Trade ideas with LA

Warriorspikes51

There were some rumblings about us talking to LA. What kind of trade would you like to do with the Kings.

Pominville, 2nd, prospect for Dustin Brown ? We add a leader who is from this area who is among the leaders in hits every season. This really adds toughness to the top 6 which we don't have. This might be slight overpayment but that's what it would take.

Boyes, 2nd for Jarett Stoll. We add a fairly tough 3rd line center who would be able to center the 2nd line if needed and is good in the face-off circle. It makes sense for both teams since LA has enough centers and both players in the deal are UFA at the end of the year.

Any other ideas?

Can you please stop posting "rumors" or "rumblings" without some kind of source? Who, exactly, was rumbling about trades with LA? Was it on Darcy Regier's personal massage therapists facebook?

Also, neither of those deals is close to enough. Dustin Brown is their captain IIRC, Pommer and a pick won't do it. I know I was saying a similar package would work for Iginla, but there's a substantial difference in Iginla's value and Dustin Brown's.

The Stoll deal is more realistic, but I don't think other teams are going to give up a quality player for our garbage.

Can you please stop posting "rumors" or "rumblings" without some kind of source? Who, exactly, was rumbling about trades with LA? Was it on Darcy Regier's personal massage therapists facebook?

Grow up.....

speaking of rumors,

You might also want to take that silly "Yashin and the Buffalo Sabres" link out of your signature because there was never ANY chance of that happening.

Grow up.....

speaking of rumors,

You might also want to take that silly "Yashin and the Buffalo Sabres" link out of your signature because there was never ANY chance of that happening.

I didn't realize posting sources with your ###### "rumors" was too much to ask. My fault I guess! :rolleyes:

edit: But upon visiting everyone's favorite BS rumor generator, I see that you're once again just relaying what Eklund and his cronies come up with. Nice!

I didn't realize posting sources with your ###### "rumors" was too much to ask. My fault I guess! :rolleyes:

edit: But upon visiting everyone's favorite BS rumor generator, I see that you're once again just relaying what Eklund and his cronies come up with. Nice!

the thread says TRADE IDEAS. It is for fun.

Not that it means much, but I agree with you 100% here.

I agree with thesportsbuff here. Just because the idea sounds good to you or a buddy at the bar told you, doesn't make it a rumor. It's speculation or a fan proposal. If these are in fact speculations or fan proposals, then i'd really like to know ahead of time so i could just avoid this thread completely. If it's a rumor, it's got to have a source so we know whos reporting it. May be some basement reporter which we should put zero stock in, or maybe it's someone semi legit and then it becomes a pretty interesting topic.

There were some rumblings about us talking to LA. What kind of trade would you like to do with the Kings.

Pominville, 2nd, prospect for Dustin Brown ? We add a leader who is from this area who is among the leaders in hits every season. This really adds toughness to the top 6 which we don't have. This might be slight overpayment but that's what it would take.

Boyes, 2nd for Jarett Stoll. We add a fairly tough 3rd line center who would be able to center the 2nd line if needed and is good in the face-off circle. It makes sense for both teams since LA has enough centers and both players in the deal are UFA at the end of the year.

Any other ideas?

Dustin Brown is their captain at a great cap hit and overproduces against his cap hit. So why would Los Angeles be desperate to trade that kind of a player who overproduces against his cap hit? Also, the Kings have $9 million left against the cap in order to sign Drew Doughty, who by the way is the only player left on their team that they need to sign? Drew Doughty probably won't take $9 million in cap hit anyway, so why is Los Angeles desperate to take on a higher cap hit so they can sign Drew Doughty? Nothing here makes sense.

Also, why should the Sabres be giving up a second round pick for Jarret Stoll in addition to Brad Boyes? Nothing from their career stats indicates to me that Jarret Stoll is a better player than Brad Boyes and justifies an additional pick to make that trade. Also, in addition to trading away a 2nd round pick which seems completely unnecessary considering Stoll is not a better player than Boyes, the Sabres only save $400K in cap space and they need to clear $3.5 million, so how does the other $3.1 million get cleared? Aside from the fact that Rachel Hunter might attend some Sabres games, perhaps with Noureen Dewulf (Miller?), what benefit do the Sabres get by trading Boyes and a 2nd round pick for Jarret Stoll and only $400K of cap space?

