Derek Roy for David Backes

OTTOnME

Before the playoffs began - on the Bulldog's show - Paul Hamilton was talking about a trade the Buffalo Sabres might pursue: Derek Roy to St. Louis for David Backes.

I would love to see such a trade.

If you were Darcy Regier - and the Blues were willing to make that trade - would you do it?

Before the playoffs began - on the Bulldog's show - Paul Hamilton was talking about a trade the Buffalo Sabres might pursue: Derek Roy to St. Louis for David Backes.

I would love to see such a trade.

If you were Darcy Regier - and the Blues were willing to make that trade - would you do it?

You know I would... He's young, big, seems to be able to score goals though he went from 31 to 17 this year. What he showed during the Olympics impressed me... he's not affraid to get physical at all. We need guys like him on this team... more of him, less of guys like Roy.

You know I would... He's young, big, seems to be able to score goals though he went from 31 to 17 this year. What he showed during the Olympics impressed me... he's not affraid to get physical at all. We need guys like him on this team... more of him, less of guys like Roy.

The 31 goals seems like a anomaly at this point. Cost wise at $2.5 for a winger with size is not bad at all. I don't see Regier trading away Roy and his team friendly contract of $4 mil for the next three years for a pending UFA. What would make sense is Connolly for Backes. Both would be pending UFA. Conolly would give the Blues some offensive splash if nothing else. The Blues have plenty of Cap space going into next season so the price difference shouldn't be a issue. Kariya and his $6 mill will be off the books so the Blues maybe looking to replace him with a player with a offensive rep.

Why is everyone so quick to trade away centers without a center coming back? We are weakest up the middle, and really need to fortify the position. Trading away our best center (Roy)for yet another winger doesn't address the problem. That said, if the blues would take TC of our hands for Backes I make that deal all day long. He will make any center he plays with look better.

Why is everyone so quick to trade away centers without a center coming back? We are weakest up the middle, and really need to fortify the position. Trading away our best center (Roy)for yet another winger doesn't address the problem. That said, if the blues would take TC of our hands for Backes I make that deal all day long. He will make any center he plays with look better.

I think the idea is that the money saved would go towards another deal for a actual #1 center.

I think the idea is that the money saved would go towards another deal for a actual #1 center.

Then by all means, do it! Just as long as they land a legit first or 2nd line center who is at least 6' tall, and don't try to fill the position from within. We are weak on top tier center prospects back on the farm, too.

Can't wait for the draft, they will probably take 5 more defensemen and another goalie.

David Backes does play centre. Last season he was often between Paul Kariya and T.J. Oshie.

Obviously, the Blues see in Backes the qualities we all see. Forwards good for 20 goals* and 200 hits a year are rare. In order to get them to give him up - which they would do only reluctantly - you would have to provide someone with legitimate offensive prowess, like Derek Roy or Tim Connolly. Offence is not St. Louis' strong suit. That's why they missed the playoffs.

* 17 goals isn't too far off. I would wager that his average - beginning with the 2008-09 season - will be about 20 goals a season.

David Backes does play centre. Last season he was often between Paul Kariya and T.J. Oshie.

Obviously, the Blues see in Backes the qualities we all see. Forwards good for 20 goals* and 200 hits a year are rare. In order to get them to give him up - which they would do only reluctantly - you would have to provide someone with legitimate offensive prowess, like Derek Roy or Tim Connolly. Offence is not St. Louis' strong suit. That's why they missed the playoffs.

* 17 goals isn't too far off. I would wager that his average - beginning with the 2008-09 season - will be about 20 goals a season.

I will take your word for it, as even with center ice I never watch Blues games.

If the guy can play center then go ahead and make the trade, but we are trading a 3rd line center for a 3rd line center.

I will take your word for it, as even with center ice I never watch Blues games.

If the guy can play center then go ahead and make the trade, but we are trading a 3rd line center for a 3rd line center.

You don't have to take his word for it. If you check the stats Backes took over 500 face offs this year. Unfortunately he only won 47% of them.

You don't have to take his word for it. If you check the stats Backes took over 500 face offs this year. Unfortunately he only won 47% of them.

Tom, hopefully - as we speak - Backes is working on his faceoff technique.

Actually, he took over 1000 faceoffs and won 504 (lost 561). That's a good sign that he played at center a lot.

Because we all know how indicative of success hits are.

When you have a team that is dead last in hits and is probably the softest team in the NHL bringing a player who is willing to throw his body around and can actually play can only help a team be successful. I think only Regier and yourself believe you can win a Stanley Cup with a team made up of pu$$ies.

When you have a team that is dead last in hits and is probably the softest team in the NHL bringing a player who is willing to throw his body around and can actually play can only help a team be successful. I think only Regier and yourself believe you can win a Stanley Cup with a team made up of pu$$ies.

You have no idea what I think but the Sabres didn't lose to Boston cause Boston out hit them or out worked them. They lost beccause they couldn't score a timely goal or two.

You have no idea what I think but the Sabres didn't lose to Boston cause Boston out hit them or out worked them. They lost beccause they couldn't score a timely goal or two.

I'm not too sure about that. It sure looked to me like Recchi outhit Kennedy for that go ahead goal.

I would LOVE to get David Backes but like many have stated I can't see St. Louis parting with such a young big talented player such as he. I would like to them move Roy & or Tim Connolly for a similiar player with size, grit & toughness who can score. I was hoping that either the Flyers or the Blackhawks for that matter run into salary cap problems and we could snag a player like a Richards or even Carter. But yes the Center position will have to be addressed if Roy goes... just tired of being a weak team that isn't able to exert its will on a team when the playoffs come and the intensity is ramped up another level. I hope Darcy proves us wrong and pulls the trigger on a couple players, a house cleaning is not necessary.

You're right. I think the stats will bear out that the Sabres outhit the Bruins. But the most memorable ones seemed to belong to Boston.

Special teams, again, cost the Sabres a playoff series.

I'm not too sure about that. It sure looked to me like Recchi outhit Kennedy for that go ahead goal.

First, I believe they both tried to initiate contact, Kennedy just showed a little in-experience on the play The play itself would have been moot had they converted a couple more of their chances.

On a side note, Kennedy takes a lot more blame then he deserves on that play and I am quite sure he learned a great deal.

First, I believe they both tried to initiate contact, Kennedy just showed a little in-experience on the play The play itself would have been moot had they converted a couple more of their chances.

On a side note, Kennedy takes a lot more blame then he deserves on that play and I am quite sure he learned a great deal.

It was meant to be a toungue-in-cheek comment. For his size, Kennedy actually wins a surprising number of physical battles along the boards. He just happend to get his jock handed to him on that play.

You're right. I think the stats will bear out that the Sabres outhit the Bruins. But the most memorable ones seemed to belong to Boston.

Special teams, again, cost the Sabres a playoff series.

They weren't physically prepared to play that style of hockey. It wore them down. It's why when it came to crunch time the Sabres are the ones who couldn't get it done.

Archived