GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

That is why I don't concentrate as much on Quinn as others do. The money is there and is being spent. It is just being spent poorly. As much as I would like the Sabres to make some moves I really don't trust Regier to make them. I said it before, I don't want Regier to touch one penny of the $22 million of cap space available next off-season. I don't think he is qualified to make the moves needed to turn this franchise around.

The roster make up does not excuse Lindy Ruff. There is no excuse that Lindy Ruff supporters can use that will justify this team coming out this weekend with zero intensity. You don't need talent to play with emotion.

I'd be fine with Pegula giving DR another shot, but I'd also be fine with a new broom sweeping clean. It's hard to argue with your position. The money is indeed being spent poorly. The problem is that we really don't know whether DR was the one who made the decisions on contracts or not.

I'd be fine with Pegula giving DR another shot, but I'd also be fine with a new broom sweeping clean. It's hard to argue with your position. The money is indeed being spent poorly. The problem is that we really don't know whether DR was the one who made the decisions on contracts or not.

He's the GM. The responsibility is his to improve the team with personnel moves. It must be nice to sit on your ass for 11.5 months out of the year and make tons of money...

Hecht was under contract, so swap in McCormick (or maybe Gerbe or Ennis, given their two-way contracts) for Jochen.

You are right, but I meant dumping Hecht in trade or via waivers. Unlike Pommer, I think they could've found someone to take Hecht off of their hands.

Don't put words in my mouth ... er, quote box. :thumbsup:

He's the GM. The responsibility is his to improve the team with personnel moves. It must be nice to sit on your ass for 11.5 months out of the year and make tons of money...

His responsibility is to do what the owner and team president tell him to do, nothing more, and nothing less.

His responsibility is to do what the owner and team president tell him to do, nothing more, and nothing less.

11, correct as always. MadCap -- you can pretend that DR doesn't have bosses who have the ability to instruct him on personnel moves, but it doesn't mean it's really like that.

Don't put words in my mouth ... er, quote box. :thumbsup:

nfreeman, two minutes for penetrating carp's pink box... and a gross misconduct... nfreeman, time of the penalty 3:49.

Despite my admiring Carp from afar these past years, I've always tried to steer clear of both his mouth and box.

What words did I allegedly improperly insert into the wrong receptacle?

They have more cap space this season than last, no?

Does that mean they "backed off" on the budget? Aren't they spending about the same on payroll? In any case, I did agree with your fundamental point about the players taking the mail-it-in cue from management.

Quinn is not the team president.

What kind of GM would allow himself to be so castrated? (Haha, I just remembered the Coach calling Darcy "the eunuch.")

Quinn is not the team president.

What kind of GM would allow himself to be so castrated? (Haha, I just remembered the Coach calling Darcy "the eunuch.")

1. Managing partner, whatever. I know you're bright enough to get the point: Still only one meaningful trade in the 2d LQ regime, and that came very soon after the regime began.

2. There are 30 of these jobs in the world, they are a dream for a hockey guy (even if hands are tied), and they pay well and create a hell of a lot of security for one's family. I also remember people calling him "Niles Crane," but that didn't stop us from praising the moves he made while Quinn wasn't around.

1. Managing partner, whatever. I know you're bright enough to get the point: Still only one meaningful trade in the 2d LQ regime, and that came very soon after the regime began.

2. There are 30 of these jobs in the world, they are a dream for a hockey guy (even if hands are tied), and they pay well and create a hell of a lot of security for one's family. I also remember people calling him "Niles Crane," but that didn't stop us from praising the moves he made while Quinn wasn't around.

I thought your point was that Larry Quinn was Darcy's boss. A team president would be a general manager's boss. To my mind, a managing partner wouldn't be -- traditionally, owners provide the resources and direction and get out of the way.

Where's the evidence that LQ is serving as de facto GM? The fact that Darcy is still here is pretty good evidence Darcy is, in fact, the GM.

Actually, what they all say, consistently, including Lindy, is that they function as a team in all personnel decisions.

I thought your point was that Larry Quinn was Darcy's boss. A team president would be a general manager's boss. To my mind, a managing partner wouldn't be -- traditionally, owners provide the resources and direction and get out of the way.

