DEFENSE

BuffaloSoldier2010

TJ Brennan was very impressive at camp last summer.

I'd look to him being as a potential call up next season.

Either way, the Sabres are going to need to land a legit top 4 dman this summer either via free agency or trade. We can't wait forever for our young dmen to develop. We need a solution NOW.

I do - Dimitri Kalinin would be a multiple 40-goal scorer if scoring in your own net counted, and Richard Smehlik was a natural at it as well.

Every team has one, and there's nothing you can do about it really.

Except get rid of them!

Except get rid of them!

Hehe yeah, but then magically the curse goes on to another player, and you still have goals go in off skates.

It's just a force of nature than can't be done away with.

You know, like the force of nature that automatically means a Zhitnik penalty taken late in a close game, MUST result in a goal against? The PK guys don't even have to take the ice, nothing they can do anyway.

I think this is going to be another offseason where we see two FA defensemen come in and two currently rostered defensemen leave. I like Monty and his game but I think he is a good candidate to upgrade. And I expect that one of Sekera/Butler won't be re-signed. If they go after one PP D-man (of which there are several) and one shutdown guy for the top 4 we should have a better D next season.

I'd like to see Darcy implement Brian Burke's philosophy on defence, 2 puck movers/powerplay guys and 4 guys that are difficult to play against. But that would be a multi-year change from where we are at currently.

I think this is going to be another offseason where we see two FA defensemen come in and two currently rostered defensemen leave. I like Monty and his game but I think he is a good candidate to upgrade. And I expect that one of Sekera/Butler won't be re-signed. If they go after one PP D-man (of which there are several) and one shutdown guy for the top 4 we should have a better D next season.

I'd like to see Darcy implement Brian Burke's philosophy on defence, 2 puck movers/powerplay guys and 4 guys that are difficult to play against. But that would be a multi-year change from where we are at currently.

I'd settle for 4 guys on the entire roster who are difficult to play against, let alone 4 defenseman who fit that description. :rolleyes:

There is no way they elect to keep Butler over Shakira. Shakira may be traded, but he is heads and shoulders better than Butler right now. I doubt they get rid of Butler either. They will likely keep him around as a cheap 7th.

Silly not to sign Sekera or Butler at restricted pricing. IMO.

Silly not to sign Sekera or Butler at restricted pricing. IMO.

Frees up a roster spot for an upgrade though. i don't think a year in Portland helps eithr of those two at this point so might as well send obne off to further his career elsewhere.

We obviously couldnt get Lidstrom because Detroit will resign him and he will retire there, but A guy like Christian Ehrhoff or Kaberle would be nice to have and we will have the money to do it as long as it is under 4.5-5mil because we also need to resign Myers and Weber. weber this offseason and myers hopefully well before next offseason. What are they worth? Ive stated on another thread I think weber is going up to around 1.25mil but thats just a guess and myers... 3mil for 7yrs, 4mil for 8yrs? more? less? If we can resign him this offseason WE SHOULD. He had an iffy year and his value might be slightly lower. We know hes gonna be here for a long time so lets sign him to that 8 yr deal and be done with it.

I know RFA's are near impossible to get but there are quite few RFA defensemen who are just amazing, Keith Yandle for phoenix might be a guy to consider. Phoenix has 12players including their goalie Bryzgalov who are either RFA(5) or UFA(7). They have money issues due to a list of reasons and out of those players only Yandle and Jovanoski are defense comin off the books potentially. Yandle: 10g, 44a, +1, 25ppp and hes 6'2" and only turning 25yrs old. Hes got pp potential and is depending on Phoenix's money situation could be either traded for or he may just not get resigned. Just another thought in the ever complicated what do we do on defense next year problem.

Archived