Wisniewski Traded To The Isles

VansTheMans

Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329050

The New York Islanders acquired defenceman James Wisniewski from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for a conditional third round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Wisniewski, 26, finished second among Ducks blue-liners in scoring and seventh on the team with a career-high 30 points (three goals, 27 assists) in 69 games last season.

Wiz had actually just signed a contract with the Ducks avoiding arbitration for 1 year and $3.25 million

I know some on the board were advocating we make a pitch to acquire his services. He had a break out season last year.

Should we have thrown the dice and given up a third to bolster our blue line?

It seems like a low risk, high reward trade on the Isles part.

Didn't see this posted anywhere:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329050

I know some on the board were advocating we make a pitch to acquire his services. He had a break out season last year.

Should we have thrown the dice and given up a third to bolster our blue line?

It seems like a low risk, high reward trade on the Isles part.

Well unless were staying far under the cap this year something is going to be done and I hope that wasnt the Duck Buffalo is interested in I want the money going towards the top six not a third or fourth defensemen. We already have seven defensemen under contract. I want to know what the teams over the cap are going to do. Vancouver, Calgary, Chicago, New Jersey and Boston are all over the cap. Some of them significantly so, is something going to happen and who can we possibly want.

Well unless were staying far under the cap this year something is going to be done and I hope that wasnt the Duck Buffalo is interested in I want the money going towards the top six not a third or fourth defensemen. We already have seven defensemen under contract. I want to know what the teams over the cap are going to do. Vancouver, Calgary, Chicago, New Jersey and Boston are all over the cap. Some of them significantly so, is something going to happen and who can we possibly want.

I don't know about the Devils, but the other 4 are over, and the Flyers right up there too - link

Regier was too busy with the intense Dennis McCauley negotiations. :doh: Someone really needs to cancel Regier's subscription to Mediocre Hockey Player Today! :doh:

If you cancel his subscription the Sabres offseason would become pretty much non existent. What someone needs to do is tell Darcy that he is the GM of an NHL team and focus his time on trying to acquire better players for that team, instead of just looking at restocking Portland

i was looking at cap geek im thinking roy and a second for bieksa and burrows or raymond would be nice and would get the canucks under the cap too

Burrows was a huge part of Vancouver's success last year and he's signed for a cheap $2 mil contract. I don't see them letting him go, especially not for Derek Roy.

Mason Raymond, on the other hand, is probably expendable to them. Granted he's only played two or three years in the league, but last year was the first time he's really showed any signs of becoming a solid offensive talent. He'd be a risk, and as much as everyone hates Derek Roy, I'm not sure if the difference in production between the two would be worth it. Also Raymond is only a $2.5 cap hit, so by taking on Roy they aren't gaining any space.

And like DeLuca said, Salo is out with a season ending injury and once he is/can be placed on LTIR he'll be off the books, I think?

Burrows was a huge part of Vancouver's success last year and he's signed for a cheap $2 mil contract. I don't see them letting him go, especially not for Derek Roy.

Mason Raymond, on the other hand, is probably expendable to them. Granted he's only played two or three years in the league, but last year was the first time he's really showed any signs of becoming a solid offensive talent. He'd be a risk, and as much as everyone hates Derek Roy, I'm not sure if the difference in production between the two would be worth it. Also Raymond is only a $2.5 cap hit, so by taking on Roy they aren't gaining any space.

And like DeLuca said, Salo is out with a season ending injury and once he is/can be placed on LTIR he'll be off the books, I think?

I think both players are big parts of their team and i added a second round pick from us getting bieksa so the cap stuation would be resolved. ITs true Salo would come off the books but if he comes back from injury early there screwed it might only be four months away and then they will have to be sellers come the trade deadline and they dont want that because they expect to take home a top three seedng again this year

I think both players are big parts of their team and i added a second round pick from us getting bieksa so the cap stuation would be resolved. ITs true Salo would come off the books but if he comes back from injury early there screwed it might only be four months away and then they will have to be sellers come the trade deadline and they dont want that because they expect to take home a top three seedng again this year

Well Derek Roy and a second round pick isn't going to be enough to get a key offensive player and a key defenseman from Vancouver, especially based on the premises that it will solve a salary cap problem that doesn't really exist. They might move some lesser pieces but if I were Vancouver I would keep my defense in tact, and IF Salo is able to come back sooner than expected, I'd worry about a trade then.

If anything, I'd put our best deal together to get Kesler-- but I doubt Vancouver has any interest in losing him, either.

He has to count against the cap before he can be placed on LTIR though. They have to get under the cap before anyone can be LTIRed, then they get the cap relief. They may be able to do that if they have enough young guys that they can temporarily send down to the AHL for a day, but I'm not very familiar with their roster.

Well Derek Roy and a second round pick isn't going to be enough to get a key offensive player and a key defenseman from Vancouver, especially based on the premises that it will solve a salary cap problem that doesn't really exist. They might move some lesser pieces but if I were Vancouver I would keep my defense in tact, and IF Salo is able to come back sooner than expected, I'd worry about a trade then.

If anything, I'd put our best deal together to get Kesler-- but I doubt Vancouver has any interest in losing him, either.

They have said they need to get rid of one of there defensemen and they have actively shopped bieksa and ehrhofF? either one would be a good pick up for us i just like bieksamore and the going rate for a deensemen making around three million has been a 3rd so i think the second could get the deal done

We have a greater need for point producting top C/RW at this time. Wisniewski does not fit that bill.

But either of the canucks would fit in that RW spot and im pretty sure each of them have some time at RW even though there listed as left wingers

I would agree with you on that. I remember when Bobby Clarke, when he was the Broad Street Beavers GM, put out on an offer sheet on him, and Vancouver matched. Needless to say, they weren't too happy with the toothless wonder.

my 2 cents: if the Sabres spend some money on a good forward between now and camp, that is the preferred move and a better use of resources (which are limited). If they don't, though, then Wisniewski would have been a good addition.

Archived