In case your missed any goals lately...

wallybarthman

I've posted Tyler Myers' goal, Vanek's goal, Roy's shootout goal and Kovalchuk's no goal, plus Enroth's shootout win on YouTube - all highlights in 1080p HD.

2010-2011 Buffalo Sabres Highlights (HD) - YouTube

Awesome, thanks for posting those (especially tonight's - man you're fast!). I've been working so late I haven't gotten to watch most of these.

Thanks for doing this Wally. Where is the 1080p from?

It's a little bit of a stretch - but it's the truth.

MSG broadcasts in 1080i which I can capture to my computer. But if you upload 1080i video to YouTube it looks awful. So I have to deinterlace when I convert into a format that YouTube will accept. I set it to convert it to 1920x1080 footage @ 60 fps which only my PS3 can handle. YouTube converts it to 1920x1080 @ 30 frames per second.

The "beauty" of 1080i as a broadcast format is that if you've got good enough deinterlacing (and a lot of TVs do) and a 1080p TV you actually get the benefit of 1080i (more detail) and 720p (smoother motion). The problem is that some TV (such as my older LCD) are terrible at deinterlacing 1080i content so I normally watch it in 720p.

It's a little bit of a stretch - but it's the truth.

MSG broadcasts in 1080i which I can capture to my computer. But if you upload 1080i video to YouTube it looks awful. So I have to deinterlace when I convert into a format that YouTube will accept. I set it to convert it to 1920x1080 footage @ 60 fps which only my PS3 can handle. YouTube converts it to 1920x1080 @ 30 frames per second.

The "beauty" of 1080i as a broadcast format is that if you've got good enough deinterlacing (and a lot of TVs do) and a 1080p TV you actually get the benefit of 1080i (more detail) and 720p (smoother motion). The problem is that some TV (such as my older LCD) are terrible at deinterlacing 1080i content so I normally watch it in 720p.

I would nod my head in faux understanding, but every time I do that, the nurses run over and take my pulse. :)

Seriously... here's what's bugging me. Take, for example, the DirecTV Sports Mix channel. The banner at the top says the signal is 1080i, but it's really junky. Actually I can't find any channels where the info banner says anything other than 1080i.

Maybe I'm being picky. I only spent 600 bucks on the TV (but it's supposed to be a good one). Some of the HD channels don't look all that great. The standard def. channels are unwatchable.

I've posted Tyler Myers' goal, Vanek's goal, Roy's shootout goal and Kovalchuk's no goal, plus Enroth's shootout win on YouTube - all highlights in 1080p HD.

2010-2011 Buffalo Sabres Highlights (HD) - YouTube

Thanks Yo. That's some high quality video right there to go along with quality goal scoring.

I would nod my head in faux understanding, but every time I do that, the nurses run over and take my pulse. :)

Seriously... here's what's bugging me. Take, for example, the DirecTV Sports Mix channel. The banner at the top says the signal is 1080i, but it's really junky. Actually I can't find any channels where the info banner says anything other than 1080i.

Maybe I'm being picky. I only spent 600 bucks on the TV (but it's supposed to be a good one). Some of the HD channels don't look all that great. The standard def. channels are unwatchable.

I'd check your DTV receiver, you probably have it set to only output 1080i. If you enable all the video formats (480 i and p, 720p & 1080i,) then your TV will display the native resolution coming from the receiver.

Sometimes the picture you see is upconverted. Either by the receiver, your TV or the station itself. Basically they're filling in 760 lines for you.

As someone else noted, most likely your receiver is set to always output 1080i, regardless of what the actual resolution is. Question first, when you tune to an SD channel, are there black/gray/dark gray bars on the right and left or does the image fill the whole screen?

I'd check your DTV receiver, you probably have it set to only output 1080i. If you enable all the video formats (480 i and p, 720p & 1080i,) then your TV will display the native resolution coming from the receiver.

Both Wallys... I called DirecTV yesterday to ask why I wasn't receiving programming in 1080p, since I have a 1080p TV. The lady had me de-select all resolutions in System Setup except 1080i and 1080p. She also had me turn off Native Mode.

Now that I re-selected all resolutions and turned Native Mode back on, I can see that the Sports Mix is only in 480i. Same with Headline News, which surprises me.

As someone else noted, most likely your receiver is set to always output 1080i, regardless of what the actual resolution is. Question first, when you tune to an SD channel, are there black/gray/dark gray bars on the right and left or does the image fill the whole screen?

The image fills the whole screen.

The image fills the whole screen.

DirecTV only broadcasts in 480i, 720p, and 1080i. The only 1080p content is pay-per-view movies.

That being said, you want to re-enable 1080i and turn native off. All native does is increase the amount of time it takes to change a channel. Unless your TV has amazing internal image processing you won't notice the a difference in picture quality.

Then, tune to a SD channel and select the "Format" button on your remote and pick which format you like best. I use Pillar Boxing which makes SD channels look tolerable.

DirecTV only broadcasts in 480i, 720p, and 1080i. The only 1080p content is pay-per-view movies.

That being said, you want to re-enable 1080i and turn native off. All native does is increase the amount of time it takes to change a channel. Unless your TV has amazing internal image processing you won't notice the a difference in picture quality.

Then, tune to a SD channel and select the "Format" button on your remote and pick which format you like best. I use Pillar Boxing which makes SD channels look tolerable.

Thanks wally, you're the man.

I figured most of that out already.

So, are some HD programs better than others? Wheel of Fortune tonight, in 720p, looked pretty bad. OTOH, I've never wanted to lick Ina Garten's fingers more.

Thanks wally, you're the man.

I figured most of that out already.

So, are some HD programs better than others? Wheel of Fortune tonight, in 720p, looked pretty bad. OTOH, I've never wanted to lick Ina Garten's fingers more.

Definitely. What locals are you getting through DirecTV? Does DTV carry Erie locals or are you getting New York locals?

There are a lot of factors that impact the quality - it can be the cameras, the lighting, the encoding, the re-encoding, etc. The difference with HD is that you can actually tell the difference. I tend to find, for example, that I have to adjust my color settings for MSG.

Archived