Why do I even bother to respond? :wallbash:

Edit: I am mistaken as Jarret Stoll is now currently dating Katie Cassidy and no longer dating Rachel Hunter.

Also, why should the Sabres be giving up a second round pick for Jarret Stoll in addition to Brad Boyes?

Maybe because we are deep in scoring wingers and prospects, and shallow in the middle and lacking in grit?

I think that trade makes us a better team.

Maybe because we are deep in scoring wingers and prospects, and shallow in the middle and lacking in grit?

I think that trade makes us a better team.

But, I don't understand why the Sabres would need to add a 2nd round pick sweetener over and above just Brad Boyes? Jarret Stoll has not proven to be better than Boyes in his career at anything. So, why do the Sabres need to add the 2nd round pick sweetener? That makes no sense. Boyes for Stoll straight up could make sense although it in no way helps the cap problems, but there is zero reason for giving the Kings a 2nd round pick in addition to Boyes. Why?

But, I don't understand why the Sabres would need to add a 2nd round pick sweetener over and above just Brad Boyes? Jarret Stoll has not proven to be better than Boyes in his career at anything. So, why do the Sabres need to add the 2nd round pick sweetener? That makes no sense. Boyes for Stoll straight up could make sense although it in no way helps the cap problems, but there is zero reason for giving the Kings a 2nd round pick in addition to Boyes. Why?

A second rounder may be too much of a sweetener, but do I think most GMs would prefer Stoll over Boyes.

Don't think this is as much of a head-smacker as you seem to.

This is pure speculative "fun", but if the Kings would take Boyes and a third, I would do it.

Stoll is a much better third line centre than Hecht.

Hecht is less of an offensive threat than Boyes, but a better fit as a third line winger.

We have a glut of prospects and can afford to deal a pick.

The deal moves us closer to the Cup.

on the real though... the kings really made themselves cup contenders, much like the sabres did this off-season. mike richards, as much as i hate him for destroying TC in his last game as a sabre :( is a hell of a hockey player. kopitar drops down to the #2 center and is capable of dominating. i think they have a very good team and may be a bit under rated going into the season. of course, assuming they get doughty signed, they're just that much better.

Dustin Brown is their captain at a great cap hit and overproduces against his cap hit. So why would Los Angeles be desperate to trade that kind of a player who overproduces against his cap hit? Also, the Kings have $9 million left against the cap in order to sign Drew Doughty, who by the way is the only player left on their team that they need to sign? Drew Doughty probably won't take $9 million in cap hit anyway, so why is Los Angeles desperate to take on a higher cap hit so they can sign Drew Doughty? Nothing here makes sense.

Also, why should the Sabres be giving up a second round pick for Jarret Stoll in addition to Brad Boyes? Nothing from their career stats indicates to me that Jarret Stoll is a better player than Brad Boyes and justifies an additional pick to make that trade. Also, in addition to trading away a 2nd round pick which seems completely unnecessary considering Stoll is not a better player than Boyes, the Sabres only save $400K in cap space and they need to clear $3.5 million, so how does the other $3.1 million get cleared? Aside from the fact that Rachel Hunter might attend some Sabres games, perhaps with Noureen Dewulf (Miller?), what benefit do the Sabres get by trading Boyes and a 2nd round pick for Jarret Stoll and only $400K of cap space?

Why do I even bother to respond? :wallbash:

Edit: I am mistaken as Jarret Stoll is now currently dating Katie Cassidy and no longer dating Rachel Hunter.

Stoll is a much better player than Boyes and there is no way in hell the Kings would give him up for Boyes and a 2nd round pick. Stoll is an actual center that plays a physical game.

Stoll is a much better player than Boyes and there is no way in hell the Kings would give him up for Boyes and a 2nd round pick. Stoll is an actual center that plays a physical game.

