Can Miller Steal A Cup With This Team - NO

CallawaySabres

06-07 Sabres averaged 30.6 shots against per game. Last season, when Miller posted career best stats the Sabres averaged 31.7 shots against per game.

I realize there is more to defense than shots against per game, but I think it can be argued that the 06-07 team didn't leave Miller out hanging by himself nearly as much as we'd like to think. Last season is generally considered in hindsight to be a good year defensively for Buffalo but they gave up over a shot per game more than that defense-be-damned team from 06-07.

Last year was all about "keeping shots to the outside." They were questioned a lot for the number of shots that they gave up and the usual response was that they weren't giving up quality shots. In 2006-07, it wasn't as much about quality second chances, but rather about quality first chances. Maybe my mind is a little foggy, too, but I remember there being a lot more give-and-go, tic-tac-toe chances going both ways than what we've seen in recent seasons. In short, I'm not surprised that the # of shots was the same, because it was the quality, not the quantity, of the shots that I remember being different.

Last year was all about "keeping shots to the outside." They were questioned a lot for the number of shots that they gave up and the usual response was that they weren't giving up quality shots. In 2006-07, it wasn't as much about quality second chances, but rather about quality first chances. Maybe my mind is a little foggy, too, but I remember there being a lot more give-and-go, tic-tac-toe chances going both ways than what we've seen in recent seasons. In short, I'm not surprised that the # of shots was the same, because it was the quality, not the quantity, of the shots that I remember being different.

Do you have a chart that illustrates this? :P :D

:nana:

Actually there are about them same.

Miller isn't winning a Vezina for making spectacular saves on shots from the outside. The defense last season was soft and they remain soft this season. They don't hit, block shots or give Miller many nights off with low shot totals. Not only was Miller one of the busiest as far as starts with 69 he was 4th in shots faced at 2098. That's not including the Olympic load he carried. There should have bee a emphasis last season to lighten the Miller's shots against totals. It cost them in the end.

To the main topic. How many goalies have actually "stolen" a Stanley Cup? If a goalie plays really well is that always considered "stealing" a Cup? Who are the goalies that are considered "Cup Thieves?"

After doing some painfully repetitious calculator work to get average shots per game I came up with;

06-07 Sabres averaged 30.6 shots against per game. Last season, when Miller posted career best stats the Sabres averaged 31.7 shots against per game.

I realize there is more to defense than shots against per game, but I think it can be argued that the 06-07 team didn't leave Miller out hanging by himself nearly as much as we'd like to think. Last season is generally considered in hindsight to be a good year defensively for Buffalo but they gave up over a shot per game more than that defense-be-damned team from 06-07.

Until someone can show me data to convince me otherwise I stand by my assertion that this year is an average year for Miller and that last season was an aberation.

U could just go to NHL stats.

Year SA, Shots for

06-07 was 31, 29.5

09-10 was 31.4, 31.6 and

10-11 is 30.1, 33.3

given the given, this year they're just not burying the puck. Shows up in GPG and GAPG too.

U could just go to NHL stats.

Year SA, Shots for

06-07 was 31, 29.5

09-10 was 31.4, 31.6 and

10-11 is 30.1, 33.3

given the given, this year they're just not burying the puck. Shows up in GPG and GAPG too.

Yeah. Or, I could have just gone to NHL stats. NO YOU SHUT UP !!!!!

:blush:

Defense and Character wins championships. When's the last time the Sabres had an NHL-best D along with great Character? Defense and character are not trademarks of the Sabres, it's the glitz of a high-flying offense. Once upon a time, the Sabres outsmarted the larger market teams and stockpiled real talent. At some point, the team got stupider and stupider, in their way of doing business, and selecting their players. Now the Sabres are so stupid, they've become the Florida Panthers, and teams like Atlanta (the horrors!) have leapfrogged them. The Sabres are currently so stupid, they think that they can win with only one goaltender in the regular season. Miller is like the Dutch kid with his thumb in the hole in the wall, trying to keep the water from rushing in. He can't do it himself and he's breaking down.

Only new ownership can change the identity, so we can can start out-smarting the big boys again. It'll take time. They'll have to re-think some of their current philosophies, like not having a scouting staff.

Archived