Gamecenter on PS3

MattPie

So it apparently slipped by me, but apparently there's a Gamecenter app for the PS3. Has anyone tried it? I've been thinking about how to watch the Sabres this year, and this might be pretty close to ideal for me. Comcast rarely seems to have the Sabres on in HD, although they do normally have the Buffalo feed available.

So, formal questions:

- How's the video quality? If it's wide screen, even if not in full bitrate HD, that's sufficient.

- Is the video relatively smooth?

- How often are you forced to watch the away feed?

I suppose if no one has tried the PS3 version, I guess same questions about the PC player, I'll assume they're equivalent.

(I think there may have been a thread on game center earlier, but I'm having trouble finding it.)

Quality is all dependent on a combination of your internet speed and your computer. Any kind of cable internet should be able to watch the games in high def (or damn near it), full screen quality on a good computer. I've never tried it on PS3, but a PS3 is basically just a computer with really good gaming specs, so I imagine it would probably actually work better than streaming on most of your standard home PCs.

I stream movies on Netflix all the time on my xbox and they are great HD quality. Only difference I could see with hockey is because it's live, but other than being a few seconds behind, I don't think that would cause any major problems.

As for the package itself, I think it's worth it as long as you double check the blackout rules. You can't watch the Sabres on GameCenter if you're in the market -- you mention that Comcast has the feed available, so maybe that would blackout the games on GameCenter. Not sure how the rules work and I don't know here Coatesville is! :lol:

So, formal questions:

- How's the video quality? If it's wide screen, even if not in full bitrate HD, that's sufficient.

- Is the video relatively smooth?

- How often are you forced to watch the away feed?

Video Quality is Widescreen Kinda-HD. Last season the HD feed was 3 Mbps (MPEG-4). As a comparison, DTV is 8 Mbps (MPEG-4) so it's not as good but it's usable - definitely.

This is more dependent on your platform - but I'm guessing the PS3, which can tear up 40 Mbps video that I throw at it - stutters only when the internet connection is shaky.

Only when the Sabres are playing your local market.

There is a ps3 version of the gamecenter app?

Where and how can i download it?

Sorry i use my PS3 mostly for Nhl 11 gaming.

Thanks a lot!

In the video section, scroll up to the top (the icon looks like a tv rainbow test pattern with the four Sony button symbols on it). Select that and there's a few apps to download (Netflix, NHL, etc.).

I've watched a bunch of Netflix and it seems pretty solid here (my down/up stream on FIOS is 20/2Mbps). I'm not in the market here, being 40 miles west of Philly, I just meant that the Comcast-flavored Center Ice here seems to have the Sabres home feed most of the time.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions regarding Gamecenter:

1. is there a discount for it if you are already a Center Ice subscriber?

2. is there a way to do Gamecenter on a pay-per-view basis (i.e. just for one game at a time)?

I suspect the answers to both of these are "no", but I'd appreciate any knowledge that anyone has.

thanks.

I am center ice subscriber too.

I understand that in the US you would only have to pay 10$ for the Ps3 App and could use your existing subsription.

As I understand it, Game Center and Center Ice are separate. Realistically, the NHL *should* give you a discount because you're paying for the same content twice. As for the PS3, as I understand it the app uses your *Game Center* subscription. I don't think it would work if you had Center Ice only.

FWIW, I cancelled my cable the other day and am going to Netflix, Legal Internet streams, Game Center+PS3. The only thing I'm missing out on is BBC stuff: Top Gear and Doctor Who. I'll just have to wait for those to come out on Netflix. Kinda sucks, but much cheaper.

FWIW, I cancelled my cable the other day and am going to Netflix, Legal Internet streams, Game Center+PS3. The only thing I'm missing out on is BBC stuff: Top Gear and Doctor Who. I'll just have to wait for those to come out on Netflix. Kinda sucks, but much cheaper.

Excellent, I was thinking of doing something similar. What about missing NHL Network, NFL Network, ESPNs (good for NCAAFB), and the major TV networks for NFL and NCAAFB? Plus, does Game Center show all the Versus games? Anyone have any solutions for those while going this route?

Excellent, I was thinking of doing something similar. What about missing NHL Network, NFL Network, ESPNs (good for NCAAFB), and the major TV networks for NFL and NCAAFB? Plus, does Game Center show all the Versus games? Anyone have any solutions for those while going this route?

I'm going to find an antenna for HD, and I'll just miss the other football games. For the VS, NHLN, and 4 Philly games, I'll just go to a bar, or if I end up with friends watch at their house.

We canned the pay tv last year as well.

You will miss some games on Versus and NHL network. I used these few games as an excuse to head out to the bars. Same for the one or two games a week that the NFL puts on cable.

Start Cheering for Notre Dame for NCAA FB, almost all the games are broadcast over the air (NBC (all home) or ABC (most away)). :thumbsup:

In most areas, with a halfway decent ($30-$50) antenna, you can get HD digital broadcasts of all the major networks plus PBS and some other stuff.

