Ruff and Regier

LabattBlue

I have read over and over again how well these two work together, and that if one leaves, they would both probably leave.

Then answer me this...how is it that Lalime is now in his 3rd year with the Sabres and clearly Ruff doesn't want to play him AT ALL?

This doesn't sound like a coach and GM who are supposedly on the same page?

Does anyone believe that prior to signing Lalime in the offseason, that Ruff should not have violently objected? If he did and DR ignored him, Ruff should have put the ultimatum on the table. If he didn't object, then there is just cause for both of them to be fired.

IMO...This is more of a case of two guys who have become complacent in their positions.

Not that we need another thread on this but .....

i dont know how you can say Ruff is complacent. Have you seen his postgame comments or seen him screaming on the bench? that doesnt exude complacency in my book.

Also, remember that he refused to sign a new contract here. He's waiting to see what direction this team is going before committing. Again, not complacent.

Regier is a tougher call. One has to wonder how much his hands were tied. Pegula will certainly have the scoop on that.

How do you explain him accepting Lalime as his backup goalie? Do you not believe that he has any say in roster make-up?

The G.M. may take Ruffs concerns over team makeup into consideration but he's not likely to agree with everything Ruff says. Afterall Ruff is payed to coach and Regier has the G.M. title.

The G.M. may take Ruffs concerns over team makeup into consideration but he's not likely to agree with everything Ruff says. Afterall Ruff is payed to coach and Regier has the G.M. title.

Then this leads to my point that they don't work well together and that Lindy is complacent in that he just accepts whatever crap Regier throws his way.

Then this leads to my point that they don't work well together and that Lindy is complacent in that he just accepts whatever crap Regier throws his way.

Whats his recourse? quitting? he's already refused to sign a new contract.

As for Lalime the other poster is correct. there are 29 other NHL coaches who have to accept who the GM signs to play. Its not the coaches call..

Whats his recourse? quitting? he's already refused to sign a new contract.

As for Lalime the other poster is correct. there are 29 other NHL coaches who have to accept who the GM signs to play. Its not the coaches call..

If he wasn't "complacent", YES! His recourse would be to walk into Darcy's office and demand that a new backup be brought in over the offseason, and if it doesn't happen, here is my resignation. If he is in such high demand as everyone states, wouldn't Darcy find a way to accomodate Ruff? If not, Lindy would have no problem finding another job.

You believe that the coaches have no say in terms of roster makeup? Especially in a case like Lalime where it is clear that his play is not up to snuff, but for some reason he is being re-signed.

Coaches have say of course but not the final word.

Tell me the last high profile coach or any coach to resign?? Thats just not gonna happen to someone with any pride.

I dont ge tthe players i want so im taking my ball and going home!!

Ludicrous to think Ruff would quit over signing a backup player.

Coaches have say of course but not the final word.

Tell me the last high profile coach or any coach to resign?? Thats just not gonna happen to someone with any pride.

I dont ge tthe players i want so im taking my ball and going home!!

Ludicrous to think Ruff would quit over signing a backup player.

What kind of pride does a coach have that accepts the same crap at the backup goalie position 3 years running? ;)

What kind of pride does a coach have that accepts the same crap at the backup goalie position 3 years running? ;)

He's a backup player.

You realize how fast it would get around the league that Ruff quit bc he didn't get his way on a backup player.

Laughable.

He's a backup player.

You realize how fast it would get around the league that Ruff quit bc he didn't get his way on a backup player.

Laughable.

A backup that the coach has NO faith in putting between the pipes, and therefore, is running his starting goalie into the ground to the point that he is going into meltdown mode(again). Going back to my original question, Ruff & Regier clearly are not the dynamic duo that some make them out to be or else Lalime wouldn't be here.

A backup that the coach has NO faith in putting between the pipes, and therefore, is running his starting goalie into the ground to the point that he is going into meltdown mode(again). Going back to my original question, Ruff & Regier clearly are not the dynamic duo that some make them out to be or else Lalime wouldn't be here.

I dont know why Lalime is on this team. But Miller getting shelled yesterday after he had over a week off for the all star break isnt running him into the ground.

He hasn't had any faith in any of his backups since Marty left. This has very little to do with Lalime. Lindy does not play backup goalies. If you look over his entire time here, there were only three stretches where the #1 goalie didn't play over 65 games. Two of those were due to injury, Hasek's groin in 2000 and the Miller high ankle sprain a few years back. The other stretch was during the uncertainty that was Ryan Miller/Marty Biron/Mika Nororen. Hell, Lindy even put Biron out there 72 times the first year without Hasek.

edit: Fixed Miller's injury.

Miller is not neccesarily run into the ground, but he is def not the same goaltender as last year. I think that, coupled with the ATROCIOUS D we have had coming down the pike (especially yesterday OMG) have magnified the situation.

As for Ruff, there is no way a consumate proffesional such as him would ever throw a public temper tantrum over personnel. That would forever tarnish his reputaion as an elite coach. Case in point, ted nolan. After his temper tantrum here with larry quinn and the mucklers, he was black balled for almost a decade until they gave him a second chance on the island.

Just Saying...

Miller is not neccesarily run into the ground, but he is def not the same goaltender as last year. I think that, coupled with the ATROCIOUS D we have had coming down the pike (especially yesterday OMG) have magnified the situation.

As for Ruff, there is no way a consumate proffesional such as him would ever throw a public temper tantrum over personnel. That would forever tarnish his reputaion as an elite coach. Case in point, ted nolan. After his temper tantrum here with larry quinn and the mucklers, he was black balled for almost a decade until they gave him a second chance on the island.

Just Saying...

Mrs. Muckler was getting boinked too? Wow!

As for Ruff, there is no way a consumate proffesional such as him would ever throw a public temper tantrum over personnel. That would forever tarnish his reputaion as an elite coach.

I didn't say Ruff had to throw a public tantrum. What I would expect from the HC is for a meeting with DR to have taken place in the offseason prior to re-signing Lalime, where Ruff would state "under no circumstances do I want Lalime here for the 10-11 season.".

Lindy was swan diving all over the place for Regier in the media last week. He knows Darcy is on the ropes with Pegula and is doing his best to keep him here.

It's a nervous time. The List. DiPofi returning. Hearsay that Pegula not only likes Ruff, but Regier.

The honeymoon could be so short, Pegs might not get his pants off.

Gimlet.

It's a nervous time. The List. DiPofi returning. Hearsay that Pegula not only likes Ruff, but Regier.

The honeymoon could be so short, Pegs might not get his pants off.

Gimlet.

The only thing worse than this would be an announcement that Quinn is also staying on and Connolly has been signed to a new 3 year deal. :angry:

I didn't say Ruff had to throw a public tantrum. What I would expect from the HC is for a meeting with DR to have taken place in the offseason prior to re-signing Lalime, where Ruff would state "under no circumstances do I want Lalime here for the 10-11 season.".

Ok that is different. A perfect oppurtunity would have been to offer him to the isles for some pics, but that time has come and gone...But there has to be a taker out there to offer him to for a draft pic as opposed to just letting him walk away for nothing...Enroth needs to be up here learning from miller this season has without a shadow of a doubt exposed a serious weakness

Archived