Is Darcy a Weasel?

Stormin Norman

If my owner told me how to try and win the Cup, I'd resign. A lot of type-A alpha males in the world of NHL management would, too.

And if their previous owner's "managing partner" had in fact taken over their jobs for the previous 5 years, pretty much any of said type-A NHL alpha males would've resigned right there and then.

Regier is a "yes" man, if ever was one, which is why we keep attracting owners who either need tax-writeoffs or new toys.

Not saying there's anything wrong with either, just too bad we so rarely see good hockey as a result.

Edited by Kristian

Regier has tried to do everything within his power to create a team that can win, including firing the coach (which is a regular business occurence in professional sports, not a throw under the bus move- and not ONCE has Regier blamed Lindy's faults for the Sabres' woes), has admitted to failing, and will continue to try to do everything within his power to create a team that can win. Thinking that he'll resign for some reason or believing "that's what a real man does" is stupid as ######.

Are you kidding me? This team was entirely BUILT by Regier.... There's no NHL team where the continuous fingerprints of the GM are more visible than this one. I see the responsibility as 75-25 Regier to Ruff, possibly more since Regier hired and retained Ruff for so many years.

I am not saying he should resign.... but he should make it clear to the owner that the recent failures are mostly his. I would think at that point, Pegula would release him.

Edited by Jsixspd

This gives me an idea.......who wants to go in with me on converting a few whack-a-mole machines into whack-a-weasel......and vulcanized rubber Darcys keep popping up?

Just when you hit enough of them to think you won a bunch of tickets.....the score resets to zero and the next game sucks an extra 4% off of your Dave&Busters card.......

This gives me an idea.......who wants to go in with me on converting a few whack-a-mole machines into whack-a-weasel......and vulcanized rubber Darcys keep popping up?

Just when you hit enough of them to think you won a bunch of tickets.....the score resets to zero and the next game sucks an extra 4% off of your Dave&Busters card.......

:)

I second this. :thumbsup:

I am not saying he should resign.... but he should make it clear to the owner that the recent failures are mostly his. I would think at that point, Pegula would release him.

Since we're stuck with Regier, the best case scenario might be this: Terry told Darcy the recent failures are the owner's fault and now you do what you want to do, and Darcy said, "We should have torn this down in 2011, not added to it." Terry clamming up might be a good sign.

The clear perspective, now that the dust has settled and we can view with clarity and 'distance', is that Regier threw his old 'pal' Lindy under the bus in order to keep his own ass out of the sling. A real man would take some responsibility and ownership for the clear failures of the team and move on to fresh pastures - but apparently not Regier.

Regier has tried to do everything within his power to create a team that can win, including firing the coach (which is a regular business occurence in professional sports, not a throw under the bus move- and not ONCE has Regier blamed Lindy's faults for the Sabres' woes), has admitted to failing, and will continue to try to do everything within his power to create a team that can win. Thinking that he'll resign for some reason or believing "that's what a real man does" is stupid as ######.

Are you kidding me? This team was entirely BUILT by Regier.... There's no NHL team where the continuous fingerprints of the GM are more visible than this one. I see the responsibility as 75-25 Regier to Ruff, possibly more since Regier hired and retained Ruff for so many years.

I have no idea which part you think I'm kidding about, because no where did I say that Regier didn't build the team and no where did I absolve Regier of responsibility. My only points were that he is taking responsibility about where the team is and that it's retarded to think that "A real man would ... move on to fresh pastures."

Thank you for back-peddling, but it's still a large logical disconnect to assume that because Pegula hasn't fired him, Regier hasn't explained where the failures have occurred. Especially when quotes like this from Pegula have

:

"The day you're afraid to make a mistake is the day you stop taking chances."

I'll answer with yet another "Are you kidding me??"

First, who is backpedaling? I'm expanding on my reasons.

Second, there is no friggin way that Regier explains to Pegula that most of the failings of the team are HIS responsibility instead of Ruff's, and then Pegula asks Regier to fire Ruff. We don't even know but what the idea to fire Ruff CAME from Regier - you got an owner who is completely naive about hockey, and a manipulative weasely scumbag of a GM providing the advice and consultation. Add it up!

Regier is a weasely little..... weasel!

Doesn't it come down to this: In any sport, there is a "window" of time during which a GM has an opportunity to build or maintain a competitive team and challenge for a championship. Certainly, some owners facilitate the push for a championship more than others, but generally speaking, the GM only has so much time to get it done regardless of the circumstances.

What is the typical window of time? Hockey has much longer tenure at the GM position than coaches do. Believe it or not, Darcy is THIRD behind Lou Lamoriello (Devils) and Jim Rutherford (Hurricanes). Both are CUP winners.

Only eight teams have a GM with more than 7 years with their team. Of those eight, four have never won a Cup, including Darcy. (Glen Sather has not yet won with the Rangers, but did so previously with the Oilers).

So there are essentially THREE other GMs who have the distinction of abnormally long tenures without winning a Cup. And Buffalo has the head of that class. This deserves an opportunity to start all over again?

Edited by Stormin Norman

All around the Fracker's bench

Theodore chased the weasel

Teddy thought twas all in fun

POP goes the weasel

Twelve million for the Tinman and Roy

Twelve million for a marfan in fetal

Where did all our money go

POP goes the weasel

Danny's got the whooping cough

And Chris has got the measles

That's the way the story goes

POP goes the weasel

Stand up man?........I'm not saying the guy would give the nuke codes to the Russians....because he doesn't have those kind of nads........the guy is all about surviving though my friend......

This thread needs to be revived at least once a week.......

I would have offed myself before going to the lengths to protect myself this fella has......

Why did this happen now? The Sabres have been struggling for weeks, even years, having missed the postseason three times in five seasons, including last year.

“It was made for the goal of making the playoffs,” said Regier, who noted the team’s high expectations.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-stunning-regression-ultimately-doomed-ruff/

Nice, Darcy - Firing Ruff mid-season really helped achieve that goal of getting into the playoffs this year, didn't it? The main problem with the team is all the softies and poor contracts (Leino) that he's put on the roster. What a maroon.

Edited by Jsixspd

Nice, Darcy - Firing Ruff mid-season really helped achieve that goal of getting into the playoffs this year, didn't it? The main problem with the team is all the softies and poor contracts (Leino) that he's put on the roster. What a maroon.

Well it did get them closer than they would have been under Ruff (of course at the same time probably costing them a shot at the number-one pick). Your point is fair, but I was thinking more along the lines of continued historical revisionism.

On this beautiful sunny morning, I'm sitting here drinking a delicious cup of coffee, basking in the afterglow of a pretty entertaining first round of the playoffs (sans Rags/Caps), and then I realize, "Wow, I can't believe how angry I am."

We have only been able to enjoy our team in the playoffs twice in the last six years. We have been subjected to some pretty brutal hockey in the past six years. Darcy then has the stones at the end of the year presser to tell us that we should expect some suffering because it's probably going to get worse?!

I just can't believe that he is still the GM of the Sabres. It took an all out fan revolt to get the coach removed, even though we all would have preferred Darcy to be gone.

He's probably not a weasel, but he's got to have some sort of Rasputin-like mind control over people to have survived this long. It's certainly isn't because of his results on the ice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.