My biggest concern was the loss of Nick Jr. for my son, but the PBS Kids Station is way better, and free.

As I understand it, Game Center and Center Ice are separate. Realistically, the NHL *should* give you a discount because you're paying for the same content twice. As for the PS3, as I understand it the app uses your *Game Center* subscription. I don't think it would work if you had Center Ice only.FWIW, I cancelled my cable the other day and am going to Netflix, Legal Internet streams, Game Center+PS3. The only thing I'm missing out on is BBC stuff: Top Gear and Doctor Who. I'll just have to wait for those to come out on Netflix. Kinda sucks, but much cheaper.

Now you got me.

I just checked i am a gamecenter live subscriber. All this center ice gamecenter talk worried me.

@nfreeman: Sorry for being wrong. I mixed it up

Heads up: the PS3 Game Center App allows you to watch highlights and whatnot from last season for free after you install it. I assume that's the same video quality you'd get during a live game, and makes a good test. Plus, watching highlights on the big screen is nicer than youtube. :)

Heads up: the PS3 Game Center App allows you to watch highlights and whatnot from last season for free after you install it. I assume that's the same video quality you'd get during a live game, and makes a good test. Plus, watching highlights on the big screen is nicer than youtube. :)

I'm strongly considering purchasing it again this year... I did two years ago and it was a solid investment, but in the end I didn't get to watch as many games as I'd have liked to.

As a follow up, game on the big TV via PS3, home and away feeds available, life is good. The video quality is only OK. Looks like an SD feed stretched to widescreen. Somewhat fuzzy, but the motion is fluid and sound is in sync. No worse than Center Ice a couple years ago on Comcast. However, I'm hoping the video quality is only a refection on the game being in Europe. I'll check a US game later to see if it's better.

EDIT: Balls, the Ducks feed is better video quality. I hope this is an isolated incident, and not MSG BS.

As a follow up, game on the big TV via PS3, home and away feeds available, life is good. The video quality is only OK. Looks like an SD feed stretched to widescreen. Somewhat fuzzy, but the motion is fluid and sound is in sync. No worse than Center Ice a couple years ago on Comcast. However, I'm hoping the video quality is only a refection on the game being in Europe. I'll check a US game later to see if it's better.

EDIT: Balls, the Ducks feed is better video quality. I hope this is an isolated incident, and not MSG BS.

I think it's MSG acting up again....

The standard def feed is all MSG. Most of the games in the first half of the season last year was in SD while the rest of the teams were broadcasting on HD. Finally MSG switched to HD towards the middle of last year, not sure why todays game is in SD. I'm gonna wait until they get back to the US to see if MSG does something about it. GameCenter gets their feeds from the networks so they have nothing to do with what is broadcast to subscribers. I suggest contacting MSG to express your displeasure, I did several times last year. But I get the feeling it will fall on deaf ears. If you set the quality to 3 MBPS it will be the best quality you can get. The picture quality was crystal clear last year when they switched.

The Anaheim feed is HD and the announcers are pretty tolerable.

As I understand it, Game Center and Center Ice are separate. Realistically, the NHL *should* give you a discount because you're paying for the same content twice. As for the PS3, as I understand it the app uses your *Game Center* subscription. I don't think it would work if you had Center Ice only.

Yeah they are definitely two separate deals with no discounts.

I only saw the feeds on my Ipad. I hope they will the PS3 app in Europe soon.

How was the quality? On my pad the Buffalo feed was bad so i used the better ducks feed in the third.

The Duckd game was OK. SD TV, and not even great quality at that, stretched to wide-screen (a pet peeve of mine). The LA game was better. Still SD, but not stretched and better quality.

The standard def feed is all MSG. Most of the games in the first half of the season last year was in SD while the rest of the teams were broadcasting on HD. Finally MSG switched to HD towards the middle of last year, not sure why todays game is in SD. I'm gonna wait until they get back to the US to see if MSG does something about it. GameCenter gets their feeds from the networks so they have nothing to do with what is broadcast to subscribers. I suggest contacting MSG to express your displeasure, I did several times last year. But I get the feeling it will fall on deaf ears. If you set the quality to 3 MBPS it will be the best quality you can get. The picture quality was crystal clear last year when they switched.

The Anaheim feed is HD and the announcers are pretty tolerable.

What is the best way to contact MSG? At first I thought the horrible picture quality may have been due to the fact that they were in Europe, but the other games played there looked much better. I also checked out the replays of the Rangers, Devils, and Islanders, and all those game were broadcasted in HD.

I too ditched cable this year and purchased Game Center so I could watch the games in HD on my plasma. If this problem isn't fixed I may try and get a refund and go back to illegally streaming games online. Does anyone have the NFL Direct Ticket App for PS3? I guarantee that league would never allow any of their games to be broadcasted in SD. NHL really needs to get with the times if they want the sport to grow.

Archived