I am not the president of the Brad Boyes fan club, but under what definition is Stoll a much better player than Boyes? If we are talking about the context of attracting nice looking ladies to be his girlfriend, Stoll is a much better player as he has dated Rachel Hunter and Katie Cassidy. If by player, we are talking exclusively faceoff percentage, then sure, Stoll is a better player than Boyes since Stoll is actually a centerman while Boyes is not. If we are talking career goals, assists, points, then it's not even remotely close. Stoll has played 22 more career NHL games than Boyes and has 53 fewer points. Stoll has fewer goals and fewer assists than Boyes. If we use everyone's favorite statistic to determine how great a player is defensively in +/-, Stoll has a career -12 while Boyes is a career -13. So, I guess Stoll is a significantly better defensive player than Boyes as he has been on the ice for one fewer goal against than Boyes has in 22 more NHL games.

So, in summary, Jarret Stoll is a better player in the context of attracting women, faceoff percentage, and has been on the ice for 1 less goal in his career than Brad Boyes. Don't let career stats blind your opinion. If the question is Jarret Stoll a better center than Boyes, the answer is probably because he's better at faceoffs. If the question is Jarret Stoll a better player than Boyes, the answer would be no as he has 53 fewer points in 22 more games played. If the question is Jarret Stoll a better player in the context of attracting hot women compared to Brad Boyes? The answer would be a resounding yes.

But, I'm sure you'd come up with a way to say Jarret Stoll is a better player than Daniel Briere, so I suppose we should consider the source.

I am not the president of the Brad Boyes fan club, but under what definition is Stoll a much better player than Boyes? If we are talking about the context of attracting nice looking ladies to be his girlfriend, Stoll is a much better player as he has dated Rachel Hunter and Katie Cassidy. If by player, we are talking exclusively faceoff percentage, then sure, Stoll is a better player than Boyes since Stoll is actually a centerman while Boyes is not. If we are talking career goals, assists, points, then it's not even remotely close. Stoll has played 22 more career NHL games than Boyes and has 53 fewer points. Stoll has fewer goals and fewer assists than Boyes. If we use everyone's favorite statistic to determine how great a player is defensively in +/-, Stoll has a career -12 while Boyes is a career -13. So, I guess Stoll is a significantly better defensive player than Boyes as he has been on the ice for one fewer goal against than Boyes has in 22 more NHL games.

So, in summary, Jarret Stoll is a better player in the context of attracting women, faceoff percentage, and has been on the ice for 1 less goal in his career than Brad Boyes. Don't let career stats blind your opinion. If the question is Jarret Stoll a better center than Boyes, the answer is probably because he's better at faceoffs. If the question is Jarret Stoll a better player than Boyes, the answer would be no as he has 53 fewer points in 22 more games played. If the question is Jarret Stoll a better player in the context of attracting hot women compared to Brad Boyes? The answer would be a resounding yes.

But, I'm sure you'd come up with a way to say Jarret Stoll is a better player than Daniel Briere, so I suppose we should consider the source.

I can see that all you have for an argument is to make it about anything but the players being discussed.

Stoll is a physical center which is a commodity that is in short supply in the NHL. Boyes at this point of his career is a 15-20 goal scorer that brings nothing else to the rink if he isn't scoring. Boyes had a couple of good seasons, that was three seasons ago. Those days are behind Boyes. Stoll is player that brings 15-20 goals, 40+ points, 150+ hits and will win about 57% of his face-offs. I doubt many Sabre fans would pass up Stoll in favor of keeping Boyes.

Stoll is a better player at a position the Sabres are in dire need to fill. Stoll is also about $400K cheaper.

I can see that all you have for an argument is to make it about anything but the players being discussed.

Stoll is a physical center which is a commodity that is in short supply in the NHL. Boyes at this point of his career is a 15-20 goal scorer that brings nothing else to the rink if he isn't scoring. Boyes had a couple of good seasons, that was three seasons ago. Those days are behind Boyes. Stoll is player that brings 15-20 goals, 40+ points, 150+ hits and will win about 57% of his face-offs. I doubt many Sabre fans would pass up Stoll in favor of keeping Boyes.

