Guy Trottier passes

Marvelo

I just learned that "The Mouse" has passed away...on June 19. I had the pleasure of attending games with my dad and little brother at the old Aud and witnessing Buffalo's last major championship, when they won the AHL Calder Cup in '69-70.

5'8 Guy was a prolific goal scorer, bagging 45 in 68-69 and 55 in 69-70, the championship year and year before the Sabres made their first appearance in the NHL. Guy was my favorite, a quick, clever little guy who just kept shooting and scoring. RIP Guy Trottier.

https://benchedathle...9/guy-trottier/

Edited by 716

Same here. I learned to love hockey from the old wooden "greys" of the pre-expansion Aud watching the Bisons. I even own a red "Pepsi cap" Jersey. I have said for years, and even sent a suggestion to Ted Black, that the Sabres should honor the Bisons. I don't know why they never did. Although the prior 3rd jerseys are a small homage to the Bisons, borrowing the "Buffalo" font from the old Pepsi logo.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I just learned that "The Mouse" has passed away...on June 19. I had the pleasure of attending games at the old Aud and witnessing Buffalo's last major championship, when they won the AHL Calder Cup in '69-70. Glory!

5'8 Guy was a prolific goal scorer, bagging 45 in 68-69 and 55 in 69-70, the championship year and year before the Sabres made their first appearance in the NHL. Guy was my favorite, a quick, clever little guy who just kept shooting and scoring. RIP Guy Trottier.

https://benchedathle...9/guy-trottier/

Thanks for posting this. RIP.

I guess I'm not surprised that only five people recognized the name Guy Trottier but it's also sad that most of these so-called knowledgeable fans have no idea about this important guy in the history of Buffalo hockey. Not even the Buffalo News recognized him.

I guess I'm not surprised that only five people recognized the name Guy Trottier but it's also sad that most of these so-called knowledgeable fans have no idea about this important guy in the history of Buffalo hockey. Not even the Buffalo News recognized him.

I had no idea who he was. I'll get off your lawn.

Looking over the 69-70 roster of the Bisons, old timers might find some familiar names...including Wayne Maki (of the Teddy Green incident), Terry Crisp, Bill Plager, Forbes Kennedy, Orland Kurtenbach...and Mike Robitaille. And don't forget Gilles Villemure.

http://www.hockeydb....0002311970.html

Villemure had the coolest mask. For a $400 you can buy an autographed replica...

Edited by 716

Well, I don't know about anyone else here but I'd like to apologize for being so ignorant. I thought I was knowledgeable - thanks to you now I realize I should've dedicated more free time to reading everything I could possibly find on the history of Buffalo hockey. How lucky to have you here pointing out the ignorance of others. Thanks again.

if Pegula had a 3rd uniform with the red pepsi caps, fans would go bonkers. It's so much better than the Sabres uniforms.

The 3rd jerseys before the current ones featured the "Buffalo" lifted right off the Pepsi cap logo.

maTBj7mvvxoltHbPN85P0mQ.jpgbisons-ahl-002.jpg

I suspect the reason there has never been a Bisons night is that the FNC is a venue that is contracted to pour only Coca Cola products.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I remember Guy Trottier and the rest of the '69-'70 Bisons pretty well, and thanks for posting this.

I was 13 and my brother was 12, and our parents let us take the NFT bus from North Buffalo down to the old Aud at night by ourselves, because there were many other adults and families on the same bus going to the game. I can't imagine parents allowing their kids to do this today!

The Aud had a haze of smoke filling the air in the upper Grey seats.

Besides Guy and Gilles Villemure, my other favorites were Billy Knibbs and Sheldon Kannegieser. I actually do remember a young Mike Robitaille playing for them in the playoffs; I met him as an instructor at Halliburton Hockey Haven the summer before.

Great memories!

Well, I don't know about anyone else here but I'd like to apologize for being so ignorant. I thought I was knowledgeable - thanks to you now I realize I should've dedicated more free time to reading everything I could possibly find on the history of Buffalo hockey. How lucky to have you here pointing out the ignorance of others. Thanks again.

your welcome... http://www.amazon.com/Before-Blade-complete-History-Buffalo/dp/0966978404

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.