Ehrhoff

Rico4Hall12

It'll be a toss up if he is worth the 40 mil or not.

Let's hope so.

But all in all, our D is absolutely better than it has been in the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Leino concerns me at center, and I'm still fully expecting a deal before opening day in order to bring Gragnani into the mix.

I have a strong feeling this will be the opening day line up:

Myers - Ehrhoff

Regher - Leopold

Weber - Sekera

Gragnani

That's what I'm looking at from a good fit perspective, It will undoubtedly be a different formula in so far as the actual line mates, but the players appear to be in place overall.

Gragnani not being signed has me somewhat firmly believing a trade is coming, not a blockbuster, but one that may add picks/prospects.

I see the RW position as the potential target for an additional player to be moved.

Training camp will tell us much on the defensive side and the pre-season (especially the first couple of games) are going to be sure fire indicators as to what type of defensive beast Buffalo has created. Atleast in my humble opinion.

Maybe there's a reason people don't fight him that much (I'm assuming a lot here)

If he can enforce on ice behavior with reputation alone I'm totally okay with that

You have to fight some to get a reputation that results in people not fighting you.

He's big enough to play rough but that's not why he was brought in here. He'll throw a good body check from time-to-time and get between the goalie and an opposing forward, but he's not an overly physical defenseman. He's not going to be Shoenfeld, that's for sure. Doug Bodger with more talent is a reasonable hope though.

You have to fight some to get a reputation that results in people not fighting you.

He's big enough to play rough but that's not why he was brought in here. He'll throw a good body check from time-to-time and get between the goalie and an opposing forward, but he's not an overly physical defenseman. He's

not going to be Shoenfeld, that's for sure. Doug Bodger with more talent is a reasonable hope though.

Ask #11 how many fights it took him to get people to back off.

I'm aware of the legend of Perreault one-punching a guy Edit- Dan Maloney, a genuine tough guy and breaking his nose. I'm sure it resulted in Bert getting respect. But I'm also sure it didn't result in guys being afraid to fight him. If guys were willing to challenge Larry Playfair, a truly fearsome fighter who did injure people when he hit them, then there would be plenty of guys willing to fight Perreault. He was respected for his tremendous talent and his clean game, and back then that sort of respect was returned so he wasn't bothered. I'm sure being backed up by guys that *were* actually feared (like Playfair and Schoenfeld) helped alot too.

Does this send this thread off into the ether? B-)

I'm aware of the legend of Perreault one-punching a guy and breaking his nose. I'm sure it resulted in Bert getting respect. But I'm also sure it didn't result in guys being afraid to fight him. If guys were willing to challenge Larry Playfair, a truly fearsome fighter who did injure people when he hit them, then there would be plenty of guys willing to fight Perreault. He was respected for his tremendous talent and his clean game, and back then that sort of respect was returned so he wasn't bothered. I'm sure being backed up by guys that *were* actually feared (like Playfair and Schoenfeld) helped alot too.

Does this send this thread off into the ether? B-)

Bolded section is a bit of a understatement. :) Shoenfeld was a funny guy ..the refs loved him

He's big enough to play rough but that's not why he was brought in here. He'll throw a good body check from time-to-time and get between the goalie and an opposing forward, but he's not an overly physical defenseman. He's not going to be Shoenfeld, that's for sure. Doug Bodger with more talent is a reasonable hope though.

Hence the "(I'm assuming a lot here)"

This is exactly what i was getting at :beer:

I'm just thinking out loud and saying it will be nice to actually be the team you don't want to play for a change. It hasn't been that way in forever.

Hardly truth.

It was a mere 5/6 seasons ago that the rest of the league felt that way about the Sabres, or have you forgotten already?

I'm pretty sure he was talking about a different kind of team that other teams don't want to play against. Given the context that the thread was taking, I took it as he was talking about a rough and tumble team. And it has been a very long time since we've had a team that other teams didn't want to play against because of physical play.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about a different kind of team that other teams don't want to play against. Given the context that the thread was taking, I took it as he was talking about a rough and tumble team. And it has been a very long time since we've had a team that other teams didn't want to play against because of physical play.

precisely

12 years, IMO. And I'm ok with it, especially with the new new NHL rules. The fewer suspensions, the better (and just about every Peca hit would have landed him on the discipline couch today).

12 years, IMO. And I'm ok with it, especially with the new new NHL rules. The fewer suspensions, the better (and just about every Peca hit would have landed him on the discipline couch today).

I'd rather have players on my team that are predisposed to having conference calls with the commish every once in awhile. I'm not saying I want a bunch of thugs, but hard ###### that are willing do do whatever it takes keep the other team looking over their shoulder. And that is an advantage on the ice.

And it's easier to rope in someone who's over agressive than it is to get an unagressive player to play with more fire.

I'd rather have players on my team that are predisposed to having conference calls with the commish every once in awhile. I'm not saying I want a bunch of thugs, but hard ###### that are willing do do whatever it takes keep the other team looking over their shoulder. And that is an advantage on the ice.

And it's easier to rope in someone who's over agressive than it is to get an unagressive player to play with more fire.

Well, the kid is in the system, now; I guess it's up to him (Kassian) to make the team.

Archived