This is all

Johnny DangerFace

Agreed! Some dreams die hard but right now, this team is not the worst in the league. They're in position, checking, playing some solid D and actually putting the puck in the net.

Most of all, they know they're improving and are onboard with the concept Nolan is trying to teach.

Actually fun to watch!

Edited by Tony P

What was the original ending H.G. Wells had in mind? (I can take a guess given his views on Darwinism, but I couldn't find an answer on Google.)

I am reading a collection of 6 of his books now. The forward indicates that in the original, the ending wasn't happy and that it was changed for the American market. I was hoping the version I got was the original, but alas, the aliens get sick at the end.

I am reading a collection of 6 of his books now. The forward indicates that in the original, the ending wasn't happy and that it was changed for the American market. I was hoping the version I got was the original, but alas, the aliens get sick at the end.

He probably never wrote that original beyond an outline. I think WotW was originally published as a serial and the editor asked him what the ending was going to be before agreeing to move forward because the book was so violent and disturbing when written.

He probably never wrote that original beyond an outline. I think WotW was originally published as a serial and the editor asked him what the ending was going to be before agreeing to move forward because the book was so violent and disturbing when written.

Something like that. If I weren't so damned lazy I'd get up and flip through the book and see exactly what it said about the short story becoming the full length version, but I recall that it was def first published as a shorter story too.

The members of this board change their minds too much.

One day everyone is sick of 8th place finishes and first round exits and is embracing a tank. The next, everyone is hungry for a useless 8th place finish again.

Not everyone. I'm still in full support of the tank for the rest of this season. It can definitely be tough to stomach as bad as we have been at times for as long as we've been but the end is in sight. It's definitely taken a toll on my enthuisiasm for the team at this point. I always track the scores and progress of the team and I read every new post on this board like it's a second job, but I cancelled Center Ice and only watch online streams of games about half the time this year. It'll be nice when the team gets good again but I hope they don't really turn the corner to long term competitiveness until after the 2015 draft.

I just want to see the team get better to the point it is a perennial contender.

In a perfect world, the Garden Gloves era was the nadir for the team, and Darcy's firing the start of a long, slow climb back to respectability.

The goal for this season was not McDavid or bust. It was to install a foundation of hard work and team play, to see improvement from our young players and to add more young talent to the core. Ideally, that meant 65 points and DFL for us, and a lottery win by the Islanders.

But you can't put all your chips on the tank. The lottery and the ineptitude of other teams are outside our control. And deliberately creating a culture of losing puts the young assets we already have at risk.

Picking 4th, 21st and 28th doesn't mean groundhog day. It was always about Murray acquiring and developing assets into good players. We will add more good players. Then we will have to develop them or move them for better players. That's how contenders are built. Finishing last this year doesn't guarantee us future Stanley Cups. Finishing 24th doesn't doom us to perpetual mediocrity.

When push comes to shove, we are a bad team with a better chance than most at McEichel, but even if we try to finish last, that chance is still no guarantee of team success moving forward.

To me, this season could have gone a couple ways, and it still can:

We suck as bad as last year, create all kinds of doubt about our leadership and young players, but get McEichel.

Or we improve because the Myers and the Girgensons and Ristos start to emerge in the better culture the Nolans and Giontas and Gorges help create.

Either way, we are better off than last year.

Edited by dudacek

I just want to see the team get better to the point it is a perennial contender.

In a perfect world, the Garden Gloves era was the nadir for the team, and Darcy's firing the start of a long, slow climb back to respectability.

The goal for this season was not McDavid or bust. It was to install a foundation of hard work and team play, to see improvement from our young players and to add more young talent to the core. Ideally, that meant 65 points and DFL for us, and a lottery win by the Islanders.

But you can't put all your chips on the tank. The lottery and the ineptitude of other teams are outside our control. And deliberately creating a culture of losing puts the young assets we already have at risk.

Picking 4th, 21st and 28th doesn't mean groundhog day. It was always about Murray acquiring and developing assets into good players. We will add more good players. Then we will have to develop them or move them for better players. That's how contenders are built. Finishing last this year doesn't guarantee us future Stanley Cups. Finishing 24th doesn't doom us to perpetual mediocrity.

When push comes to shove, we are a bad team with a better chance than most at McEichel, but even if we try to finish last, that chance is still no guarantee of team success moving forward.

To me, this season could have gone a couple ways, and it still can:

We suck as bad as last year, create all kinds of doubt about our leadership and young players, but get McEichel.

Or we improve because the Myers and the Girgensons and Ristos start to emerge in the better culture the Nolans and Giontas and Gorges help create.

Either way, we are better off than last year.

If I tried extremely hard, I could not have stated my feelings about this season any better than you did.

Winning is brought about as much by attitude and a work ethic as it is by talent. I hope that the young players on this team learn that this season and carry that lesson into the future. Then the players coming up behind them will no what is expected to make the team successful.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.