Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Recap from Saturday Jan 31 Players who may be of interest to the Sabres with later 1st round picks

Travis Konecny C Ottawa 1G 3A 

Daniel Sprong RW Charlottetown  no game

Timo Meier RW Halifax 1 assist

Yevgeni Svechnikov LW Cape Breton no game

Jake Debrusk LW Swift Current 0 points

Paul Bittner C Portland 0G 3A

Brock Boeser C Waterloo 0 points

Interesting to see who is heating up:

Coming into January PPG:

Konecny .88

Sprong .75

Meier .81

Bittner .82

During the Month of January
Konecny  11GP 8G 10A  1.64PPG

Sprong    11GP 4G 11A  1.36PPG

Meier        9GP 7G   9A  1.78PPG

Bittner     14GP 6G 10A  1.14PPG

Debrusk (1.03prior and 1.00during)and Svechnikov (1.33v1.08) stayed consistent 

Boesser struggled .70PPG for January vs 1.38 prior 

I really would love to land Bittner with one of our later firsts. He's a big kid still learning how to be big, but he's got a good game. A leader. Plus he has the perfect name for a guy with some edge.

I can just picture Paul Bittner in our black goat head unis.

Edited by Tank

Oh and here is why I love Boeser.  1st, natural RHS and RW which is never a bad thing to have.  2nd, he is a shooter which is something we need.  3rd he is physical and is listed at 6'1" 192lbs which is damn close to pro weight.  I have just really started to love this kid. Again we shall see how things go.

EliteProspects

A dynamic offensive winger and natural goal scorer. Has great instincts and is able to quickly get into position for premium scoring chances; possesses an accurate release on his shot which he can get off in the blink of an eye. He always knows where his linemates are, and is a great passer; that being said, his individual puck possession play is incredible and sets him apart as an offensive player. He will need to work on defensive zone coverage and a slew of small details such as board battles, but Brock Boeser has a ton of elite-level scoring potential due to the way he can read, make, and finish plays. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Future Considerations

A big power winger who utilizes his size and strength to generate offensive chances…a real do-it-all guy…plays hard in all three zones…has a great compete level…protects the puck extremely well, especially with defenders draped all over him…fights through any contact he encounters…has a lethal shot, quick release and very accurate…drive the net…can also pull up and set-up his teammates with a skilled pass…defensively he does a great job taking away shooting lanes and forcing the other team to adjust their plan…a real pro-style player. (December 2014)

So as I stated in another post, my late round guys are Greenway, Boeser and Bittner right now. For defense I said Zboril but if you like a bit more of a stay at home and eat babies type of kid, Brandon Carlo... 6'5" 17yr old who is only at 185lbs (some list him at 205)... he's gonna get bigger.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120965

"Brandon Carlo is an industrious, shift-by-shift defenceman who lets the game come to him rather than chasing the play; he is able to quickly adapt to the pace of the game on the fly. Through maneuvering his way around the ice and making high-percentage, skilled decisions in all three zones, he is able to shut opposition offense down before it begins to take shape. Carlo is a smooth skater who can control the puck very well and get into open areas for scoring chances; that being said, he does and will need help finding offense due to his natural defensive style of play. All-in-all, a towering, defensive d-man that has very few holes in his game and is physically ready to make the next step."

Edited by LGR4GM

Going off Liger's comments for who I like in the late first right now:

Paul Bittner, 6'4" 202 lbs, LW for the Portland Winterhawks

He's a big kid learning how to be a man still. He plays hard and is a leader on the ice with how he plays. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays against bigger, stronger players. Powers his way along the offensive zone and to the net, but he needs to be using his skill on a more consistent basis. He's been on fire as of late which has him nearing a PPG pace.

Jansen Harkins, 6'1" 180 lbs, C for the Prince George Cougars

You could pretty much read what I said about Bittner for Harkins, but he's not quite as big. On the other end of that, though, he has more skill than Bittner. He has kind of burst onto the scene this year doubling his production level. He's been under-the-radar here, but there's a good chance we don't get a crack at him without trading up. Plays all three zones very well. He's got that hard-to-play against style that everybody wants. Might be a pure upside pick since he only has one good year under his belt now.

So as I stated in another post, my late round guys are ...

