FCC announced an end to their support of sports blackouts

Hoss

Didn't really know where to put this, but the FCC had a vote this morning and announced that they will no longer support sporting events being blacked out. This means leagues can still do it but can't use the FCC as a crutch. They'll need better reasoning in the future.

(Mods - move this if you think there's a better place).

Edited by Tankalicious

I don't think that's quite it. I believe the FCC voted to withdraw the federal government's approval of the NFL's blackout policy. The NFL could, at least in theory, still enforce its policy (and the FCC commissioners has so said). It remains to be seen whether the NFL will do so now that the government approval has been withdrawn. I imagine that there could be some antitrust fears waiting in the wings that will essentially force the NFL's hand.

I don't think that's quite it. I believe the FCC voted to withdraw the federal government's approval of the NFL's blackout policy. The NFL could, at least in theory, still enforce its policy (and the FCC commissioners has so said). It remains to be seen whether the NFL will do so now that the government approval has been withdrawn. I imagine that there could be some antitrust fears waiting in the wings that will essentially force the NFL's hand.

Yes.

Well that's good news. Especially for those of us that are in the Syracuse Market (albeit barely), which is BARELY in the Buffalo market, which gets blacked out towards the end of every season. Maybe this is the start of the end of my frustrations with the last few home games of every season.

Well that's good news. Especially for those of us that are in the Syracuse Market (albeit barely), which is BARELY in the Buffalo market, which gets blacked out towards the end of every season. Maybe this is the start of the end of my frustrations with the last few home games of every season.

You will now be forced to watch a bad team play meaningless games throughout the Holiday Season.

I'm gonna have to check the Geneva Convention on this one, but I think the FCC may have just committed a war crime.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.