currently second worst team in the league.

JohnRobertEichel

Unfortunately either Regiers ego,stubborness or simply a lack of ability have this team drowning in their own ineptness. I'm not just talking about this year and the sorry results of this teams lackluster efforts and obvious weakness as a 'team'. This goes back to last seasons playoffs and beyond. Darcy knew what was needed and admitted as much in the post playoff pressconference. Instead he decided to accept status quo as a good enough option. No true upgrades,just replacement parts.

The Sabres are only doing better than the Devils, a team that dresses 17 players per game due to salary cap constraints. And so continues the legacy of the Regier/Ruff post-lockout Sabres as perennial underachievers...

Doesn't underachieving imply there were some sort of lofty expectations from this group? They seem to be achieving exactly where their talent level should have them.

The subtractions between this year and last are Tallinder, Lydman, Mair, Kennedy, MacArthur (part of the year) and Ellis. They were replaced by Leopold, Morrisonn, Niedermayer and the combination of Ennis, Gerbe and McCormick. If we assume that the other players are about the same as they were last year (big assumption no doubt) then there must be a net loss in effectiveness between the 6 who left and the 6 who replaced them. IMHO, letting our #2 and #3 defensemen go is making a difference. I'm not saying Hank and Tony are/were great players, just saying we appear to be worse defensively so far. I also don't like the fact that Gerbe and Ennis are a combined 300 lbs. and are playing on the wing. Pretty hard for a 140 lb. guy to forecheck effectively.

Archived