The Longer The Wait, The Worse For The Sabres

BillHoppe

Bill, I agree that the Sabres need someone to play the point with Tyler Myers on the powerplay. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the UFA defensemen we all would love to see in Buffalo will be signed by the time Darcy Regier finally gets to his office and checks his e-mails. Someone like Derek Morris is probably the best we can hope for.

There is always the possibility that Regier will use Tim Connolly to bring in someone.

Sorry but to bring both or either back would be a mistake. Tallinder was big in Myers' success but how much of it was Myers making the big softie look good?

Lydman can be replaced at 1/5 the cost with Weber.

I was struck by Bill's comment that Weber was so good late in 07-08. That's an eternity ago. Where's he been?

Replace in what sense, ink? Just a body? Sure.

I thought the Sabres wanted to get back to contender status.

Losing two veterans and plugging in two kids or one kid and a FA scrub doesn't make this team better. Assuming the kids aren't Myers Kids, that is.

I was struck by Bill's comment that Weber was so good late in 07-08. That's an eternity ago. Where's he been?

Losing two veterans and plugging in two kids or one kid and a FA scrub doesn't make this team better. Assuming the kids aren't Myers Kids, that is.

Weber was great two years ago. It's shocking he's only been up sporadically since then. But 08/09 was a lost year for him with injuries. He was buried in 09/10. I think he can come up and move in seamlessly, play a sturdy game. But you're right, Weber and a mid-level UFA doesn't cut it, so if that indeed happens, they take a huge hit. Maybe they make a trade instead. Who knows?

I smell a heaping pile of Status Quo. :sick:

Is it unrealistic that the Sabres will be spectators again this offseason? That their plan from the beginning is to let all the top end blue-liners get signed then bring back Tallinder and Lydman? Their way to circumvent the sure criticism they will face? Sadly, I think that may be where we are heading.

Is it unrealistic that the Sabres will be spectators again this offseason? That their plan from the beginning is to let all the top end blue-liners get signed then bring back Tallinder and Lydman? Their way to circumvent the sure criticism they will face? Sadly, I think that may be where we are heading.

I expect the standard "we were shocked to see the way the market turned out" remark, any day now.

In case there was any doubt, THIS is why we talk about the uniforms.

Just spent an hour listening to the NHL Network on XM. Every team in the Northeast was discussed - except Buffalo. There was no mention of Buffalo or Sabres the whole hour. I think the entire NHL would be shocked if the Sabres did a single thing this summer...

My 2 cents:

1. Tallinder and Lydman simply aren't that good. The $6MM the Sabres paid them last year will be much better spent elsewhere.

2. I am really hoping Weber will take one of the 2 top-6 spots vacated by Tallinder and Lydman. I have no idea whether he'll be able to handle it -- his last couple of call-ups, he didn't look ready for prime time. However, he won't play in the top 6 unless he's ready, and if he is, he'll be the tough SOB that the Sabres' D has needed for a while now.

3. If Weber does get one of the spots, I assume he'll make about $1MM, which leaves $5MM from Tallinder and Lydman to spend on a good player.

4. That good player might be a guy like Kaberle or Martin or Hamhuis, or it might be a good forward -- which is what the Sabres really need.

5. It's also quite possible that Sekera or Butler plays well enough to grab the other top-6 spot. Both have shown flashes of the ability to be a good NHL defenseman. From my perspective, this would be the best outcome, as it would free up the cash to be used on a forward.

6. Bottom line: IMHO, letting Tallinder and Lydman go is like letting Max and Kotalik go. All were serviceable NHL players but overpaid and as a result detracted from the team's ability to attend to its needs.

Bill, I agree that the Sabres need someone to play the point with Tyler Myers on the powerplay. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the UFA defensemen we all would love to see in Buffalo will be signed by the time Darcy Regier finally gets to his office and checks his e-mails. Someone like Derek Morris is probably the best we can hope for.

There is always the possibility that Regier will use Tim Connolly to bring in someone.

Sorry - Morris re-signed with the 'yotes.... Darcy? Darcy? Are you there?

6. Bottom line: IMHO, letting Tallinder and Lydman go is like letting Max and Kotalik go. All were serviceable NHL players but overpaid and as a result detracted from the team's ability to attend to its needs.

I don't agree with No. 6 at all. Max went to training camp on a tryout last year. Kotalik might be out of the league.

Sorry - Morris re-signed with the 'yotes.... Darcy? Darcy? Are you there?

Morris appears to be pretty fragile mentally at this point. He failed so miserably last year in Boston that he had to be traded back to the only place he was comfortable, Phoenix. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he signed right back with the Coyotes immediately.

Does anyone thing Toni would take a one-year deal or a shorter deal/way less $$$ to stay here? It's VERY unlikely. But if one guy ever did it, I see it being Toni.

Well looks like he just took less money to leave here... crazy. Must be Darcy showed absolutely no interest in keeping him.

Couldn't agree more -- and welcome back, PA!

I don't agree with No. 6 at all. Max went to training camp on a tryout last year. Kotalik might be out of the league.

Well, Lydman got healthy-scratched last year, and Max didn't. Max is still in the league, and will probably get a decent contract from someone in the next day or so. And I think I read that Kotalik, contrary to initial reports, was waived but not bought out -- so he is under a fat NHL contract for 2 more years. He most likely will play somewhere in the NHL this year. I would guess their collective contributions this year will be about as much as Lydman's and Tallinder's.

Wouldn't it be a refreshing change to have the UFA Open Season start at 12 noon and at 12:01 have it announced that the Sabres have signed Gonchar, Cullen, Lombardi, and Volchenkov?

Just a dream...but wouldn't it be nice?

Archived