Season Ticket Availability

ozone

I realize that season tickets are sold out and have been capped--so I'm checking to see are there places you can still buy them? I'm wondering if there is an exchange where existing season ticket owners are selling theirs. I know I can sign up for the Blue&Gold Club but it seems pretty arbitrary in that you don't know if tickets become available or if the seats that do are ones that you want.

I realize that season tickets are sold out and have been capped--so I'm checking to see are there places you can still buy them? I'm wondering if there is an exchange where existing season ticket owners are selling theirs. I know I can sign up for the Blue&Gold Club but it seems pretty arbitrary in that you don't know if tickets become available or if the seats that do are ones that you want.

You could have bought a whole season before the season started but not anymore. StubHub and other sell individual games prolly not what you want. Even if you bought a whole season from StubHub seller you'd still not be entitled to playoff games. get on the list, wait for the seats you want. Should only be like 5 years.

If you're willing to pay big bucks you can find them on Craigslist with ownership transfer for seasons. I don't know if thats still true now that the season has started or not but if money is no object you can do it! Post an ad saying you want to buy. Someone needs the money and will accomodate you. And I dont mean that in a bad way by any means.

If you're willing to pay big bucks you can find them on Craigslist with ownership transfer for seasons. I don't know if thats still true now that the season has started or not but if money is no object you can do it! Post an ad saying you want to buy. Someone needs the money and will accomodate you. And I dont mean that in a bad way by any means.

FYI You can never transfer full ownership of tickets.

I checked with a customer service rep and she said there were approximately 2500 people in line for season tickets and last year, about 250 people got them. Simple math, 10 years to a seat if the pattern holds. Of course if the team gets worse, it might be quicker. The rep seemed to indicate that when a seat becomes available--you have to take it even if if it is not where you want or you lose your spot. This doesn't sound accurate to me as compared to what is suggested on the website. I'm not fully convinced she knew the answer to my question. Any of you have more insight on this?

FYI You can never transfer full ownership of tickets.

I will have to call you on this then. I know someone who had seasons and got rid of them this past off season for cost plus 2K. Although the Bills are different because you have to sign a one year or three agreement for the tickets (Van Miller Club) thats how I got mine. The guy that had them didn't want them anymore and I said I would take them because they are awesome seats. Although I didn't pay him anything he also didn't have to honor the last year of his contract which I paid and ownership of the seats were transferred over to me.

I have to believe the Sabres also allow the same process. I say that because of ads I have seen on Craigslist saying they will transfer ownership of the season tickets and what I know the guy that I know did. Although he could be lying as he is prone to that type of thing. But I still believe this happens.

Why are you saying that you cant when many people claim they are doing exactly that?

What I still don't understand is how the Sabres have 15-16K season ticket holders and 2500 on the waiting list, yet they still can't sellout games and have 500-100 seats available the day of games.

Can someone explain?

They want to keep some seats available to the public so that you are still able to get a crack at seats. They could sell out the building on season tickets but choose (wisely imo) not to which allows everyone a chance to still get tickets to a game. They cap the number of seasons they sell. If they didn't there would be no chance for the public to get tix from them.

They want to keep some seats available to the public so that you are still able to get a crack at seats. They could sell out the building on season tickets but choose (wisely imo) not to which allows everyone a chance to still get tickets to a game. They cap the number of seasons they sell. If they didn't there would be no chance for the public to get tix from them.

Right...but there are only 2500 tickets available to each game......and it has been known since summer....yet the day of games many times they still have 500-1000 left. I still can't grasp how only 1,000 or so people buy single tickets, especially when 2500 are willing to buy season tickets and can't.

The Buffalo market baffles me I guess.

Blue & Gold club assigns you a numbered spot in the waiting list. Not sure how that's arbitrary. Did Ted Black once say they were looking at adding some seats to the FNC? I think he said there were places they could squeeze in a few more.

PTR

Blue & Gold club assigns you a numbered spot in the waiting list. Not sure how that's arbitrary. Did Ted Black once say they were looking at adding some seats to the FNC? I think he said there were places they could squeeze in a few more.

PTR

I think i was unclear in my post. Say I want a particular seating area, mid-ice lower level or something else specific. When a seat becomes available and is not in the area I want it, do I get to retain my spot in the list? Say it is 300 goal end and I don't want that. Can I wait til the spot I want becomes available? Or is it a "take it or leave it scenario"? I spoke to a rep today and she insinuated that you have to take whatever seat becomes available. But I got the feeling she didn't know her stuff.

Right...but there are only 2500 tickets available to each game......and it has been known since summer....yet the day of games many times they still have 500-1000 left. I still can't grasp how only 1,000 or so people buy single tickets, especially when 2500 are willing to buy season tickets and can't.

The Buffalo market baffles me I guess.

First, your math is off. 2500 available minus 500-1000 left means that 1500-2000 people buy single game tickets from the team, not 1000.

Second, it's hardly baffling. Season ticket holders pay pretty close to "value" price games for seats. (Mine are $62 each; for "value" games, the seats are $61.) There are only two "value" games on the schedule. For all other games, the difference between STH price and box office single-game price is significant, meaning both that single game tickets are expensive and that STHs can very easily undersell the Sabres for games that they cannot go to or do not want to go to. The box office price of my $62 seat is $71 bronze, $105 silver, $145 gold, and $191 platinum. There are a LOT of silver and gold games.

There are a lot of sellouts down there (and I don't mean Stafford), even with this screwiness.

