ot- breaking in graf skates..yow!

blugold43

Half your life? :lol:

1/3 but yeah, close enough LOL :beer:

The Hockey Shop

oh...yeah...easy enough I guess :blush:

I love it when a place goes as direct as possible with a name like that. It always had me wanting to open a shop that sells guns and car batteries named "Assault and Battery".

:w00t: :w00t:

The confusing part is they also sell lacrosse equipment. Don't ask them to string a head though - they are hockey players who sell lacrosse stuff in the spring and summer.

I get the feeling that a lot of them do that. We have a few like that out here too. "Hockey" is in the name of the shop but "lacrosse" is nowhere to be found.

Were they on the low end of the CCM range or no?

Mid-range actually. I went a bit crazy on these ones expecting to have them for a long time. I guess as long as the boot itself doesn't give way, the eyelet problem really shouldn't cause too much trouble.

I get the feeling that a lot of them do that. We have a few like that out here too. "Hockey" is in the name of the shop but "lacrosse" is nowhere to be found.

Mid-range actually. I went a bit crazy on these ones expecting to have them for a long time. I guess as long as the boot itself doesn't give way, the eyelet problem really shouldn't cause too much trouble.

I suppose. Just seems weird. Now that you mention it, I think my buddy had an eyelet come out early on with his new pair as well. Wonder if it's a CCM thing.

I suppose. Just seems weird. Now that you mention it, I think my buddy had an eyelet come out early on with his new pair as well. Wonder if it's a CCM thing.

They're not just falling out on mine. They're completely falling apart. They're made out of sand, that's the only possible explanation.

Baking skates is very important. I've had more foot problems than anyone I know. Since I'm a referee, I'm on them all the time, and even small pain can grow into major issues.

This past August I developed what I thought was a callous on my right ankle. Turned out to be a ganglion cyst, which I think was caused by my skate rubbing on the medial malleolous (Look it up, Thurman!).

Here is the result of the SECOND SURGERY

post-24-0-29035700-1324403973_thumb.jpg

This was in September, and it still hasn't healed since I never stay off it.

Only recently has it gotten better.

In my experience, a donut around the ankle only makes the soft tissue around the ankle swell badly. If it presses against the nerve bundle on the inside of your ankle, you will have pain shooting up your leg while you're trying to play.

You could try one of these, but it didn't help me very much; I just found that it caused more pressure on a very sensitive area.

http://silipos.com/003_prod/product.aspx?cat_name=Orthopedics&subcat_name=Sleeves%20&%20Wraps&product_name=Malleolar%20Gel%20Sleeve&product_id=150x&cat_id=7&subcat_id=4

Fix your skate. You could try taking it to a cobbler shop if you can find one. Have them heat the skate, then punch it out around the ankle where it hurts.

Don't be a hero and try to skate through it. That's what I did.

It's also been infected 3 times.

I've had every brand of skates. It's up to YOU which ones feel the best.

And here's my most recent infection, from December 7th. Looks fun right? Don't be a hero. Even my dog looks like he's in pain!

post-24-0-47110500-1324404461_thumb.jpg

Baking skates is very important. I've had more foot problems than anyone I know. Since I'm a referee, I'm on them all the time, and even small pain can grow into major issues.

This past August I developed what I thought was a callous on my right ankle. Turned out to be a ganglion cyst, which I think was caused by my skate rubbing on the medial malleolous (Look it up, Thurman!).

In my experience, a donut around the ankle only makes the soft tissue around the ankle swell badly. If it presses against the nerve bundle on the inside of your ankle, you will have pain shooting up your leg while you're trying to play.

You could try one of these, but it didn't help me very much; I just found that it caused more pressure on a very sensitive area.

http://silipos.com/0...d=7&subcat_id=4

Fix your skate. You could try taking it to a cobbler shop if you can find one. Have them heat the skate, then punch it out around the ankle where it hurts.

And here's my most recent infection, from December 7th. Looks fun right? Don't be a hero. Even my dog looks like he's in pain!

I've never seen anything like this. Wow.

:o

Most shops should be able to replace the eyelets...not that they should be turning to dust. I have Vector Pros from about 4-5 years ago and the upper eyelets had to be replaced. Mine just bent and were cutting into the lace.

And to all the would be skate buyers. Line sizing within manufacturers differs also. For example CCM Tacks will fit a wider foot better, whereas CCM Vectors will fit a narrow foot better, so be aware of that.

Also, it's worth the extra coin to have a knowledgeable hockey shop fit you properly. Don't be an ass and have them fit you up, then walk out and buy them online. Although I believe most shops have taken steps to prevent this. And I stress, get a recommendation on the guy fitting you.

Most shops should be able to replace the eyelets...not that they should be turning to dust. I have Vector Pros from about 4-5 years ago and the upper eyelets had to be replaced. Mine just bent and were cutting into the lace.

And to all the would be skate buyers. Line sizing within manufacturers differs also. For example CCM Tacks will fit a wider foot better, whereas CCM Vectors will fit a narrow foot better, so be aware of that.

Also, it's worth the extra coin to have a knowledgeable hockey shop fit you properly. Don't be an ass and have them fit you up, then walk out and buy them online. Although I believe most shops have taken steps to prevent this. And I stress, get a recommendation on the guy fitting you.

Thanks for the advice! :beer:

This is what I am planning to do. The old Bauer 30 Impacts my parents dug out of the closet are not a great fit.

Anyone have a recommendation on good hockey shops in WNY? I don't have a ton of coin to spend but I want to get something that fits well and isn't going to fall apart on me.

This is what I am planning to do. The old Bauer 30 Impacts my parents dug out of the closet are not a great fit.

