan) captain of my hockey team over that call.

I feel like even the most biased fan should be able to see that hit for what it was: A very regular, commonplace hit. There's literally nothing going on there.

Edited by Thorny

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty interesting fancystats piece on Franson:  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-cody-franson-is-the-nhls-best-bargain-player/

The problem is that because the perception of Franson is he’s an offensive defenceman who needs defensive sheltering, this drop in production (four points in 23 games with Nashville) had many thinking it was a “bad” trade for the Predators. But this is far from reality.

Franson's possession impacts were still very solid and he actually led all Nashville defencemen in shot attempt percentage while on the ice after his arrival. Yet, despite being a reliable contributor on the blueline, his drop in offence led to him failing the eye test.

Eventually, Franson and the Buffalo Sabres agreed on a two-year deal with a $3.325 million cap hit. That’s only a $25,000 raise for a UFA top-four defender with size who ranks eighth in road game hits and 26th in defenceman scoring over the past three seasons.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.