NCAA Frozen Four playoffs thread

SwampD

There were threads called this in previous years so I figured I would just start this year's. I love that NBC Sports is playing College games on Friday nights. Right now it's UMass v BC.

My question to anyone who knows is what do these Hockey East tournament games mean to the frozen four? Also, is there any team or player worth looking out for?

Hockey east is doing what all the other conferences are doing right now, having their own playoffs. Once the conferences are done the regionals will get played, then the frozen four.

I'm in Lowell right now visiting friends so I caught the BC v Umass game today. Pretty good hockey. Glad I wasn't home watching RIT get beaten.

Players to watch for, not real sure.

There were threads called this in previous years so I figured I would just start this year's. I love that NBC Sports is playing College games on Friday nights. Right now it's UMass v BC.

My question to anyone who knows is what do these Hockey East tournament games mean to the frozen four? Also, is there any team or player worth looking out for?

It's just like baseketball, conference winners get an auto-bid into the field of 16. The rest is filled out by an already known formula, so unlike basketball, there aren't any surprise teams left out of the field.

And it's way too late now, but if you were going to watch for someone in that game, it was Kreider.

RIT playing Niagara this Friday in the Semis for AHA. Which means we're guaranteed to lose. Niagara is that one team we just can't beat.

Thankfully the Women are playing in the semis of the D3 championship that evening at the same time, so I'll likely be attending that game instead.

Caught a bit of a hockey game over the weekend where a review was going on. Referee goes into timekeepers bench and does the review. WTF? Either pay someone off-ice to do the review, or scrap the review system all together. College football finally got it right(unlike the NFL), where there is someone upstairs doing the review, and he just lets the on-field official know whether the call stands or is overturned.

Caught a bit of a hockey game over the weekend where a review was going on. Referee goes into timekeepers bench and does the review. WTF? Either pay someone off-ice to do the review, or scrap the review system all together. College football finally got it right(unlike the NFL), where there is someone upstairs doing the review, and he just lets the on-field official know whether the call stands or is overturned.

I love how they do it that way actually. The same guy who makes the calls on ice makes the calls for reviews. So all decisions within a game are made by the same set of eyes. This can't work like the NHL. We're talking about much smaller buildings and leagues who don't have the resources to send a trained person to every single building. And they'll never have the same camera setups in each building since some are very modern and others... aren't. So now your trained person who makes the call is the same one who made every other call during the game.

I love how they do it that way actually. The same guy who makes the calls on ice makes the calls for reviews. So all decisions within a game are made by the same set of eyes. This can't work like the NHL. We're talking about much smaller buildings and leagues who don't have the resources to send a trained person to every single building. And they'll never have the same camera setups in each building since some are very modern and others... aren't. So now your trained person who makes the call is the same one who made every other call during the game.

IMO...I look at it as disrupting the flow of the game. If you can't have someone off-ice take care of it, then just get rid of it, or use it only for the frozen four.

IMO...I look at it as disrupting the flow of the game. If you can't have someone off-ice take care of it, then just get rid of it, or use it only for the frozen four.

But the upstairs guy still takes the time to make the review, right? Either way there's a delay. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure if the ref doing the actual review is just a Hockey East thing or if that's how they do it everywhere. When the NCAAs roll around, I do believe they have a guy upstairs since they're only dealing with games in 4 different arenas at that point.

RIT playing Niagara this Friday in the Semis for AHA. Which means we're guaranteed to lose. Niagara is that one team we just can't beat.

This is a little harsh. Niagara is not a guaranteed loss. RIT has played them very tough this year and although out of the three games against NU this season RIT have once lost once at Niagara, while they have tied them twice at home. Friday's game is at the BCA so RIT should have a slight home crowd advantage. Should be one hell of a game.

Well it looks like the NCAA got their heads out of the sand and moved the womens game so fans could attend both. Great news.

RIT has a bad history of blowing it at Blue Cross, and Niagara is the ultimate bad luck opponent.

Add to that the fact that RIT simply isn't as good this year. I love my teams but they're lacking in pure skill. We don't have a game changer on the team. Madolora is a monster goalie but that's it.

That said, they better win Friday.

Friday would definitely be the perfect time for the Tigers to beat the Purple Beagles and even up the season series.

You going to the game?

I believe so. I'll be at the women's game first but it depends on what the girlfriend wants to do when she gets out of work since she works weird hours.

I believe so. I'll be at the women's game first but it depends on what the girlfriend wants to do when she gets out of work since she works weird hours.

I know the feeling as the girlfriend sucked me into going out Friday night. At least the Sabres aren't playing.

Who won.

This Maine/BU game on NBCS is pretty good too.

RIT men beat NU for the first time in D1, in overtime. And the RIT women beat Plattsburgh in overtime to go on to the NCAA championship game tomorrow night against Norwich.

I have zero voice haha

And Atlantic Hockey gets screwed again. There's room for more than one from that conference in the tournament. I hate the direction that the Frozen Four is taking. I really do.

It'll just never happen. We're the baby of the D1 conferences and we pay for it.

I want to congratulate the RIT women on their first D3 National Championship. Being friends with the coaches and a number of the players over the years, it was wonderful to see everything come together. And with the move to D1 next year, I hope to one day see them on the big stage again.

And Atlantic Hockey gets screwed again. There's room for more than one from that conference in the tournament. I hate the direction that the Frozen Four is taking. I really do.

No there isn't. Those conferences don't come remotely close to the big four. That's just the way it is.

No there isn't. Those conferences don't come remotely close to the big four. That's just the way it is.

Sadly it's true. If you look at the AHA's record, only two schools came close to playing .500 hockey against out of conference opponents! The conference as a whole needs to run with the big dogs a little better before they allow more than 1 team from the AHA into the tournament.

Sadly it's true. If you look at the AHA's record, only two schools came close to playing .500 hockey against out of conference opponents! The conference as a whole needs to run with the big dogs a little better before they allow more than 1 team from the AHA into the tournament.

But unfortunately, I'm not so sure that can ever happen. The arrival of the Big Ten will most likely just lead to a case where the rich keep getting richer. The only real hope for a school like RIT going forward is if they can somehow land a spot in the ECAC. It all depends on how big those conferences want to get and if there would be a reasonable travel partner for them.

But unfortunately, I'm not so sure that can ever happen. The arrival of the Big Ten will most likely just lead to a case where the rich keep getting richer. The only real hope for a school like RIT going forward is if they can somehow land a spot in the ECAC. It all depends on how big those conferences want to get and if there would be a reasonable travel partner for them.

Very true on all accounts

Archived