NHL lays out new rules

spndnchz

Another example of the lunacy of the NHL....

Let's put out a video explaining how head shots and intent to injure are unacceptable......and as we show examples of 20 brutal hits we discourage and will not allow....we'll do so to a backdrop of death metal music, with driving drums and guitar riffs.

The people in charge of this league are ######

Anyway...thanks for the video chz. And I'm sure you're not as bad looking as Horatio Sanz.

I was following along, feeling pretty good about things, until the phrase "legal shoulder check to the head" popped up. The responsibility to avoid the check, in a "north south situation" is on the person being checked. That might make sense in some situations, but you know darn well the GMs, coaches and players of this league are going to take that loophole and run with it.

I was following along, feeling pretty good about things, until the phrase "legal shoulder check to the head" popped up. The responsibility to avoid the check, in a "north south situation" is on the person being checked. That might make sense in some situations, but you know darn well the GMs, coaches and players of this league are going to take that loophole and run with it.

As long as you hit the guy from the front - even if he is looking the other way - you are OK.

Following is the language for Rule 48 as it relates to the upcoming preseason and regular season:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head- A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted.

48.2 Minor Penalty- There is no provision for a minor penalty for this rule.

48.3 Major Penalty- For a violation of this rule, a major penalty shall be assessed (see 48.4).

48.4 Game Misconduct- An automatic game misconduct penalty shall be assessed whenever a major penalty is assessed under this rule.

48.5 Match Penalty- The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

48.6 Fines and Suspensions- Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under this rule, in either regular League or playoff games, shall be suspended automatically for the next game his team plays. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

What I expect 2 b the first casualty of new rules. No slash throat gestures allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHSe8sm1ocM

Dude did u sleep through the film?

I'd like your opinion on this. Does the player suspension model work?

Would a significant fine levied on the owner, GM or coach, or a suspension of the coach, or some kind of team penalty (lose a point in the standings for the most serious offense?) make more sense?

Suspending a player, oftentimes a scrub, for a game or two or five... what does it really accomplish?

It's like the war on drugs. Stop throwing the street level dealer in prison and go after the kingpins of this garbage. Not necessarily referring to the throat slash here, by the way. Just in general.

We all know you will one day be the first woman commish. What would your system of discipline look like, besides whips and chains and various plugs?

I'd like your opinion on this. Does the player suspension model work?

Would a significant fine levied on the owner, GM or coach, or a suspension of the coach, or some kind of team penalty (lose a point in the standings for the most serious offense?) make more sense?

Suspending a player, oftentimes a scrub, for a game or two or five... what does it really accomplish?

It's like the war on drugs. Stop throwing the street level dealer in prison and go after the kingpins of this garbage. Not necessarily referring to the throat slash here, by the way. Just in general.

We all know you will one day be the first woman commish. What would your system of discipline look like, besides whips and chains, tasers, and various plugs?

fixed

Thanks for posting the vid spndnchz!

I watched but didn't rewind it. Did anybody catch the elbow that Pronger laid out? I think they were saying that would still be a legal hit :unsure: I think that elbow is illegal now. :censored:

And good luck calling some of this stuff. There will be many cheesy penalties added to the game. Not that I'm advocating head shots. FAR from it. But some of this stuff I can easily see some extra acting and the ref will bite because the speed of the game is too fast and they have to make a split second decision.

Another example of the lunacy of the NHL....

Let's put out a video explaining how head shots and intent to injure are unacceptable......and as we show examples of 20 brutal hits we discourage and will not allow....we'll do so to a backdrop of death metal music, with driving drums and guitar riffs.

My thought exactly.

I think Boynton getting messed up by Blair Jones was enough of a punishment. That left just wrecked him.

You can say that again. It looked like he was winning the fight, then all of a sudden he was down on the ice wondering what day it was.

Archived