Why can't the Sabres possess the puck, forecheck and cycle??

zow2

I watched much of last night's game very late so i was fast forwarding the DVR and stopping at the good parts. It was very noticeable that the puck would be in the Sabres end for long stretches while Philly just worked the hell out of us.. Then the Sabres would get a quick breakout, get a chance and then quickly the cycle would repeat itself where Philly was in our end for a long stretch...forechecking, getting chances. Buffalo just is not a puck possession team and only really generates continuous pressure on the PP. It's a problem. Recently at FNC we've now seen Philly, Detroit, Boston and even the Islanders possess the puck for long stretches in the Sabres end where our major chances only come on quick breakouts. Is this a product of Lindy's system? Do we lack the players? Something needs to change. In the meantime I have tempered my expectations from competing for the Eastern Conf finals to hoping we can hang onto the 7th or 8th spot. I just don't think this team is nearly as good as i thought (even when healthy)...and certainly the goaltending isn't "stealing" too many games in 2011. Many other teams in the East look better, plain and simple.

I watched much of last night's game very late so i was fast forwarding the DVR and stopping at the good parts. It was very noticeable that the puck would be in the Sabres end for long stretches while Philly just worked the hell out of us.. Then the Sabres would get a quick breakout, get a chance and then quickly the cycle would repeat itself where Philly was in our end for a long stretch...forechecking, getting chances. Buffalo just is not a puck possession team and only really generates continuous pressure on the PP. It's a problem. Recently at FNC we've now seen Philly, Detroit, Boston and even the Islanders possess the puck for long stretches in the Sabres end where our major chances only come on quick breakouts. Is this a product of Lindy's system? Do we lack the players? Something needs to change. In the meantime I have tempered my expectations from competing for the Eastern Conf finals to hoping we can hang onto the 7th or 8th spot. I just don't think this team is nearly as good as i thought (even when healthy)...and certainly the goaltending isn't "stealing" too many games in 2011. Many other teams in the East look better, plain and simple.

great, great post zow. i haven't noticed what you've seen; i've just seen a team that is struggling. i will be looking for that issue now and, moreover, for it to improve!

It's been a problem for 4 years now.

Oh I know I run the Miller conversation into the ground, but honestly, it's fun to read the responses but he is really not the issue here.

The truth is, I point out the lack of forecheck and puck control quite often.

It's been a problem for 4 seasons now, that is where fans should be focusing in on. That rests with the individuals that make the decisions on the roster make up.

If it's Regier then look to him, if it's Regier and Ruff, then look there. But the bottom line is this team can't sustain an offensive attack to save their lives.

I brought this up in the GDT, if you look at teams that make a run for the cup, all of them, no exceptions, play a hard forecheck game and have time in the offensive zone much more than on the defensive side.

EDIT: And one more thing, has everyone noticed the game plan opponents use against the Sabres is the same. They all play pressure against the Sabres when they try moving the puck up ice. It's working because they all know Buffalo will cough up the puck. That has been very telling for a number of seasons now.

One of the major problems the Sabres have keeping a forecheck is Ruff's system of changing on the fly. Every other team in the league can stagger their forwards coming on and off the ice. The Sabres system insist that they do it at once.

How many times in the last few years have you see the right wing dump the puck in or near the net and not see anyone in a sabres uniform near the puck until the opponants get to the red line? They give the other team a free out every time the change. Other teams change a winger first and use the D to put pressure on at the blue line until the change is complete.

Also as soon as the Sabres players have been on the ice for over 25 seconds it seems they are looking over their shoulders hfor the change instead of just getting it in and stalling while you could set a starggered change.

Long Story Short: Ruff's system

I just thought the Sabres stopped skating. The Flyers never stopped moving their feet. The Sabres on De allowed the Flyers forwards to come in deep, create room to work with, never really put pressure on them and then when the Flyers made a pass it was to where a player was going. It looked the Sabres stand still then try to creat an opportunity by beating their defender. Also, it's difficult to be a puck possession team when you lose more draws than you win.

One of the major problems the Sabres have keeping a forecheck is Ruff's system of changing on the fly. Every other team in the league can stagger their forwards coming on and off the ice. The Sabres system insist that they do it at once.

How many times in the last few years have you see the right wing dump the puck in or near the net and not see anyone in a sabres uniform near the puck until the opponants get to the red line? They give the other team a free out every time the change. Other teams change a winger first and use the D to put pressure on at the blue line until the change is complete.

Also as soon as the Sabres players have been on the ice for over 25 seconds it seems they are looking over their shoulders hfor the change instead of just getting it in and stalling while you could set a starggered change.

With all the problems I have with Ruff's system, this isn't one of them.

You've said this a couple times now but it's just not true - about the sabres or the rest of the league. Want to give up a bunch of goals? Wait for a good time to change.

The Sabres just seem to throw up a bunch of suicide passes for whatever reason. That seems to be the main problem that I see. Perfect example is on the winning goal. What was going on in MAG's head to think that he could make a pass from the far wall, straight accross the entire width of the ice without having it picked off. The D are the ones most responsible for these giveaways which lead to odd man breaks. We also have difficulty breaking out of our zone at times.

They're crashing Miller every game now. His helmet flying off seems to be happening every game or so. I'm not sure Miller's going to last -- he can't get it that you shouldn't come out to clear the puck and keeps putting himself in vulnerable positions.

They're crashing Miller every game now. His helmet flying off seems to be happening every game or so. I'm not sure Miller's going to last -- he can't get it that you shouldn't come out to clear the puck and keeps putting himself in vulnerable positions.

ummm...he was only hit once out of his crease. the other times have been in his crease... :huh:

The problem with our puck possession is that there is never an effort to "take one more step" as they say. We have a habit, especially on the point, of making one move and thinking it's enough. Half the time shots get blocked and we're chasing them down. That's tiring. It's energy that could be better spent simply making one extra step to earn a few inches of ice or a little more of a window. It's coaching.

Archived