First, your math is off. 2500 available minus 500-1000 left means that 1500-2000 people buy single game tickets from the team, not 1000.

Second, it's hardly baffling. Season ticket holders pay pretty close to "value" price games for seats. (Mine are $62 each; for "value" games, the seats are $61.) There are only two "value" games on the schedule. For all other games, the difference between STH price and box office single-game price is significant, meaning both that single game tickets are expensive and that STHs can very easily undersell the Sabres for games that they cannot go to or do not want to go to. The box office price of my $62 seat is $71 bronze, $105 silver, $145 gold, and $191 platinum. There are a LOT of silver and gold games.

There are a lot of sellouts down there (and I don't mean Stafford), even with this screwiness.

There were 5 value games this year. I bought a mini-pack at season ticket prices.

I am actually wondering though. I used to think Quinn was massaging the numbers, but it looks not to be the case. There is just nobody but a group of harcore regulars looking to buy tickets. Black expected the season to be sold out before it started, yet they advertise for all these tickets available and run tons of "specials".

I would just think that if 2500 were foaming to buy seasons that most of the season WOULD have sold out in July. I think I will ask Ted Black what he thinks at some point.

I think i was unclear in my post. Say I want a particular seating area, mid-ice lower level or something else specific. When a seat becomes available and is not in the area I want it, do I get to retain my spot in the list? Say it is 300 goal end and I don't want that. Can I wait til the spot I want becomes available? Or is it a "take it or leave it scenario"? I spoke to a rep today and she insinuated that you have to take whatever seat becomes available. But I got the feeling she didn't know her stuff.

The one thing I'll give the Bills over the Sabres is their season ticket upgrade method. How you upgrade a Sabres season ticket is mystery. You tell someone you want to do it and maybe you hear from them later. The Bills assign you a date based on your seniority when you can ask for an upgrade and you can move anywhere a seat is open.

PTR

The one thing I'll give the Bills over the Sabres is their season ticket upgrade method. How you upgrade a Sabres season ticket is mystery. You tell someone you want to do it and maybe you hear from them later. The Bills assign you a date based on your seniority when you can ask for an upgrade and you can move anywhere a seat is open.

PTR

So is there any point of getting on the Blue & Gold list if I only want a few specific seating areas? I just don't want any tickets but ones that I find acceptable.

So is there any point of getting on the Blue & Gold list if I only want a few specific seating areas? I just don't want any tickets but ones that I find acceptable.

Let's put it this way. If you DON'T sign up for Blue & Gold, you won't get ANY Sabres season tickets. Send a note to Ted Black if you don't agree but that's the system right now.

PTR

There were 5 value games this year. I bought a mini-pack at season ticket prices.

I am actually wondering though. I used to think Quinn was massaging the numbers, but it looks not to be the case. There is just nobody but a group of harcore regulars looking to buy tickets. Black expected the season to be sold out before it started, yet they advertise for all these tickets available and run tons of "specials".

I would just think that if 2500 were foaming to buy seasons that most of the season WOULD have sold out in July. I think I will ask Ted Black what he thinks at some point.

The games that are not sold out are the gold and platinum and for those games, it is only the high end seats that are available. If you do the math, they actually make more selling 2000 tickets at face value rather then selling all 2500 at season ticket price.

All that being said, I posted the day they announced the first promotion that Black had to be surprised. I bet there will be a big change in variable pricing next year to ensure that all seats are sold out and at the same time ensure that all revenue increases need to maximize revenue sharing are met.

The games that are not sold out are the gold and platinum and for those games, it is only the high end seats that are available. If you do the math, they actually make more selling 2000 tickets at face value rather then selling all 2500 at season ticket price.

All that being said, I posted the day they announced the first promotion that Black had to be surprised. I bet there will be a big change in variable pricing next year to ensure that all seats are sold out and at the same time ensure that all revenue increases need to maximize revenue sharing are met.

Not at all...watch the broadcasts, they have been listing how many tickets are left for games. 600, 900, 1000, 700 and for some games against crap teams.

We had a debate last year on this. I for one don't find good entertainment value going to a game at regular window prices. I can understand season tickets, especially in the 300 and 100 ends and corners where you get a break....but I have a hard time in my head justifying spending that much.

I don't know Blacks's view. I bought a mini-pack as a hedge to get playoff tickets. Go to a few el-cheapo games. I will give credit to the box office as they filled my order in such a particular fashion that I asked, I was shocked.

To give you an idea, I signed up for an additional 2 seats via Blue&Gold club last year during the playoffs (on April 14). A month later, Sabres sent me an email to let me know my number on the waiting list was 1901. After seasons were offered for 2011-12 season, I received another email on July 20 saying I moved all the way up to 1839 on the waiting list! Woo hoo! I believe attrition this past offseason was much lower than in the past. Assuming most people who signed up for the B&G Club selected 2 seats, that's about 3750 seats ahead of me in the waiting list. Doing the math, that's 30 years at this turnover rate! lol

Like PTR says - if you don't sign up, you have no chance of getting seasons! But you're also allowing the Sabres to hold onto your $100/seat for as long as it takes for your number to come up. And if you straight decline seats, you lose the money I believe.

From what I remember, you are able to choose upper level or lower level and keep your place in line if you decline b/c your preference of the two isn't available. I also don't believe you lose your spot if higher priced tickets are available than what you want, for example, lowers at center ice are offered and you want lower corners. Anyone have experience with that?

Agreed about upgrade options - I asked to move to lowers and I felt like it was written on a post-it note and I'll never hear about it!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Archived