Observations

nhl2012

A couple player observations

Stafford:

Skill set: Good speed and agility. Puck handling, passing and shot decent.

Plays the pro game the exact same way he played in college. North / south player who looks for pucks to come to him and doesn’t engage with force every shift. Instead, engages with interest when it suits only him. Far too much floating around the neutral zone looking for pucks to find him. Along the wall he is average and gets by b/c of his size and leverage here and there sometimes against weaker competition. When he goes to the net, once in every 10 games, he is effective (but what player isn’t when they do that?).

Bottom line, he is overpaid. It is clear that he is a passenger and that his skill set and lack of physical interest do not help the Sabres. He is a poor mans Nathan Horton (post Horton’s 2nd concussion). He will still pot 20 goals. He looks confused on the ice.

Leino:

Great stick handleing. Great vision. However, bfore, during or after whatever his latest injury is, he is not a player the Sabres need. He floats around looking for pucks. When he engages along the wall, he simply stabs at pucks with his stick (one hand on it often) or kicks at in an effort to create some sort of half-conceived cycling and ragging. He can’t not maintain a forecheck. He can NOT create offense on the rush – way to slow with no moves or power. He should be waived today. Really not an NHL player anymore unless the redwings can get him free in open space to show off the soft hands he actually has. Would excel in Euro league.

Rasmus:

Just a kid. Sturdy fella who uses his stick well. Needs to bulk up and gain some confidence. Too early to tell but hopefully he will turn out like Victor Hedman from Tampa and not Aki Berg (15 years ago for LA). Berg came out of Finland with a reputation as a hitter with a heavy shot – who played with “pros” for years. Rasmus need a good mentor.

#25:

I don’t think anyone on the board feels comfortable about him right now. He is much better than last season but his odd skating style is frustrating. He reminds me a lot of Adam Creighton, who minus his unreal wrist-shot, if he had time to unload it, was useless. He is young, but his speed and creativity on the rush or around the net or even in his own zone is non-apparent. When breaking out of the zone, he is always the last guy on the rush – and he is the center. NO physical game whatsoever. At least YAshin, who this kid somewhat resembles, stuck his nose into high traffic areas. It will take a season to create some moxie in him.

Girgensons:

What is not to like about this kid? Great team player. Understanding how to mold his game and shifts to the game itself. If it is physical, he senses it. If it is fast, he skates fast. Etc, etc. He is a born leader. Reminds me of Bobby Holik in every sense of the word. Future “C” of the team. Some on this board said is right when they said that the Sabres Assistant GM made a great pick here. Agree.

Myers:

I would start him at forward. He should be up front and engaged in the play. He is not a patient player – he has ant in his pants and this causes him to make bone head plays around Miller. He is a forward IMO – and should be played there b/c he like momentum, the rush and shooting on the goalie. Like a wild condor – he should be allowed to roam, ala 6’6 Eric Daze for Chicago many years ago.

Stafford: Correct when he plays to his potential.

Leino: No clue, he's played 9 games in the last 1.5 years.

Risto: I agree he needs to fill out but confidence will come with age and experience.

Grigo: He's been playing better of late so my thoughts on him are irrelevant atm.

Girgs: Great potential to be a solid 2nd liner/ playoff star.

Myers: as a forward..... really? A couple years ago I could see Sekera being moved up to a forward position seeing how often he'd jump into the play and do dekes and what not. Putting Myers at F only hurts our team.

Archived