All about Brule

X. Benedict

Gilbert Brule just got waived in Edmonton...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377274

He was the guy that picked up Bono hitchhiking.

Also a case study in why you don't bring up your talent too soon.

#6 overall pick that went right from Juniors to the NHL.

The Sabres should sign this kid just to get another center into the system. He is only 24.

The Sabres should sign this kid just to get another center into the system. He is only 24.

There are reasons why it would be tempting, but...

1.8 million dollar salary

He hasn't succeeded at center - he's played mostly wing in the NHL

This kid's head is in shambles.

Somebody might pick him up, but I don't think the Sabres are in a position to give

him a roster spot.

There are reasons why it would be tempting, but...

1.8 million dollar salary

He hasn't succeeded at center - he's played mostly wing in the NHL

This kid's head is in shambles.

Somebody might pick him up, but I don't think the Sabres are in a position to give

him a roster spot.

Don't they have a full time psychotherapist working at Western New York Hockey University at the Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial (WNYHUatBCAatWM)?

Here we go again with my ignorance of the CBA (I swear, one week, I'll read it). But can the Sabs pick him up and let him develop in Rochester? If so, DeLuca's idea is a really, really good one.

Here we go again with my ignorance of the CBA (I swear, one week, I'll read it). But can the Sabs pick him up and let him develop in Rochester?

No. If you pick Brule off waivers he's added to the 23 man roster.

So Buffalo would have to waive or demote someone else to add him.

No. If you pick Brule off waivers he's added to the 23 man roster.

So Buffalo would have to waive or demote someone else to add him.

Or after he goes down, you make a trade offer to the Eulers for something more budget friendly but not likely to make the Sabres' big squad in the next couple of years.

It's probably more effort than he's worth, but that's another possibility.

Or after he goes down, you make a trade offer to the Eulers for something more budget friendly but not likely to make the Sabres' big squad in the next couple of years.

It's probably more effort than he's worth, but that's another possibility.

Doesn't his 1.8 million contract follow?

He's guaranteed his money this year, isn't he?

I really don't think Brule is the answer to the Sabres' center issue, with mush for brains or not.

It' not about being the "answer."

It's about a minimal investment in a 24 year old that happens to play a position of need. You send the Oilers a low round pick and let the kid play in the ROC and see first hand if there is anything salvageable.

It's about a minimal investment in a 24 year old that happens to play a position of need. You send the Oilers a low round pick and let the kid play in the ROC and see first hand if there is anything salvageable.

I'd rather just wait for Toronto to waive Connolly in a year.

The Oilers may not even require a pick. Or it could be a conditional pick. Or cash (Ray Sheppard, anyone?). It's a good idea.

The Oilers may not even require a pick. Or it could be a conditional pick. Or cash (Ray Sheppard, anyone?). It's a good idea.

If the Sabres traded for Brule to play in Rochesdter and he lit up the AHL he would still have to clear re-entry waivers to play for Buffalo when anyone could pick him up for half price. With Buffalo paying half.

D

If the Sabres traded for Brule to play in Rochesdter and he lit up the AHL he would still have to clear re-entry waivers to play for Buffalo when anyone could pick him up for half price. With Buffalo paying half.

If he's on a 1 way deal, then he'd be over the cutoff for not having to clear reentry waivers.

I imagine for someone to be waived in Edmonton they have to be pretty useless.

Some players develop differently then others. Although, this was Brule's second team. Seems his attitude is a problem for him. It's no surprise he was waived by Edmonton, as they tried to trade him during the summer to Los Angeles in that Ryne Smyth deal. So he must of been real useless there, but for a guy that young, i'd atleast consider it. We have all the coaches in the world now to keep tabs on his developments. I'd think these are the type of players Sabres should be looking at. Guys who have all the talent but it just isn't there right now for some reason.

Signing Brule, would be the same "project" type as signing Joe Finley, although, at a higher cost, but with a higher reward. Both would still be big risks but the Sabres signed Joe Finley to see if their coaching staff can develop some of his talents that previous coaches were not.

D

EDIT: He's signed for $1.85MM and will be an RFA in '12-'13 according to NHL Numbers. (Based on earlier conversation, I'll assume that he's on a 1 way deal.)

So, hypothetically, the Sabres trade a used bag of pucks for Creme and send him to WNYHUatBCAatWM for the year. IF he pans out, they can bring him up in the off-season w/ no fear of re-entry waivers; they also could bring him up on an emergency recall if less than 12 forwards were healthy on the Sabres' roster.

If he doesn't pan out, TP's out 1 used puck bag and $3.7MM/2, which considering the ROI his cash is likely bringing in would effect his net worth comparably to someone from the board buying a pitcher and a dozen wings.

If they thought there was any reasonable possibility of turning him around, it'd be a fairly low risk way to get a solid sub $2MM center on the roster. But as mentioned somewhere upthread, it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

EDIT: Fixed the contract term. :doh:

Signing Brule, would be the same "project" type as signing Joe Finley, although, at a higher cost, but with a higher reward. Both would still be big risks but the Sabres signed Joe Finley to see if their coaching staff can develop some of his talents that previous coaches were not.

Did they ever actually give him a contract yet? I can't remember seeing anything official about that, but then again, I've been out of the loop a bit lately. Even if they have, with the depth they currently have on the blue line, I can't picture him anywhere but Gwinnett unless there's a run of injuries.

And speaking of Gwinnett, I just now realized that their AHL affiliates are Portland and Rochester. That's quite the coincidence there.

Did they ever actually give him a contract yet? I can't remember seeing anything official about that, but then again, I've been out of the loop a bit lately. Even if they have, with the depth they currently have on the blue line, I can't picture him anywhere but Gwinnett unless there's a run of injuries.

And speaking of Gwinnett, I just now realized that their AHL affiliates are Portland and Rochester. That's quite the coincidence there.

I thought i read they did few days ago, but since i searched to give you a link, i found out i was incorrect. However, this was posted earlier today, claiming they should sign Finley sometime today.

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/2011/10/03/joe-finley-to-sign-contract-with-amerkssabres/

He's signed through next year at $1.85MM and will still be an RFA according to NHL Numbers. (Based on earlier conversation, I'll assume that he's on a 1 way deal.)

So, hypothetically, the Sabres trade a used bag of pucks for Creme and send him to WNYHUatBCAatWM for the year. IF he pans out, they can bring him up in the off-season w/ no fear of re-entry waivers; they also could bring him up on an emergency recall if less than 12 forwards were healthy on the Sabres' roster.

If he doesn't pan out, TP's out 1 used puck bag and $3.7MM, which considering the ROI his cash is likely bringing in would effect his net worth comparably to someone from the board buying a pitcher and a dozen wings.

If they thought there was any reasonable possibility of turning him around, it'd be a fairly low risk way to get a solid sub $2MM center on the roster. But as mentioned somewhere upthread, it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

According to Capgeek he is a RFA next season. So that's only a $1.85 mil which I am sure can be covered by Pegula's Discover Card cash back rewards.

Archived