Next Years Starting Goaltender - 2015 Ed.

LGR4GM

Where'd he say that? I must have missed it.

Flagg beat me to it:

He said Samsonov is ranked on his list similar to where our first islander pick is, and said it is likely we take a goalie in the draft but didn't guarantee it'd be early

Murray said we'll likely take one this year. Only comment about taking one early is that it MAY be early. Didn't say it's likely as Liger said.

NHL goalies that seem to be at least somewhat available:

Antti Niemi - SJ (UFA)

Craig Anderson - OTT

Robin Lehner - OTT

Eddie Lack - VAN

Cam Talbot - NYR

Brian Elliott - St. Louis

Kari Ramo - CGY (UFA)

Jimmy Howard - DET

Martin Jones - LA (RFA)

Edited by Hoss

with Murray stating they are picking a goalie fairly early in this draft, I would guess they look for a 3 year stop gap type of player. Someone solid for at least this year who can be edged into the backup role if one of the kids is good. 

Craig Anderson 

with Murray stating they are picking a goalie fairly early in this draft, I would guess they look for a 3 year stop gap type of player. Someone solid for at least this year who can be edged into the backup role if one of the kids is good. 

Where'd he say that? I must have missed it. 

Think NFL GM pre draft speak. !

Lindback shouldn't be an option as either a starter or backup.  He was one of the worst goalies in the NHL last season, and the only thing that made him go from awful in Dallas to below average in Buffalo is the fact that Nolan was having them play some sort of a system that allowed a lot of shots, but not great chances.  Also, all the talk of Irbe being a miracle worker is just that.  Nolan and his collapse around the goalie system is what made every goalie here last year look better than they really were.

Irbe>>>very overrated 

Lindback shouldn't be an option as either a starter or backup. He was one of the worst goalies in the NHL last season, and the only thing that made him go from awful in Dallas to below average in Buffalo is the fact that Nolan was having them play some sort of a system that allowed a lot of shots, but not great chances. Also, all the talk of Irbe being a miracle worker is just that. Nolan and his collapse around the goalie system is what made every goalie here last year look better than they really were.

Irbe>>>very overrated

Good post. This is what I think every time somebody calls Irbe the goalie whisperer. Irbe is still a good goaltending coach, but no coach can have that profound an effect on players. Talent is what makes a goalie good. That, and the crazy.

Lindback shouldn't be an option as either a starter or backup. He was one of the worst goalies in the NHL last season, and the only thing that made him go from awful in Dallas to below average in Buffalo is the fact that Nolan was having them play some sort of a system that allowed a lot of shots, but not great chances. Also, all the talk of Irbe being a miracle worker is just that. Nolan and his collapse around the goalie system is what made every goalie here last year look better than they really were.

Irbe>>>very overrated

Exactly. It's no surprise Lindback had okay numbers in Buffalo but was a disaster in Dallas and Tampa. I expect Bylsma to play a style that requires a goalie to make saves, not just stop pucks, which would badly expose Lindback who struggles mightily with side to side movement.

Someone needs to fire off an email to TM and crew since they kept Irbe on and are recommending Bylsma interview him. The email needs to end with "Sabrespace has spoken."

I didn't say Irbe has to be kicked to the curb...just that he is not the second coming of Harry Houdini.

Lindback shouldn't be an option as either a starter or backup.  He was one of the worst goalies in the NHL last season, and the only thing that made him go from awful in Dallas to below average in Buffalo is the fact that Nolan was having them play some sort of a system that allowed a lot of shots, but not great chances.  Also, all the talk of Irbe being a miracle worker is just that.  Nolan and his collapse around the goalie system is what made every goalie here last year look better than they really were.

Irbe>>>very overrated 

Good post Labatt,  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.