IMO, this is why people don't like hockey

Ted's Hot Dogs

I Live in Jacksonville,Fl, not exactly hockey town. Anyways I have had mild success with some of my friends in introducing the game of hockey. For instance, a boston sports fan, who was interested into boston sports.. Except for the bruins. Through the 2005-2007 span of the sabres great span. Me and him watched lot's of games and he got really into it. Keep with me I will explain my point at the end of the page. Second a chicago fan, also intersted into chicago sports, but not really the black hawks. And then they went on there magical run.Through that season he bought lot's of hawks gear including two jersey's... and bought both nhl 09 and 10.... Ok to my point. Now both don't like hockey and one (the chicago fan) said he hated it. They claim that superstars of your teams and free agency is way to sporadic. To make it simple, teams don't make many attempts to resign good and media friendly players. I have to agree with them. How could drury, briere, campbell, be let go all at once they said?. How come Byfuglein and Versteeg get traded when there is so much hype with them and the fans?. As I stated before I have to agree. Yes that there is a salary cap. But trading away key players make it really hard for non-casual or new hockey fans to watch.It just seems like players don't stay on a team for more than four years.

I Live in Jacksonville,Fl, not exactly hockey town. Anyways I have had mild success with some of my friends in introducing the game of hockey. For instance, a boston sports fan, who was interested into boston sports.. Except for the bruins. Through the 2005-2007 span of the sabres great span. Me and him watched lot's of games and he got really into it. Keep with me I will explain my point at the end of the page. Second a chicago fan, also intersted into chicago sports, but not really the black hawks. And then they went on there magical run.Through that season he bought lot's of hawks gear including two jersey's... and bought both nhl 09 and 10.... Ok to my point. Now both don't like hockey and one (the chicago fan) said he hated it. They claim that superstars of your teams and free agency is way to sporadic. To make it simple, teams don't make many attempts to resign good and media friendly players. I have to agree with them. How could drury, briere, campbell, be let go all at once they said?. How come Byfuglein and Versteeg get traded when there is so much hype with them and the fans?. As I stated before I have to agree. Yes that there is a salary cap. But trading away key players make it really hard for non-casual or new hockey fans to watch.It just seems like players don't stay on a team for more than four years.

If that's the case, explain the popularity of baseball.

For anything to be really popular in this country you need to hit the two largest demographics, the inner city and the trailer parks. Hockey does not appeal to either. The cost and the availability of rinks pretty much eliminates the inner city. The trailer parks spend all their time watching QVC, The 700 Club and American Idol. That is why TV shows like Arrested Development get canceled. That said, I am very happy where the NHL is. I don't want it to get so big that it makes a real hockey city like Buffalo irrelevant.

For anything to be really popular in this country you need to hit the two largest demographics, the inner city and the trailer parks. Hockey does not appeal to either. The cost and the availability of rinks pretty much eliminates the inner city. The trailer parks spend all their time watching QVC, The 700 Club and American Idol. That is why TV shows like Arrested Development get canceled. That said, I am very happy where the NHL is. I don't want it to get so big that it makes a real hockey city like Buffalo irrelevant.

You really think advertisers gear toward the inner city and/or trailer parks and that those are the two largest demographics? I'm guessing its a joke, but....

You really think advertisers gear toward the inner city and/or trailer parks and that those are the two largest demographics? I'm guessing its a joke, but....

I live in an inner city trailer park and my TV only shows ads.

Are we talking strictly TV? The inner city issue is availability and cost. Trailer parks? Look at the TV schedules? Loaded with mindless reality TV fueled by the ratings provided by the trailer parks. Two completely separate issues.

Your friend is complaining about Versteeg and Byfuglien being traded? The core of the Blackhawks isn't those two guys. The core is Kane, Toews, and Keith. Your friends are fools. The core will remain and the Hawks will be a powerhouse next season too. Maybe when these "fans" notice that they won't be so quick to criticize.

People who don't like hockey #1 have never played it and #2 have probably never been to a live game. In other words, they're ignorant and will grasp at any excuse to complain about it.

Your friend is complaining about Versteeg (who hasn't even been traded yet to my knowledge) and Byfuglien being traded? The core of the Blackhawks isn't those two guys. The core is Kane, Toews, and Keith. Your friends are fools. The core will remain and the Hawks will be a powerhouse next season too. Maybe when these "fans" notice that they won't be so quick to criticize.

People who don't like hockey #1 have never played it and #2 have probably never been to a live game. In other words, they're ignorant and will grasp at any excuse to complain about it.

