Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

You said "Cutting your hand off at the wrist will get you through triage faster, but it certainly doesn't make you better than before." It does make you better if the hand is infected and you could possibly lose the entire arm or die. Ruff and Regier are the Gangrene that needs to be cut away before the rest of the body dies.

Well played....however....try playing hockey without a hand. :lol:

Not wanting to make the playoffs is like saying...

I don't want go to the dance because I won't have the prettiest dress.

I get wanting changes, but not making the playoffs doesn't force anyone's hand organizationally (you could still have the same owner), it just means not making the playoffs.

An 16-15 record can win a Stanley cup. A 0-0 is only a guarantee you can't win a thing.

Not wanting a chance is the very definition of defeatism.

I get wanting changes, but not making the playoffs doesn't force anyone's hand organizationally (you could still have the same owner), it just means not making the playoffs.

An 16-15 record can win a Stanley cup. A 0-0 is only a guarantee you can't win a thing.

I get what you are saying. But I don't think you get what we are saying fully when we say it is in the best interest of the Sabres not to make the playoffs. We are willing to sacrifice one week of hockey in April this season if it could lead to Sabres hockey being played in May and June in future seasons. It's not a guarantee but it is a small hope that, for myself, is worth holding onto. I am tired of hearing the word "just" when it comes to our sports teams. "Just" making the playoffs is not good enough for me. Like, Just having a team should make you happy or Just be glad we're not the Devils. Just wait till next year. I'm one of the older guys here n the board. I remember a time when the first round of the playoffs was "just" an extension of the regular season. I loathe the idea of watching this team miss the playoffs for the 6 time in 9 years. If you count the lockout, they have made the playoffs 3 times over a decades worth of time.

From where I am sitting a closer analogy might be, I don't want to go to the dance because it is a black tie affair and all I have is a polo shirt and jeans. I've been embarassed enpugh already by not having what all the cool kids have so I'm going to sit this one out and go next year wearing my fancy new duds.

It is not that we don't want the chance. It's that we don't think there really is a legit chance. :blush:

I'm Ok with being labeled a defeatist this season.

I get what you are saying. But I don't think you get what we are saying fully when we say it is in the best interest of the Sabres not to make the playoffs. We are willing to sacrifice one week of hockey in April this season if it could lead to Sabres hockey being played in May and June in future seasons. It's not a guarantee but it is a small hope that, for myself, is worth holding onto. I am tired of hearing the word "just" when it comes to our sports teams. "Just" making the playoffs is not good enough for me. Like, Just having a team should make you happy or Just be glad we're not the Devils. Just wait till next year. I'm one of the older guys here n the board. I remember a time when the first round of the playoffs was "just" an extension of the regular season. I loathe the idea of watching this team miss the playoffs for the 6 time in 9 years. If you count the lockout, they have made the playoffs 3 times over a decades worth of time.

HELLZ YEAH !!

How can one loath missing the playoffs and hope to miss the playoffs at the same time?

How can missing the playoffs be unacceptable and preferable at the same time?

Anyone remember the Ivan Boldrev led Canucks in 1982 in the white towel games.

They didn't win it all. But they caught fire with a less than a .500 regular season.

They lost to the Islanders in 4 straight in the Stanley Cup final.

Anyway, there is nothing worse than mid-April without a horse to back. I want the Sabres there even if they look like a chubby Buster Douglas. Anything can happen.

Without offending you, (seriously I'm not trying to) What a gloomy and un-fun perspective to adopt at this point of the season IMO. The season is predicated on 29 teams not winning the Stanley Cup. Buffalo will probably be one of those 29. ......but so will any other team you name at this point based on probability.

Cutting your hand off at the wrist will get you through triage faster, but it certainly doesn't make you better than before.

Any playoff experience can only help guys like Ennis, Weber, Adam, Myers, Gerbe and very possibly Kassian and Folgnio down the road.

Not making the playoffs only guarantees a top 14 draft pick. Nothing else.

Very well said, especially the bolded part.

Two things.

1 - that list of players does not instill any confidence.

2 - the Vanek, Pominville and Miller contracts were signed while this team was trying save face as a result of the Drury & Briere backlash.

The guys on that list have heart. I wish our skill guys had more heart than they do, but other than Miller, they don't. So be it. I think there is enough heart, and just enough skill, to make the playoffs. And, yes, I want to make the playoffs and worry about the effects on the future afterwards.

