You can't teach an old dog new tricks; or, Why I'm not giving up on Teddy

darksabre

I disagree with all of this. Sorry. I think his passing has been fine as well, even on the Power Play. Although Tyler Ennis appears to be the only player who can receive a pass.

Big Tyler can defend. He can skate. He can shoot. But, the passing and decision making with the puck is what I question. IIRC Big Tyler wasn't even on the top PP unit until this year. Just a difference in perspective/opinion.

I'm obviously in the "trade Myers" for the right return camp. But, he is far from my least favorite player on this team. I'm giving that honor jointly to Meszaros and Hodgson. $8+ million spent on those two. Oof.

I know people don't like the idea of "they're not trying hard enough". It sounds way too simple doesn't it?

But it's the truth. We know it's the truth. It's been the truth for years here. You watch how other teams play. You watch how their players skate and position themselves, and then you see how the Sabres don't. They didn't do it when they had talent. They still aren't doing it.

And I don't think you can just make them do it. You're never going to get a complete game out of some of these guys. Stafford, Foligno and Hodgson are never going to give you that.

I don't know about that. Whenever Tampa gets beat down here it is always similar coach speak. "We didn't work hard enough ","we didn't come to play"....blah blah blah.

Talent wins and we have no talent. Period. Hard work will get you a win here and there when the other team doesn't show up but nothing is fixing this mess anytime soon.

TN called it like it is. We are a Pee Wee team. He can't say that anymore. So back to hard work and effort we go.

Edited by sicknfla

I don't know about that. Whenever Tampa gets beat down here it is always similar coach speak. "We didn't work hard enough ","we didn't come to play"....blah blah blah.

Talent wins and we have no talent. Period. Hard work will get you a win here and there when the other team doesn't show up but nothing is fixing this mess anytime soon.

TN called it like it is. We are a Pee Wee team. He can't say that anymore. So back to hard work and effort we go.

Here's the thing. When Tampa loses it likely has to do with players not playing to their potential, or that they just got beat. But their players have shown that they know how to work for it. Tampa made the playoffs with friggen Dwayne Roloson in net. That takes work.

The Sabres have had a problem for a while. Talent alone isn't fixing it.

At the moment, Myers is at best OK on the point, and making passes off the rush.

He is making good decisions on when to join the rush, when to pinch, and when break down low.

He is excelling at skating the puck out of the zone and protecting it from checkers.

His distribution skills in the half-court game are lacking. His shot doesn't get through enough.

He's probably a second unit PP guy.

Defensively he is blocking out and protecting the net very well.

He is also protecting the puck very well when he has it in our zone and using his size and reach to win more puck battles then he loses in the defensive corners.

He's doing a nice job thwarting the counterattack after a rush breaks down.

And he's doing it against the other team's best players, with very little help from the forwards.

Has far as I am concerned, he Girgensons and Gorges are the only players on the roster making a positive contribution.

I'm glad to see the advanced stats are backing up what my eyes are seeing.

Here's the thing. When Tampa loses it likely has to do with players not playing to their potential, or that they just got beat. But their players have shown that they know how to work for it. Tampa made the playoffs with friggen Dwayne Roloson in net. That takes work.

The Sabres have had a problem for a while. Talent alone isn't fixing it.

Tampa has had as much turnover as any team in the league the last 3 years. Yzerman came in and changed the culture. The coach he hired didn't work out so he fired him and moved on. He made some very unpopular moves that he wasn't afraid to make.

I hope GMTM has the same self confidence to pull the trigger with some of these guys. I agree with you some of them have to go or the culture will never change.

So did anyone else hear about Sabres Practice today? Hodgson got sent to the 4th line. The 4th line got told to wake the f up. And according to most reports Ted worked the guys hard enough to make Herb Brooks proud. By the end of practice people were finally getting pissed and showing emotions... I still don't think the October Sabres will be the January Sabres.

In one of the Blue and Gold episodes, I think the first one on Nolan, Hodgson and Nolan have a quick exchange during a practice that made me cringe.

FWIW, Foligno, Stafford, and Stewart are definitely on my sh*t list. I waver back and forth on Myers. Sometimes I think he gets it, and is talented, and is held back by the team. Sometimes I think less of him, and can see why he might be better traded, although I think ultimately regardless of where he "is at" he makes for a great piece on a playoff team.

Frankly, I didn't like Gionta until last night when I saw what he can do, and his line screwed him. I also like hearing that he "esploded" today. I'm still unsure what to think of him.

As much as I like Kaleta, I do not like having to rely on him. He will either get injured or suspended at the worst time...if you're depending on him.

So did anyone else hear about Sabres Practice today? Hodgson got sent to the 4th line. The 4th line got told to wake the f up. And according to most reports Ted worked the guys hard enough to make Herb Brooks proud. By the end of practice people were finally getting pissed and showing emotions... I still don't think the October Sabres will be the January Sabres.

Oh, the power of Chz... ;)

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22803-ted-nolan-i-learned-last-week-i-cant-say-whathow-i-feel/page__st__200#entry619124

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.