Confirmed: Sabres Acquire Winger Linus Omark from Edmonton

26CornerBlitz

@BuffaloSabres

The #Sabres have acquired winger Linus Omark from the @EdmontonOilers in exchange for a conditional 6th round pick in the 2014 #NHLDraft.

@TBNbucky

Just getting word that #Sabres acquired Edmonton winger Linus Omark in a swap for a draft pick. Omark 29 GP in AHL, one in NHL, this yr

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Like the move. A lot of potential there. But I'm hoping that the pick isn't higher than a 4th.

@BuffaloSabres: The #Sabres have acquired winger Linus Omark from the @EdmontonOilers in exchange for a conditional 6th round pick in the 2014 #NHLDraft.

That's a good move.

Edited by DStebb

SABRES ACQUIRE OMARK FROM OILERS

20131219%20Linus%20Omark%20Top%20Story%20DL.jpg

The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has acquired forward Linus Omark from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for a conditional sixth-round draft pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

Omark (2/5/87, 5'10", 187 lbs) joins the Sabres after spending the last three seasons in the Oilers organization, where he has played in 66 NHL games, tallying 30 points (8+22). In 2013-14, he has played in 29 games for Edmonton’s American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons, and leads the team in scoring with 29 points (14+15). In addition to leading the Barons in scoring, he is currently tied for fourth-most points in the AHL.

Drafted by the Oilers in the fourth round (97th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Omark signed a one-year contract with the club in August 2013.

Why bother trading for a guy who hasn't made it past the AHL at age 26?

He's played 66 NHL games... It's a conditional 6th rounder. He has a lot of potential. We don't have a lot of talented forwards. A lot of sense.

One thing to think about, though: If he has a good finish to the year and ups his value as he heads to UFA he might not stick around if a good team guarantees him a roster spot. A guy that demands a trade might be the type of guy that just goes to the top money on the best team.

He's played 66 NHL games... It's a conditional 6th rounder. He has a lot of potential. We don't have a lot of talented forwards. A lot of sense.

To you, not to everyone. I don't care what they do at this point. If they want to aquire every teams Luke Adam, like D'Agostini and Omark, wonderful.

Why bother trading for a guy who hasn't made it past the AHL at age 26?

Good question! So let's start with this, Flynn has played 32 games, and has 4pts!! Flynn is also 25 and is playing on our nhl team, when he should be in the AHL. So we move a 6 rd pick, to, if nothing else strengthen our Rochester Americans(they're having a decent year). However I truly believe this guy will be playing on our bottom 6. He has more offensive talent then 60% of our sabres! So if he's available for cheap pick him up!!

Anyone have info on the conditions of that sixth round pick?

These details don't usually surface for a day or so

To you, not to everyone. I don't care what they do at this point. If they want to aquire every teams Luke Adam, like D'Agostini and Omark, wonderful.

I know you and every other sabres fan is tired of hearing it! But if this guy reaches his potential(I'm hoping we give him a shot and he does) we got a steal of a deal!! Reminds me a lot of the McBain trade, tons of potential just unsure if he will ever achieve it

@JonathanWillis

My instant reaction to Linus Omark getting dealt to the #Sabres:

Edmonton Oilers trade Linus Omark to the Buffalo Sabres

The deal is only a surprise in that it would have been unsurprising if it had been consummated years ago.

Omark has been the subject of trade rumours since at least the 2011-12 season. A small, skilled forward who has proven time and again that he can be a difference maker in Sweden and Russia and the AHL showed reasonably well in a brief stint with the Oilers in 2010-11 but found himself pushed down the organizational depth chart by the presence of many, many similar players. After spending last season in Switzerland he returned to the Oilers organization this summer and has been up to his usual tricks in the AHL, driving the offence for Oklahoma City.

Unfortunately for the Barons, Omark didn’t come back to North America to dominate the high minors. Reports from CBC’s Elliotte Friedman and out of Europe earlier this week indicated that Omark was unhappy with his situation and had asked Edmonton general manager Craig MacTavish for a trade. At the time, we suggested that a late draft pick or prospect is all that the Oilers could expect in return, so it isn’t a surprise to see a sixth-round pick coming the other way in this deal. Of course, that’s far less impressive than Friedman’s self-described “speculation” on Tuesday:

Edmonton is trying to trade AHLer Linus Omark, who deserves a shot at the NHL level and isn’t going to get it with the Oilers. This is pure speculation on my part, but Buffalo makes sense. The Sabres are on a pace to score 137 goals. The last time a team scored fewer? Chicago in 1953-54, with 133 in 70 games. Twelve teams bettered that in lockout-shortened 1995. Last year? Eight. Omark’s not a cure, but it’s a sensible gamble, no?

#Oilers #OKCBarons

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

According to interviews, Omark planned on leaving North America by christmas if he didn't get a real shot at the NHL, that's why Edmonton traded him.

"Är du sugen att lämna Nordamerika nu?

Omark– Jag vill ge det en chans fram till jul i alla fall."

Edited by Dannepanne

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.