I guess you will be starting a thread when you finally find out :doh:

In my opinion it is difficult for the casual sports fan to differentiate the play of a "superstar" and "regular" NHL player. Although you hear about an elite player's ability to "see the ice" extremely well, much like an elite basketball player can "see the floor," or their great hand eye coordination, similar to what is characterized of great baseball players, there aren't many opportunities for a "superstar" player in the NHL to give you an "in your face" moment that just sets them above all the rest. In those previously mentioned sports on a more consistent basis you can see a spectacular catch or crossover that leads to a dunk which allows the fan to see how much better that player is than his competition. Those are plays that get people out of their seats, or culminate in an arena/stadium wide "ooooh," not just because it happened but because it was such a special play. In hockey, fans stand in their seats on a goal, during a fight, after a big hit, or following a great penalty kill. None of those events necessarily correspond with the actions of a "superstar" in comparison with his peers. Often, these actions are the result of a team effort rather than the actions of an individual "superstar." For those reasons, I believe, it is harder to market superstars in the NHL rather than a league such as the NBA.

A couple of other points:

-Don't discount the fact that hockey is considered a foreign game in comparison to the other major sports. Hockey has its roots in Canada and many of the best players in the NHL come from Canada and Europe. That doesn't necessarily mean that sports fans don't respect them or their play. I think there is a certain pride factor that comes from knowing that your country consistently produces the worlds best.

-The ESPN factor also has to be included. I honestly believe that a large percentage of sports fans become bigger fans of certain sports because a network like ESPN constantly covers them. I understand that inherently, these stations exist to satisfy the demands of sports fans that want to see the most popular sports covered on a 24 hour basis. However, when ESPN pushes World Cup soccer down the throats of its viewers and the result is 14.9 million people watching a U.S. vs. Ghana game, I would say that ESPN's supply does have an initial effect on the demand. Of course there is national pride and the rarity of the World Cup to include as factors. However, I feel that the push of networks can drive viewership habits.

I agree with this thread a little bit. It's hard for new fans to fall in love with a team when there's different faces around every year. There's nothing anyone can really do about it, but if you're a new/semi-casual fan and watch a game every once in a while, it makes it easier to become accustomed to the sport when you've got the same batch of players every year (for the most part). However, many would also say that this is the major reason that the Sabres have been garbages -- same faces for too long. Ultimately I don't think it's affecting the sport's popularity a great deal, but I can certainly see where you're coming from.

I'm sick of the US media telling me I don't like Hockey. Baseball is way worse with free agency, and its like watching paint dry until the playoffs. Johnny Damon has made a career out of leaving his team after they win the World Series. Chicago is lucky they won the cup this year because they are going to lose a huge chunk of their team. Don't even get me started on Basketball. I don't know one person who actually follows the NBA, and the New York Media's behavior regarding LeBron James is disgusting.

I haven't watched a complete Major League Baseball game since free agency started. In fact, I don't follow any of the other three major sports the way I did in years past. Free agency may be great for the players wallets (not to mention their agents' wallets), but it's tough to keep following a team that turns over most of its roster every few years. The Sabres, and the NHL, are the exceptions. Now, that too may be on the wane....

I agree with this thread a little bit. It's hard for new fans to fall in love with a team when there's different faces around every year. There's nothing anyone can really do about it, but if you're a new/semi-casual fan and watch a game every once in a while, it makes it easier to become accustomed to the sport when you've got the same batch of players every year (for the most part). However, many would also say that this is the major reason that the Sabres have been garbages -- same faces for too long. Ultimately I don't think it's affecting the sport's popularity a great deal, but I can certainly see where you're coming from.

You just described every single pro sport. There are plenty of reasons why hockey has a weaker following around the US. I'd say one of the big one's is the fact that the league is about 20% american. So many people are always big on buying american and things like that. Hockey can never offer that. The typical american can't relate to some guy named Gordie from Alberta. Well they can, but they're just too short-minded and think that Canada is as different from the USA as China is.

Then there's the fact that all the other sports are based on something that any healthy person can do, running. Hockey involves learning a new method of movement that many people have never done or are too lazy to learn. They can't relate to it.

Then there's the big one. The other sports can be played at just about any time, anywhere. Hockey calls for a specific atmosphere, location, and equipment. The more complicated the setup gets, the more likely a group of kids are to do something else all together.

The short shorts of the 70's made you question your sexuality? :blink:

I guess thats part of it, you got me. Or maybe its because of the endless timeouts, boring a$s free throws and umpteen fouls the whole Gdam game!!

I think baseball is popular because it was out grandparents and parents game. It was the only sport for many years in this country. I personally hate baseball...Its the same teams year after year...its all very boring..very

You just described every single pro sport. There are plenty of reasons why hockey has a weaker following around the US. I'd say one of the big one's is the fact that the league is about 20% american. So many people are always big on buying american and things like that. Hockey can never offer that. The typical american can't relate to some guy named Gordie from Alberta. Well they can, but they're just too short-minded and think that Canada is as different from the USA as China is.

Then there's the fact that all the other sports are based on something that any healthy person can do, running. Hockey involves learning a new method of movement that many people have never done or are too lazy to learn. They can't relate to it.

Then there's the big one. The other sports can be played at just about any time, anywhere. Hockey calls for a specific atmosphere, location, and equipment. The more complicated the setup gets, the more likely a group of kids are to do something else all together.

try like 40% American

Archived