A Player Per Day: No. 28: Paul Gaustad

Eleven

42 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

I put 4 only because we need a reliable face-off guy before he is truly expendable. He needs to find his physical game again, he used to be a beast in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit.

They may call him "Goose" but he has played more like a Gander the last 6 months. The Lindy Ruff pussification of a player has never had a finer example. Remember when this guy was referred to as a gritty player. The only redeeming quality he has is his faceoffs. I'd rather have Vinny Prospal for about a 1.5 million dollar a year savings.

If I had more time, I'd look it up. I would bet you could easily find a player similar to Gaustad for less than 1/2 what the Sabres are paying him.

Classic case of DR & LQ going overboard with salaries in reaction to the DB & CD fiasco.

If I had more time, I'd look it up. I would bet you could easily find a player similar to Gaustad for less than 1/2 what the Sabres are paying him.

Classic case of DR & LQ going overboard with salaries in reaction to the DB & CD fiasco.

I wanted them to sign Manny Malhotra last Summer. He had a great year in San Jose for $700k, putting up 14G, 19A for 33P and a +17. He was also #1 or #2 in the league in faceoffs during the regular season and is still dominating in the playoffs. He's averaging just under 17 minutes per game in the playoffs and is getting plenty of both PP and PK time. He's also 6'2", 215lbs and he uses it at least as much as Gaustad does. Watch a San Jose game and see how often the announcers are talking about him.

I put 4 only because we need a reliable face-off guy before he is truly expendable. He needs to find his physical game again, he used to be a beast in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit.

Agreed, what happened to this guy? I selected 3 because he played poorly for a very long strech, which is very uncharacteristic of him. It also leads me to believe that there is a major problem in his game.

Don't care if he stays or goes.

Will never be anything but a 4th line center, even with his faceoff percentages.

There are better options then Goose at center on line 3.

But, there are far worse options available at center for line 4.

Agreed, what happened to this guy? I selected 3 because he played poorly for a very long strech, which is very uncharacteristic of him. It also leads me to believe that there is a major problem in his game.

This reminded me about the freak injury he got in 2007 where a tendon in his ankle was sliced and he was out for a long time... I'd forgotten he's actually been injured quite a bit during the last two seasons. I wonder if that isn't affecting him the way it did Hank after breaking his arm, where he definitely lost his physical game for a while.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/players/55215/Paul_Gaustad

Edit: Look at the career stats at the top -- quite a drop-off in PIMs.

Watching Gaustad skate is like watching a newly born horse take it's first steps.

Gaustad Skates? I thought he just "stood" and tried being in the way of things.

It's like watching Russell Crowe in Mystery Alaska.

Bad skater in a bad movie.

Archived