Where should Terry go from here (besides Boca)?

PASabreFan

New thread, because I think now we're pivoting away from the plane crash and toward how to prevent another one.

From all accounts, Terry has to be smart, because he made billions in the oil and gas business. Let's say he is smart. What's the smart move now for the guy?

How can he not look at the situation and say, wow, I ###### this up? Something has to change.

Let me ask it this way:

Would the Sabres be better or worse off if the following occurred:

1. Terry announces that he is returning to his Florida home full time to concentrate on other business interests and his family. He's had his taste of flying to meet free agents, sitting in the war rooms and huddling with Gibby, and he's full of it.

2. Ken Sawyer gets a golden parachute, Joe Battista concentrates on the HarborCenter/business side of hockey under Black, and Cliff Benson becomes the guy who wears the Lady Liberty costume and waves on the sidewalk outside of tax prep businesses.

3. Craig Patrick becomes a de facto president of hockey operations or "overseer" of the hockey department. He has power, but he's more of a senior advisor, let's say, to Murray, rather than his boss. He is the wisened sage who watches.

4. Patrick and Murray have full authority to run the hockey side, without interference from Black, Battista or Pegula. Patrick is the guy who keeps Pegula apprised of what's going on, tells him when big moves are afoot, expresses the financial needs of the hockey department and so on.

5. Terry writes the checks — and, hey, it's his team, so he's entitled to do all the figurehead things owners do. I'm not trying to incarcerate the guy in Florida (yuck). Sip wine in his box, sniff Foligno's jock, take a big gulp from the Cup, fine.

Are we better or worse than the arrangement we have now?

New thread, because I think now we're pivoting away from the plane crash and toward how to prevent another one.

From all accounts, Terry has to be smart, because he made billions in the oil and gas business. Let's say he is smart. What's the smart move now for the guy?

How can he not look at the situation and say, wow, I ###### this up? Something has to change.

Let me ask it this way:

Would the Sabres be better or worse off if the following occurred:

1. Terry announces that he is returning to his Florida home full time to concentrate on other business interests and his family. He's had his taste of flying to meet free agents, sitting in the war rooms and huddling with Gibby, and he's full of it.

2. Ken Sawyer gets a golden parachute, Joe Battista concentrates on the HarborCenter/business side of hockey under Black, and Cliff Benson becomes the guy who wears the Lady Liberty costume and waves on the sidewalk outside of tax prep businesses.

3. Craig Patrick becomes a de facto president of hockey operations or "overseer" of the hockey department. He has power, but he's more of a senior advisor, let's say, to Murray, rather than his boss. He is the wisened sage who watches.

4. Patrick and Murray have full authority to run the hockey side, without interference from Black, Battista or Pegula. Patrick is the guy who keeps Pegula apprised of what's going on, tells him when big moves are afoot, expresses the financial needs of the hockey department and so on.

5. Terry writes the checks — and, hey, it's his team, so he's entitled to do all the figurehead things owners do. I'm not trying to incarcerate the guy in Florida (yuck). Sip wine in his box, sniff Foligno's jock, take a big gulp from the Cup, fine.

Are we better or worse than the arrangement we have now?

On the surface, that makes a lot of sense except the Pink elephant in the room, how to best handle TN. I like the 3 year contract idea and I don't blame TN for wanting a little time to think things over despite Stinkberry's comments. That makes sense, however, logically, as much as I hate to say, the Sabres better come up with a plan B fast... thinking Teppo has the right temperament for a plan B if necessary.

From all accounts, Terry has to be smart, because he made billions in the oil and gas business. Let's say he is smart.

I can't get myself to this place. Just because someone makes a bunch of jack doesn't get them Mensa status. If someone wants to lay it all out for me, I'm all ears but until then I'm leaning toward Terry being a right place at the right time kinda rich guy.

His actions have spoke volumes louder than his words and his brief track record with the Sabres is near god awful.

I get the feeling that he's not at all interested in that kind of role. If he wanted a job like that, he probably would have had it already. He's about to turn 68 and it looks like he wants a position that isn't too busy. He was an advisor in Columbus and is now and advisor here. It seems like that is the role he wants.

Good to see that you've updated your prescription for all that ails the franchise.

This was my Rx from day one. I never wanted non-hockey guys who wield power — Terry and Kim (hey now), Ted One, Cliff, Ken. Amateurs and cronies.

As they say in the home decorating business money doesn't buy you taste. Most people with money pay a designer then stand back. Terry needs to stay out of the wheelhouse. He obviously hasn't got past the fanboy stage and he's surrounded himself with more homeboys than Justin Bieber. Its got to stop. Most of these guys have no experience on the NHL side. Why are they in these meetings ? It makes little to no sense.

This was my Rx from day one. I never wanted non-hockey guys who wield power — Terry and Kim (hey now), Ted One, Cliff, Ken. Amateurs and cronies.

I know, I know. Let's wait to see if non-hockey guys (leave Kim out of it!) are in fact wielding power. We'll know soon enough based on how TM conducts himself, what he says, how he sounds, the choices he makes.

I can't get myself to this place. Just because someone makes a bunch of jack doesn't get them Mensa status. If someone wants to lay it all out for me, I'm all ears but until then I'm leaning toward Terry being a right place at the right time kinda rich guy.

His actions have spoke volumes louder than his words and his brief track record with the Sabres is near god awful.

Amen!

All this Pegula hate sounds a lot like the cheap way out to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.