Stevie Wonder new GM of Lightning

tom webster

Well, they've stunk for a few years now, so a low turnout at an early-season game isn't surprising. When they've been good, though, they've gotten very good fan support. Frankly, they've done better attendance-wise than the Sabres have when both teams have been good, and when both teams have been lousy.

I'm not knocking the Sabres' fan support -- I just get annoyed at hearing the same mindless refrain over and over that the sun belt teams don't get any fan support. It's true for teams that are terrible every year like Atlanta, Florida and (until this year) Phoenix, but not for teams that have had some success like Tampa and Dallas. Once people go to a good hockey game, they get hooked and they come back. The game is too good not to.

It's tough to compare because they are two different markets in just about every sense. But I agree fans will support teams in the non-traditional markets if they are winning. The problem is most of them don't have a history of success.

I'm not denying the numbers, of course, nor am I denying that Tampa and other Sun Belt cities do get decent attendance, but anyone whom is remotely suggesting that Tampa is anywhere near the hockey city that Buffalo is, would have a "screw loose" - in my humble opinion.

Actually you were, just man up to it.

Dineen could be on Yzerman's list of potential head coaches.

Dineen, coach of Portland (Maine) of the American Hockey League, has known Yzerman since the early 1980s, when they began two-decade NHL careers and began playing in international tournaments together.

linkage

Dineen could be on Yzerman's list of potential head coaches.

Dineen, coach of Portland (Maine) of the American Hockey League, has known Yzerman since the early 1980s, when they began two-decade NHL careers and began playing in international tournaments together.

linkage

Kevin Dineen: The name linked to every vacant job last summer wasn't quite as hot this season, at least until the last week or so. Since then, Dineen rumors have flown in both Tampa and Columbus. Yzerman is thought to have the former Hartford Whalers star ranked among his favorites, thanks to his track record and the fiery personality needed to demand nightly accountability from the underachieving Bolts. Still, Dineen is carrying some baggage from some off-ice issues. He's probably earned the benefit of the doubt at this point, but it may not be enough to move him past other candidates, especially incumbent interim coach Claude Noel in Columbus. He could land in Tampa, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he was relegated to also-ran status for a second year.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/allan_muir/06/01/coach.search/index.html#ixzz0pfLcKMpQ

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Interesting. I would still like Dineen to fail to make it anywhere and become the Sabres next head coach after Ruff's time is up.

I just cannot picture Stevie Y running the show outside of Detroit. That would be like Cal Ripken, Jr. going to a team other than the Baltimore Orioles to be a part of their coaching staff. :blink:

Archived