While you may be right about those 3 contracts, the fact remains that if one of the cornerstones of PAFan's "theory" is that the talent is held back so it doesn't have to get paid, it's hard for that theory overcome the presence of those contracts.

Minor point here: you can't lose more than 12 times in the playoffs (i.e. 3x per round) and still win the cup.

From where I am sitting a closer analogy might be, I don't want to go to the dance because it is a black tie affair and all I have is a polo shirt and jeans. I've been embarassed enpugh already by not having what all the cool kids have so I'm going to sit this one out and go next year wearing my fancy new duds.

Yes, but if you go to the dance, and your polo shirt and jeans are hanging just right, and that hottie from the cheerleading squad is in the mood and her date is a bozo, you might end up having a very memorable night -- even if you don't get the prom queen.

Would you rather miss the playoffs or get in, pull off an upset in round 1 (maybe some payback against Boston, for example) and play a very competitive round 2?

Would you rather miss the playoffs or get in, pull off an upset in round 1 (maybe some payback against Boston, for example) and play a very competitive round 2?

LOL

If I genuinely thought that a round 1 upset had a decent chance of occurring I'd prefer to watch them in the playoffs. Alas, I am not seeing things in this team that indicate to me that they can put up a good showing against a top 2 conference foe.

My point about preferring to miss the playoffs is predicated on the thought that making the playoffs means there is a greater chance that real substantive change won't be made to a team that "dealt with all those injuries and still managed to fight their way into the playoffs". We've heard the injury and luck of the bounce excuse too many times for me to want that card to come into play at all. If missing the playoffs is partially due to being sellers at the deadline, all the better. Because that means there is hope because change has already started.

LOL

If I genuinely thought that a round 1 upset had a decent chance of occurring I'd prefer to watch them in the playoffs. Alas, I am not seeing things in this team that indicate to me that they can put up a good showing against a top 2 conference foe.

My point about preferring to miss the playoffs is predicated on the thought that making the playoffs means there is a greater chance that real substantive change won't be made to a team that "dealt with all those injuries and still managed to fight their way into the playoffs". We've heard the injury and luck of the bounce excuse too many times for me to want that card to come into play at all. If missing the playoffs is partially due to being sellers at the deadline, all the better. Because that means there is hope because change has already started.

I have to agree with this. My greatest fear is that this current management group stays on after Pegula takes over if he ever does. As much as I crave the playoffs watching the trainwreck that was the first round last year hurt real bad. At times it looked like a bounce or two might have got them through that round and at times they looked like they didn't belong. If they don't make it this year I don't have to put up with that itchy playoff beard but I have to sit through watchin all my buds at the pub cheer on their teams. Now that sucks.

In prognosticating on missing the playoffs there is only one absolute. Miss the playoffs and you are guaranteed not to lift the cup.

As trending goes, probably the best predictor of teams that will miss the playoffs next year are the teams that miss the playoffs this year, regardless of changes.

Year on year futility has a way of carrying over, no matter what changes are made.

Ask Toronto, Florida, Edmonton, Islanders, etc..

If this team is in a dogfight to make it, I sure as hell want to see them make it.

I would be OK with either scenario as long as Rob Niedermayer is off this team next year.

Throw out Rivet, Grier, Connolly and Lalime while you're at it.

Get Pegula to enforce Regier -or insert GM here- to spend that extra $10 mill to the cap and send the message to UFAs that this management is going to at least commit the finances to try and win. It might help with the recruiting to make Buffalo a more attractive destination. Might help the GM land the players they haven't in the past offseasons - Saku Koivu is playing a nice role on Anaheim this year. Apparently we tried but got stuck with RN - who plays like nurse too.

How can one loath missing the playoffs and hope to miss the playoffs at the same time?

How can missing the playoffs be unacceptable and preferable at the same time?

Anyone remember the Ivan Boldrev led Canucks in 1982 in the white towel games.

They didn't win it all. But they caught fire with a less than a .500 regular season.

They lost to the Islanders in 4 straight in the Stanley Cup final.

Anyway, there is nothing worse than mid-April without a horse to back. I want the Sabres there even if they look like a chubby Buster Douglas. Anything can happen.

Sometimes you have to separate what is best from what is preferred.

I want the Sabres to be a Stanley Cup contender. I don't want to continue relying on under dog stories or sluggers chances.

Archived