The 1st step towards Status Quo!

deluca67

I don't think that DR's looking to sign both of them, just one. Whether that's the cheaper one or the better one, I don't know.

I'd rather have Tallinder at, say, 3.5 than Lydman at 3mill. If it's the other way around? Lydman at 3.5 and Tallinder at 3? still Hank.

They need a PP QB on D and neither one of these guys is that. But having one around, preferably the one that was with Myers all year wouldn't be bad at the price mentioned. Spend the extra mill, @4-5 million for a PPQB.

I don't think that DR's looking to sign both of them, just one. Whether that's the cheaper one or the better one, I don't know.

I'd rather have Tallinder at, say, 3.5 than Lydman at 3mill. If it's the other way around? Lydman at 3.5 and Tallinder at 3? still Hank.

They need a PP QB on D and neither one of these guys is that. But having one around, preferably the one that was with Myers all year wouldn't be bad at the price mentioned. Spend the extra mill, @4-5 million for a PPQB.

why? how is tallinder any better than lydman? lydman hits more and gets more points on average and there about the same when it comes to defensive abilities.

why? how is tallinder any better than lydman? lydman hits more and gets more points on average and there about the same when it comes to defensive abilities.

That's my point. They are about the same, except for the M(yers) factor. Could the M factor make him sign for less so we could spend on a Kaberle / Ehrhoff/ Boyle, plus a Alberts/ Allen type D man?

That's my point. They are about the same, except for the M(yers) factor. Could the M factor make him sign for less so we could spend on a Kaberle / Ehrhoff/ Boyle, plus a Alberts/ Allen type D man?

Eeeeeeesh. I don't want either of those guys at anything over $1.75MM or so. The Sabres need the cash to bring in a couple of high-end players. They've been paying $3MM salaries to too many average players for too long.

I don't feel like re-reading the thread but whoever said Tallinder and Lydman were good defenseman that most teams would want, i must take this moment to laugh at you.

Tallinder would be lucky to be a 5th-7th on any team, and while Lydman could probably play on a 3/4 pairing in some places, unless they both take substantial pay cuts it wouldn't happen. Buffalo should let the both of them walk, along with Montador and Rivet next season, and re-build their defense around Myers.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/17401-the-1st-step-towards-status-quo/page__pid__212039__st__20#entry212039

WGR Report

Regier looking to resign Tallinder and Lydman :doh:

I tell you a Tim Connolly multi-year extension wont be far behind. Patrick Lalime will remain the backup. And the big off-season addition will be a Steve Montador level free agent. In other words Status Quo is here to stay. :wallbash:

you guys see my point right?

Eeeeeeesh. I don't want either of those guys at anything over $1.75MM or so. The Sabres need the cash to bring in a couple of high-end players. They've been paying $3MM salaries to too many average players for too long.

I'd like to see that 1.75 number too, but I don't think it'll happen. $hit, Spach signed for 3.8 and he's 35 yrs old!

Top 4 dmen on 30 teams, so that's 120 players...

Rank the top 120 in terms of 09-10 salary and the bottom is 1.5million. Some of those players are signed for 3-8 million now (i.e. Keith, Robidas).

I don't see how any decent agent is letting their player sign for less than 2.5 at least. If they did it would be the "hometown discount".

http://forums.sabres..._20#entry212039

WGR Report

I tell you a Tim Connolly multi-year extension wont be far behind. Patrick Lalime will remain the backup. And the big off-season addition will be a Steve Montador level free agent. In other words Status Quo is here to stay. :wallbash:

I do, but at the same time if signing Tallinder makes Myers play as well or better than he has already, I'm fine with it. Tallinder was not a problem this year.

Lydman, I feel less strongly about. He does throw a few hits and didn't seem as prone fo boneheaded plays this year, but at the same time if we think there's someone better in the system or in FA, that would be ideal. Although if they signed Lydman for for some low low number, I wouldn't be that upset about it.

The Sabres D was pretty good this year. The forwards core is where the changes need to come (but I don't think ANYONE will argue with that statement).

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/17401-the-1st-step-towards-status-quo/page__pid__212039__st__20#entry212039

WGR Report

gregkash - no

DeLuca - yes

I don't feel like re-reading the thread but whoever said Tallinder and Lydman were good defenseman that most teams would want, i must take this moment to laugh at you.

Tallinder would be lucky to be a 5th-7th on any team, and while Lydman could probably play on a 3/4 pairing in some places, unless they both take substantial pay cuts it wouldn't happen. Buffalo should let the both of them walk, along with Montador and Rivet next season, and re-build their defense around Myers.

ha yeah right, i think lydman is better than tallinder. but neither one of them sucks.

Is it not safe to say those three teams had stronger defensive units as a whole? Pittsburgh definitely did and I would say outside of Myers the Habs defensive group is much better than the Sabres. The problem is you can't pay Tallinder and Lydman and still go out and get a top pair defenseman to play with Myers and still do everything needed to improve the forwards. Not while you still have a Rivet and Montador under contract as well. You are facing the real possibility that this team will have the same ineffective defense they had last year. Myers had a dream season but I wouldn't want to put the pressure on him to carry this squad by himself again this season.

Pittsburgh defense consisted of Gill, Eaton, Scuderi, Orpik, Gonchar and Letang.

Plus there is no reason you can't sign Tallinder and Lydman and get a top pair defenseman.

Archived