Scott Arniel Named Columbus Head Coach

wonderbread

Wasn't the year of Arniel being proclaimed a GREAT PP coach, the post lockout year when no one could be touched 5-5, 5-4 or even 5-3? The same year when offensive numbers spiked like crazy across the league and have subsequently decreased in the years since?

Wasn't the year of Arniel being proclaimed a GREAT PP coach, the post lockout year when no one could be touched 5-5, 5-4 or even 5-3? The same year when offensive numbers spiked like crazy across the league and have subsequently decreased in the years since?

How much of the scoring trend has been coaching, and how much officiating? I've never totally bought the idea that the season after the lockout, you couldn't touch someone, and now you can mug them. Seems overly simplistic.

How much of the scoring trend has been coaching, and how much officiating? I've never totally bought the idea that the season after the lockout, you couldn't touch someone, and now you can mug them. Seems overly simplistic.

+1

Coaching is definitely a part of it, but the enforcement is also an issue. If you watch a game from that first post-lockout season, you'll see that defensemen very rarely held up a forechecking forward. That didn't last very long.

Archived