Where's the evidence that LQ is serving as de facto GM? The fact that Darcy is still here is pretty good evidence Darcy is, in fact, the GM.

Actually, what they all say, consistently, including Lindy, is that they function as a team in all personnel decisions.

Who's the president? I know it used to be Quinn. Who's Darcys boss?

The fact that Darcy's title is GM is even better evidence that he, in fact, is the GM. How did you miss that one?

That doesn't mean that he's calling the shots, though. DR made some great--some, nearly genius--trades before LQ insinuated himself again into the Sabres' affairs. Circumstantial? Absolutely. Telling? Very likely.

I know what they all say. I doubt what they all say. Everything I know about LQ points to megalomania. All of that is based upon second-hand accounts, some of which are from Sabres employees, and some of which are from Quinn's friends.

I think I've said all I can say here. If you think Regier is in control of player-personnel decisions, that's fine. My opinion is supportable, even if it differs from yours.

Well, this is a fairly schizophrenic post. Thank you for inviting us to your internal dialogue. Will mother be by with the muffins shortly?

The fact that Darcy's title is GM is even better evidence that he, in fact, is the GM. How did you miss that one?

That doesn't mean that he's calling the shots, though. DR made some great--some, nearly genius--trades before LQ insinuated himself again into the Sabres' affairs. Circumstantial? Absolutely. Telling? Very likely.

I know what they all say. I doubt what they all say. Everything I know about LQ points to megalomania. All of that is based upon second-hand accounts, some of which are from Sabres employees, and some of which are from Quinn's friends.

I think I've said all I can say here. If you think Regier is in control of player-personnel decisions, that's fine. My opinion is supportable, even if it differs from yours.

There we go. A grownup speaks.

Well, this is a fairly schizophrenic post. Thank you for inviting us to your internal dialogue. Will mother be by with the muffins shortly?

There we go. A grownup speaks.

Posts can suffer mental illness? New one on me.

These guys, all four of them, have it muddled up for a reason: plausible deniability.

They lined Danny Briere up against a wall and all pulled the trigger. Only one live bullet though.

Posts can suffer mental illness? New one on me.

These guys, all four of them, have it muddled up for a reason: plausible deniability.

They lined Danny Briere up against a wall and all pulled the trigger. Only one live bullet though.

And now we get to the hysterical conspiracy theories.

And while even your posts cannot by themselves be mentally ill, they can in fact be schizophrenic: linkage

schiz·o·phren·ic (skĭtˌsə-frĕnˈĭk)

adjective

1. Of, relating to, or affected with schizophrenia.
  2. Of, relating to, or characterized by the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic elements.

And now we get to the hysterical conspiracy theories.

And while even your posts cannot by themselves be mentally ill, they can in fact be schizophrenic: linkage

Not to be too politically correct, but I'd say using the term schizophrenic in that way is pretty insensitive. But I guess we have lockerroom cancers, so...

Everyone knows how it works: OSP hearts LQ, LQ hearts Darce, Darce hearts Lindy. LQ got OSP the franchise, LQ got a piece of said franchise, and Darce and Lindy got jobs for life. If you think any one of them is walking the plank alone, you're, uh, nuts.

Not to be too politically correct, but I'd say using the term schizophrenic in that way is pretty insensitive. But I guess we have lockerroom cancers, so...

Everyone knows how it works: OSP hearts LQ, LQ hearts Darce, Darce hearts Lindy. LQ got OSP the franchise, LQ got a piece of said franchise, and Darce and Lindy got jobs for life. If you think any one of them is walking the plank alone, you're, uh, nuts.

I don't disagree with the 2nd paragraph, but this is not the same as the "plausible deniability" "theory."

As for your first paragraph: how nice.

Terry seems to be enjoying his newfound wealth:

A longtime PSU football assistant is trying to land a head coaching job at Temple.

"Known as a personable guy and a strong recruiter, [bradley] has one ace up his sleeve in this competition. Billionaire Penn State graduate and donor Terry Pegula, the man who gave $88 million to PSU to start a Division-I ice hockey program and build a new arena to house it, has made calls to Temple on Bradley's behalf and has piqued the interest of the school's board. Implicit, at least in the minds of Temple officials, is the possibility that Pegula could contribute toward upgrading the Owls' football program."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post?id=21310

Archived