Gustav Nyquist - RFA

IvanPutski

I highly doubt Murray would be stupid enough to make an RFA offer giving up first round picks and other assets.

The money bar for first round pick compensation is relatively low so any RFA we'd theoretically sign for less than that amount would almost certainly be matched, which makes it all kind of a moot point.

I'd give up a 1st round pick next year for Tarasenko or Toffoli, possibly Saad.

Unless Murray expects to be a lottery team, I would definitely look into getting proven players for next year's draft picks.

Giving up a 1st round pick for Tarasenko would be "stupid?" Lol, come on.

I'd give up a 1st round pick next year for Tarasenko or Toffoli, possibly Saad.

Unless Murray expects to be a lottery team, I would definitely look into getting proven players for next year's draft picks.

Giving up a 1st round pick for Tarasenko would be "stupid?" Lol, come on.

What if it end up being the first pick overall.

I'd give up a 1st round pick next year for Tarasenko or Toffoli, possibly Saad.Unless Murray expects to be a lottery team, I would definitely look into getting proven players for next year's draft picks.Giving up a 1st round pick for Tarasenko would be "stupid?" Lol, come on.

No GM expects to be a lottery team, just ask Peter Chiarelli or Dean Lombardi. With the top three picks being available by lottery next year I would hesitate on offer sheets that would cost multiple first rounders

What if it end up being the first pick overall.

Giving up our 2016 first to get Tarasenko would include giving up at best a 20% chance of Auston Matthews. I would trade a first round pick, that entails at best a 20% chance at being first overall (if we come in last again) to acquire a player of Tarasenko's caliber.

However, looking at the compensation chart, the Blues would very likely match the number we would offer, that would result in only a first and third being given up as compensation. If I am reading it correctly, the dollar amount required to get Tarasenko would likely result in the compensation we would have to give up being: two firsts, a second and a third.

I would not make that offer.

For the record the compensation chart this year should be somewhere in the range of:

$8.6M and above: 4 firsts

$7M to $8.5M: 2 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd

$5.3M to $6.9M: 1st, 2nd and a 3rd

$3.5M to $5.2M: 1st and 3rd

$1.8M to $3.4M: 2nd

$1.3M to $1.7M: 3rd

$1.2M and below: none

Remember it's the total divided by five... NOT the AAV (unless the AAV is greater than the total divided by five)

Edited by Hoss

Giving up our 2016 first to get Tarasenko would include giving up at best a 20% chance of Auston Matthews. I would trade a first round pick, that entails at best a 20% chance at being first overall (if we come in last again) to acquire a player of Tarasenko's caliber.

However, looking at the compensation chart, the Blues would very likely match the number we would offer, that would result in only a first and third being given up as compensation. If I am reading it correctly, the dollar amount required to get Tarasenko would likely result in the compensation we would have to give up being: two firsts, a second and a third.

I would not make that offer.

Exactly. People always make the so and so if worth a 1st argument without actually looking at the compensation chart. I'm sure just about any GM would be willing to give up a 1st round pick for Tarasenko but the Blues would rather keep him at the price that would equal that compensation. The only way to really get a quality RFA that the current GM wouldn't match is to severely overpay and then the compensation is much higher than that.

Nykquist is a sniper. I really like his game. It depends on the price to get him. But on the other hand you can't talk about players like they're chips in a poker game. They like living in some cities and despise other cities. My feeling is he's probably happy with the chemistry on the Wings and although there's some hope with the Sabres, you can't eat hope for breakfast. Losing sucks and I just don't see too many good people wanting to come here until the ball is already rolling and the Sabres actually have a winning record.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.