It keeps slipping my mind that we have more than one first round draft pick.  I haven't even begun to think about what we should do there.  We, and by we, I mean everyone, including the entire team's god damned win-loss record, have been so focused on McEichel.  If the standings are an indication, and they're not, we also have the 24th and 28th picks (and 31st and 54th).  1 or 2 overall and five of the top 54ish!

If the Blues and Islanders drop the first rounds, we could have, roughly: 1/2, 15, 16, 31, and 45.

iX9gQMQ.gif

My tank is so hard right now.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

It keeps slipping my mind that we have more than one first round draft pick.  I haven't even begun to think about what we should do there.  We, and by we, I mean everyone, including the entire team's god damned win-loss record, have been so focused on McEichel.  If the standings are an indication, and they're not, we also have the 24th and 28th picks (and 31st and 54th).  1 or 2 overall and five of the top 54ish!

If the Blues and Islanders drop the first rounds, we could have, roughly: 1/2, 15, 16, 31, and 45.

iX9gQMQ.gif

My tank is so hard right now.

If that lasts longer than 4 hours seek immediate stripper attention.

Since the Blues have always been one of my "after the Sabres are eliminated" teams then I'll continue that this year. I want to see them win it all this year. If they don't? Nice consolation prize. If they do? Nice. Pick 30 is fine with me considering our other assets. Ever since Paul Kariya joined them I enjoyed watching them. Plus they don't really have any players I dislike to go along with an overall nice look with their logo/jerseys.

On the other hand I hope the Isles are swept in the first round.

Selected Sabres draft picks near these positions:

1/2: Sam Reinhart, Pierre Turgeon, Gilbert Perrault

15ish: Zemgus Girgensens, Jay McKee, Brad May, Calle Johansson, Ric Seilig, Larry Playfair

16ish: Nikita Zadorov, Dimitri Kalinin, Marty Biron, Dave Andreychuk

31ish: Brendan Lemiuex, JT Compher, Derek Roy, Cory Sarich, Jason Dawe, Benoit Hogue, Danny Gare

45ish: Eric Cornel, Justin Bailey, Jake McCabe, Jhonas Enroth, Hank Tallinder, Curtis Brown

So in five picks, you could pull something like: Perrault, Girgensens, Andreychuk, McKee, and Tallinder.

That's about a third of an NHL team. On a Cup-winning team, that's a franchise player, two top six guys (maybe Z is 3rd line, maybe), a top-pair shutdown D, and a #3 D.

Definitely. If you get it right. I'm sure if we listed every Sabres pick (or any teams) at those spots throughout history you would realize just how unlikely it is that they all turn into NHL players... Let alone key pieces.

(I may be confused with another thread. Thought this was a rebuttal to the idea of trading our picks to get from one to two. Carry on if so).

Edited by Tank

Since the Blues have always been one of my "after the Sabres are eliminated" teams then I'll continue that this year. I want to see them win it all this year. If they don't? Nice consolation prize. If they do? Nice. Pick 30 is fine with me considering our other assets. Ever since Paul Kariya joined them I enjoyed watching them. Plus they don't really have any players I dislike to go along with an overall nice look with their logo/jerseys.

On the other hand I hope the Isles are swept in the first round.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think getting knocked out in the first round gets them moved all the way up to 15 and or 16. I believe the final spot is the Cup winner and either spots 27,28 and 29 or 26, 27, 28 and 29 are the division winners that didn't win the Cup but all the rest are left in order of points.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think getting knocked out in the first round gets them moved all the way up to 15 and or 16. I believe the final spot is the Cup winner and either spots 27,28 and 29 or 26, 27, 28 and 29 are the division winners that didn't win the Cup but all the rest are left in order of points.

27-30 is decided by where they finish in the playoffs (conference finals and stanley cup finals) so if the Islanders finished 1st in the NHL the lowest pick would be is 26th. 

That said Shattenkirk is out for a little bit (probably 2-4 weeks)

Edited by LGR4GM

That is correct. Which is why I'm hoping the Isles slip a bit.

Boeser is my guy for the 20's

We know...

Oh and here is why I love Boeser. 1st, natural RHS and RW which is never a bad thing to have. 2nd, he is a shooter which is something we need. 3rd he is physical and is listed at 6'1" 192lbs which is damn close to pro weight. I have just really started to love this kid. Again we shall see how things go.

EliteProspects

Future Considerations