Stoll is a better player at a position the Sabres are in dire need to fill. Stoll is also about $400K cheaper.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I specifically was referring to career statistics, so I'm not particularly sure how I am making it about anything but the players being discussed. Statistically speaking, Boyes scored more points this past season than Stoll did, again. In fact, Stoll has only had one season in his entire career where he has had more points than Boyes, and Stoll has been in the league longer. You make it sound like Boyes is some washed up player when he is the exact same age as Stoll and has outperformed him statistically every year except for one season, and he outperformed Stoll statistically this past season. He also does not have a significantly better +/- than Boyes, so while he is more physical and hits people, it does not necessarily equate to him being a better player defensively than Brad Boyes since he's only been on the ice for 1 fewer goal throughout his entire career.

Sure, Stoll is a centerman which the Sabres need. But, my original point, if you go back a few posts is that Boyes has statistically proven throughout his career that he outperforms Stoll, and there is zero reason why the Sabres should trade Boyes AND a 2nd round pick for Stoll in this imaginary scenario that has been brought up in this thread in the first place. Trading Boyes for Stoll straight up is a fair enough trade and 2nd round pick sweetener is completely unnecessary. Also, Stoll is fantastic in the faceoff circle, hits people, and is a centerman that the Sabres could use, but he alone does not make this team into a Stanley Cup Contender. My preference would be to acquire a number 1 center either during this year or next offseason making Roy the #2 center, Leino the #3 center, and Gaustad (if re-signed) the fourth line center. That's what this team needs in my opinion, not another bottom six centerman. They need a better top six centerman. Jarret Stoll isn't a top 6 centerman in the NHL.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I specifically was referring to career statistics, so I'm not particularly sure how I am making it about anything but the players being discussed. Statistically speaking, Boyes scored more points this past season than Stoll did, again. In fact, Stoll has only had one season in his entire career where he has had more points than Boyes, and Stoll has been in the league longer. You make it sound like Boyes is some washed up player when he is the exact same age as Stoll and has outperformed him statistically every year except for one season, and he outperformed Stoll statistically this past season. He also does not have a significantly better +/- than Boyes, so while he is more physical and hits people, it does not necessarily equate to him being a better player defensively than Brad Boyes since he's only been on the ice for 1 fewer goal throughout his entire career.

Sure, Stoll is a centerman which the Sabres need. But, my original point, if you go back a few posts is that Boyes has statistically proven throughout his career that he outperforms Stoll, and there is zero reason why the Sabres should trade Boyes AND a 2nd round pick for Stoll in this imaginary scenario that has been brought up in this thread in the first place. Trading Boyes for Stoll straight up is a fair enough trade and 2nd round pick sweetener is completely unnecessary. Also, Stoll is fantastic in the faceoff circle, hits people, and is a centerman that the Sabres could use, but he alone does not make this team into a Stanley Cup Contender. My preference would be to acquire a number 1 center either during this year or next offseason making Roy the #2 center, Leino the #3 center, and Gaustad (if re-signed) the fourth line center. That's what this team needs in my opinion, not another bottom six centerman. They need a better top six centerman. Jarret Stoll isn't a top 6 centerman in the NHL.

Stoll would give the Sabres a second center to play behind Roy. It would be a tremendous upgrade over what the Sabres have behind Roy now. It would take more than Brad Boyes to acquire him. Boyes scored 33 goals in 2008-2009 and has 31 goals in the 163 games he has played since then. Boyes is a goal scorer that does little if anything else. If he is only producing 14 & 17 goals as he has the past two seasons I doubt any team is going to take him off the Sabres hands at $4 mil. Expecting a team like the Kings to give up a Jarret Stoll for a Brad Boyes just isn't realistic.

It would be a tremendous upgrade over what the Sabres have behind Roy now

No faith in Leino eh? I would definitely say Stoll has more value but it's not the kind thats really measured statistically. As previously stated he's physical, he's a leader, and he generally has a good reputation around the league for his work ethic. Boyes will put up more points but he is SOFT. I think he would make a great 3rd or 4th center behind Roy and Leino.

That said I don't know if LA would trade him or anyone right now. The Kings have improved this season and should they stay healthy could possibly move into the contender category in the west (assuming these players develope some chemistry). If we are looking to trade right now though, LA would be a good team to hoook up with as they have a ton of talent and a GM you know is not afraid to pull the trigger.

Archived