Anyone have a recommendation on good hockey shops in WNY? I don't have a ton of coin to spend but I want to get something that fits well and isn't going to fall apart on me.

avoid Great Skate. I think the shop at the Pepsi center is supposed to be good.

Really? Interesting. I've never had an issue buying equipment there but I've never bought skates from them.

I have never heard anything good from them. They have a bunch of kids working there and they just want you out the door. My sister bought skates there and they refused to bake them because they said they don't bake that model... contrary to the friggin' instructions right on the skates. I've heard many stories like that on modsquadhockey.

I have never heard anything good from them. They have a bunch of kids working there and they just want you out the door. My sister bought skates there and they refused to bake them because they said they don't bake that model... contrary to the friggin' instructions right on the skates. I've heard many stories like that on modsquadhockey.

Good to know, thanks. I'm going to try to make it up to the Pepsi Center later this week (when I am in town) and check them out. If not I will have to talk to the other parents and coaches in my son's hockey association and see where they recommend locally. I have a couple places I can check out but I want to make sure I am not wasting my time or money.

That's about right. Unless you go in there knowing exactly what you want, it'll be a waste of time. The pro shop at the Pepsi center is solid though. Kids working it maybe, but better kids than GS.

avoid Great Skate. I think the shop at the Pepsi center is supposed to be good.

The shop at the Northtown Center has a great selection of skates. Go when it's not busy so they have time to take are of you.

Good to know, thanks. I'm going to try to make it up to the Pepsi Center later this week (when I am in town) and check them out. If not I will have to talk to the other parents and coaches in my son's hockey association and see where they recommend locally. I have a couple places I can check out but I want to make sure I am not wasting my time or money.

Hey Wolfie, have you been to Peranis in North Olmsted? Talk to Mike Bujdos, the manager. He's always been helpful to me. He played in the USHL so he knows the game. Does your kid play in Parma? What age group?

The shop at the Northtown Center has a great selection of skates. Go when it's not busy so they have time to take are of you.

Hey Wolfie, have you been to Peranis in North Olmsted? Talk to Mike Bujdos, the manager. He's always been helpful to me. He played in the USHL so he knows the game. Does your kid play in Parma? What age group?

Thanks for the tip on Northtown (that's the new sponsor name for the Pepsi Center, correct?) No, I haven't been out to Peranis. We've been out to Iceland in Strongsville, and Cleveland Hockey Supply in Brook Park. The Fritsche's (the father of Dan and Tom Fritsche) used to have a shop in Parma but we called last week to check their hours and whoever answered the phone said "we're out of business" and hung up.

Yeah, Hunter is playing for Parma. He's in his first year and in the Mini Mites program, so they practice Saturdays and Sundays. You ever ref out this way?

http://silipos.com/0...d=7&subcat_id=4

holy crap...that's the EXACT spot where i have the most pain. thanks for the input, but i'm sorry about your misery! that infection looks dangerous.

the baking video definitely helped...i can see i could have done it better.

Thanks for the tip on Northtown (that's the new sponsor name for the Pepsi Center, correct?) No, I haven't been out to Peranis. We've been out to Iceland in Strongsville, and Cleveland Hockey Supply in Brook Park. The Fritsche's (the father of Dan and Tom Fritsche) used to have a shop in Parma but we called last week to check their hours and whoever answered the phone said "we're out of business" and hung up.

Yeah, Hunter is playing for Parma. He's in his first year and in the Mini Mites program, so they practice Saturdays and Sundays. You ever ref out this way?

I get to Parma once in awhile, but it's usually a high school game. You HAVE to go to Peranis, they blow the other stores out of the water. You'll see!

I get to Parma once in awhile, but it's usually a high school game. You HAVE to go to Peranis, they blow the other stores out of the water. You'll see!

I was talking to the missus and she said that it was a Perani's location that she and my mother-in-law went to in Rochester to get our little guy sized up for all his equipment, and they loved the place. Said it was great service and they took great care of them. I'll check them out.

holy crap...that's the EXACT spot where i have the most pain. thanks for the input, but i'm sorry about your misery! that infection looks dangerous.

the baking video definitely helped...i can see i could have done it better.

Thanks! Crank the skates tight in the instep area, but NOT in the ankle area. When I took mine out of the oven this last time, I opened them way up before I put them on my feet. Then I lightly snugged the lower 3 eyelets, then cranked the middle few, and just barely snugged the tops. The company (MLXSkates) rep told me that cranking them at the ankle right out of the oven can cause lacebite. I'm living proof!

I am trying to break in a new pair of CCMs right now as well. Anyone have any tips about baking them? What else can I do? Back in the day I played so much I didnt have to really worry about this but now that I only get on the ice 3-4 times a month I need a quick fix because my feet were killing me after just an hour at open skate. PLEASE HELP!

I have a pair of Bauer Vapors and and older CCM pair. Baking wize, I put them in the oven for 10min on low. Then put them on my feet with the thinnest pair of socks I can stand, tighten them down as hard as I can and watch TV for half and hour. Haven't had a problem with either pair. The CCMs I wore a hole in the leather which is why I tried the Bauers. A little narrower too. P.S. I don't wear socks when I skate and it feels great.

FWIW - I stopped by the Pepsi/Northtown Center tonight and took a look around. Good staff, seemed to be pretty knowledgeable and actually paid attention, and we caught a pretty good deal on a rolling hockey bag for my son. They have some good deals and BOGO stuff and percentage discounts on others.

FWIW - I stopped by the Pepsi/Northtown Center tonight and took a look around. Good staff, seemed to be pretty knowledgeable and actually paid attention, and we caught a pretty good deal on a rolling hockey bag for my son. They have some good deals and BOGO stuff and percentage discounts on others.

If it wasn't a bit of a trek from the Boston/Hamburg area, I'd be very tempted to check that out while I'm in town next week.

Archived