Sabres-Toronto Discipline

Saudi Arabia Rob

The NHL continues to publically handwring about player safety, yet when it comes time to make a statement, it undercuts everything it says. To give Kessel a three game "preseason" suspension (you can bet he was really upset with that) for intentionally trying to injure a play is ludicrious. Even if you buy his girly whacking, then running away, when he came back and speared Scott, who was engaged with two other people, there is no doubt he meant to injure Scott. Imagine if the tables were turned and a third line Sabre did that to a Toronto star player, there would be heck to pay. I thought the NHL was going to get serious this year because of the focus on the trauma of concussions, but it appears to be the same old thing.

What I don't understand is why Rolston was fined. What did he do? He gets fined for keeping Scott out there to complete his shift?

Really???

This was done only to placate Toronto fans, which is pathetic.

I go back-and-forth on that one. In a court of law, it would be thrown out because it doesn't meet the letter of the law. However, to say that he just left Scott out "to finish his shift" is a little naïve. He left Scott out there to extract revenge for Tropp having his head forced into the ice with a forearm, despite Tropp having been a willing combatant. With the instigator rule, the league made it clear that they didn't want teams sending out goons to extract revenge. So, yeah, it's a little bit questionable how they could actually enforce that fine, but it's not like Rolston was completely innocent.

I go back-and-forth on that one. In a court of law, it would be thrown out because it doesn't meet the letter of the law. However, to say that he just left Scott out "to finish his shift" is a little naïve. He left Scott out there to extract revenge for Tropp having his head forced into the ice with a forearm, despite Tropp having been a willing combatant. With the instigator rule, the league made it clear that they didn't want teams sending out goons to extract revenge. So, yeah, it's a little bit questionable how they could actually enforce that fine, but it's not like Rolston was completely innocent.

Oh I agree Rolston is not without blame. Yet, I still think the Sabres should appeal because it appears to be a case that doesn't fit the way the rule was written. It meets the spirit of the rule but not the letter of it. It is worth an appeal if nothing else but to keep pissing off Shanahan and the Leafs.

If you're swinging a hockey stick at someone on purpose, you have every hope they get injured. Kassian gets 8 game suspension for being "irresponsible" w/ his stick. I'm not trying to defend Kassian, but at least he didn't make 3 intentional swings at a player.

Another point since you bring up Tropp. The NHL was trying to keep helmets on to avoid exactly what happened to Tropp. However, when you watch the video, Devane rips Tropps helmet off. I guess he was more worried about his knuckles than Tropp's head.

If Pat Kaleta had done what Kessel did you can bet he'd be missing regular season games.

It is the nature of "repeat offender". Had Kessel recieved a call from the league re: his Flyers stick swinging incident then he'd be a repeat offender now.

Not unlike Lucic after his hit on Miller. It wasn't his first reviewed hit but since the previous hits were unpunished he wasn't a repeat offender yet. So, for the umpteenth time he went unsuspended because he isn't a "problem player".

It is the nature of "repeat offender". Had Kessel recieved a call from the league re: his Flyers stick swinging incident then he'd be a repeat offender now.

Not unlike Lucic after his hit on Miller. It wasn't his first reviewed hit but since the previous hits were unpunished he wasn't a repeat offender yet. So, for the umpteenth time he went unsuspended because he isn't a "problem player".

It's a refusal by the league to accept that its superstar players are just as likely to do something stupid as the rest of the NHL population. Think of it as class warfare within a sports organization.

And since he got off for nothing, he's still not a repeat offender, in the eyes of the NHL.

Same goes for Mike Richards, who has delivered both elbows, headshots, and put people head first into the boards, and got off without as much as 2 minute minor every time.

And since he got off for nothing, he's still not a repeat offender, in the eyes of the NHL.

Same goes for Mike Richards, who has delivered both elbows, headshots, and put people head first into the boards, and got off without as much as 2 minute minor every time.

Actually, he was suspended. even if it was a meaningless suspension he'll now be a repeat offender.

Archived