Season Outlook

BuffaloSoldier2010

NHL.com has released it's annual 30teams in 30days entry for Buffalo, and can be found here:

article

It's an interesting read. One of the slideshow panels also has some video highlights, as well as a team analysis by EJ Hradek.

I wanna know what everyone's take on the story is. Do you agree? disagree?

I for one really like the 3 questions in the article. I think they're spot on, and are going to be make or break for us this season.

NHL.com has released it's annual 30teams in 30days entry for Buffalo, and can be found here:

article

It's an interesting read. One of the slideshow panels also has some video highlights, as well as a team analysis by EJ Hradek.

I wanna know what everyone's take on the story is. Do you agree? disagree?

I for one really like the 3 questions in the article. I think they're spot on, and are going to be make or break for us this season.

That is a very good read. I also agree with the three questions posted and would add something to the effect can the centres hold up and play at a high level for the season? Obviously our D and Goaltending seem great on paper, it's just a factor of whether our O can get the job done. The addition of particularily Ehroff gives me optimism as I love his first outlet pass which should help our transition game even more.

It was a pretty basic article. Aside from some of the numbers and timelines being incorrect, it was a general summary of our losses and gains so far this summer.

The questions are obvious ones. How long until the new pieces have chemistry? Will they have chemistry? Will Miller return to Vezina form in front of a mostly offensive-minded defense? Do the players still follow and listen to Ruff? Will the fans throw slugs at Danny Briere and Timmy Connolly when they come to town? Can Patty Lalime return for a promotional night and stand at the gates and hand out pom-poms to entering fans?

The writer also seems to feel the Sabres will be dependent on Kotalik for leadership. I am not even going to say anything about that.

Aside from the questions posed, how the Sabres and staff approach the games will be critical (an obvious statement, but hey). Last year, the whole "lets go all out for the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes and float in-between" worked sometimes, but also backfired sometimes. I think the changes will allow the Sabres to roll lines like the mid-2000's Sabres, and would also help them move away from last years strategy. Then again, it is up to the coaching to decide the approach.

It was a pretty basic article. Aside from some of the numbers and timelines being incorrect, it was a general summary of our losses and gains so far this summer.

The questions are obvious ones. How long until the new pieces have chemistry? Will they have chemistry? Will Miller return to Vezina form in front of a mostly offensive-minded defense? Do the players still follow and listen to Ruff? Will the fans throw slugs at Danny Briere and Timmy Connolly when they come to town? Can Patty Lalime return for a promotional night and stand at the gates and hand out pom-poms to entering fans?

The writer also seems to feel the Sabres will be dependent on Kotalik for leadership. I am not even going to say anything about that.

Aside from the questions posed, how the Sabres and staff approach the games will be critical (an obvious statement, but hey). Last year, the whole "lets go all out for the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes and float in-between" worked sometimes, but also backfired sometimes. I think the changes will allow the Sabres to roll lines like the mid-2000's Sabres, and would also help them move away from last years strategy. Then again, it is up to the coaching to decide the approach.

Ya I kind of laughed when I read that.

I like EJ, I always like reading stuff like this as well. To be honest though it's nothing that hasn't been said quite a few times this offseason. 'an exciting year for the Sabres'.

And it will be more of the same until camp starts. It can't come soon enough.

Best part of the article is the Three Players to Watch:

Nathan Gerbe, C -- Another young player who figures to be a significant part of the Sabres future, Gerbe proved his worth in the NHL this past season despite his small stature. Standing just 5-foot-5, the lightning-fast Gerbe finished with 31 points in 64 regular-season games and was tied for second on the team with 2 goals in the postseason.

It's official. Gerbe can play center!

What did he mean "you're in"? Is there any doubt that we're a playoff team this year? Because I honestly think we're cup contenders.

We've had a huge amount of change, especially in defense. It takes teams a while to get used to that change. I thing the teams that make the most changes this offseason will struggle early on, including us. I also think we're a year away from being a true challenger anyway.

I see your point, and I think we will be true contenders very soon, just maybe not instantly :).

We've had a huge amount of change, especially in defense. It takes teams a while to get used to that change. I thing the teams that make the most changes this offseason will struggle early on, including us. I also think we're a year away from being a true challenger anyway.

The D pairings may not look great right away. Many D men don't look comfortable at all until a half-year with the new club.

But I do expect the D to be better on special teams right away. Regher on the kill, Erhoff on the PP should help right off.

The D pairings may not look great right away. Many D men don't look comfortable at all until a half-year with the new club.

But I do expect the D to be better on special teams right away. Regher on the kill, Erhoff on the PP should help right off.

PK I can see, PP I'm less sure. I think it'll take for the players and system to adjust, certainly since we've not had the greatest PP recently. Agree with you on everything else.

PK I can see, PP I'm less sure. I think it'll take for the players and system to adjust, certainly since we've not had the greatest PP recently. Agree with you on everything else.

The PP hasn't all that bad.....19.4 % for 9th in the league. 3rd in the Conference last year in percentage.

That was high too.

I guess my point was that whether the powerplay was good (or even good enough) depends on perspective. My perspective is that the powerplay needs a great deal of improvement. And the 13 short handed goals against is my reason why.

*just checked NHL.com. We were 3rd worst in SHG against. Dallas and Tampa had more SHG against than Buffalo. I would have swore we led the league in that category.

I guess my point was that whether the powerplay was good (or even good enough) depends on perspective. My perspective is that the powerplay needs a great deal of improvement. And the 13 short handed goals against is my reason why.

Its a fair point. It is hard to be happy with over 10 shorties against. They also gave up 10 empty netters......

Though not good, on the PP and final minutes I'd rather have a bias toward trying to score.

Erhoff will really help balance the PP unit.

Its a fair point. It is hard to be happy with over 10 shorties against. They also gave up 10 empty netters......

Though not good, on the PP and final minutes I'd rather have a bias toward trying to score.

Erhoff will really help balance the PP unit.

Having actual defensemen back at the point on the PP instead of Tim Connolly/forwards will definately help improve this stat.

Myers and Ehrhoff should help our pp immensely and I wonder if Leino has any value on the PP. He only had 11 ppp last season but I would guess that he was at best on the 2nd unit so I wonder if his puck controlling skills that have been discussed would help us. With that being said, I somehow doubt this defense would allow 10 shg this season, this team is growing up and I think some of those mental mistakes on the PP may go away.

Archived