Sabres.com: Inexperience why we lost

thesportsbuff

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=528253

excerpt:

With that being said, my question is this – what if the answer isn’t that the Sabres ‘weren’t built for the playoffs’ as some pundits have suggested? What if they simply weren’t ready?

The Sabres had seven players on their roster that made their postseason debut in the 2010 playoffs. That’s nearly a third of the lineup that was untested going into the first round. It was also the highest in the Eastern Conference. The only team that equaled the Sabres' inexperience was Buffalo’s division rival, the Ottawa Senators.

while this article makes a few points on inexperience, it's mostly just a joke of an excuse. thought you guys might enjoy tearing the author apart.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=528253

excerpt:

while this article makes a few points on inexperience, it's mostly just a joke of an excuse. thought you guys might enjoy tearing the author apart.

I won't bother to read it, but you don't think the lack of experience plays a big role in plays like the one where Kennedy was knocked over by Recchi before that GWG?

I won't bother to read it, but you don't think the lack of experience plays a big role in plays like the one where Kennedy was knocked over by Recchi before that GWG?

Inexperience is purely an excuse.

A playoff hockey game is still a hockey game at the end of the day. The intensity may be at a higher level, but, its still execution that gets it done.

The Buffalo Sabres did not execute as well as the Boston Bruins, plain and simple. These players have a ton of experience playing hockey in an organized environment. They just got done going 82 games for experience.

This is merely an excuse at the end of the day.

A playoff hockey game is still a hockey game at the end of the day. The intensity may be at a higher level, but, its still execution that gets it done.

The Buffalo Sabres did not execute as well as the Boston Bruins, plain and simple. These players have a ton of experience playing hockey in an organized environment. They just got done going 82 games for experience.

Agreed.

It is also an attitude that this team is not well suited for. Every time a Sabre got into Rask, the Bruins were like a pack of wild dogs on the Sabre. The Bruins didn't care if they got a penalty and they usually didn't because it is playoff hockey. When a Bruin got into Miller, the response was well uninspiring and not intense at all. The Sabres attitude was very nonchalant with a few exceptions. The Sabres may have had more hits but they didn't have the intensity or impact.

I also should add that this team is not near as fast as it used to be. The team really is just average in speed and when you don't have size or speed your not gonna get very far in the post season.

I won't bother to read the story but it never ceases to amaze me how much time the organization puts into coming up with statistics to bolster their agenda.

Last year that had to arbitrarily determine what were games lost to injury by "impact" players since regular games lost didn't suffice.

I won't bother to read the story but it never ceases to amaze me how much time the organization puts into coming up with statistics to bolster their agenda.

Last year that had to arbitrarily determine what were games lost to injury by "impact" players since regular games lost didn't suffice.

Ding ding ding. Look at the chart at the end. I somehow doubt Erin Pollina pulled that together by herself. She touts the story as just her theory, a comment which in itself makes me suspect it came from LQ.

The "kids" didn't hurt the Sabres. The playoff veterans certainly did.

To be fair though, you do have to actually experience how the game is called in a completely different manner in the playoffs before you really know what it's like. The lack of experience is no excuse for half the roster, but at the same time, you'd have to think that the Myers, Ennis, and Kennedys of this team will be better because of this series.

...you'd have to think that the Myers, Ennis, and Kennedys of this team will be better because of this series.

You mean like Roy, Connolly, Pominville, Lydman, Tallinder, etc.. were supposed to be better this year because of the experience they got during the 05-06 & 06-07 runs? <_<

You mean like Roy, Connolly, Pominville, Lydman, Tallinder, etc.. were supposed to be better this year because of the experience they got during the 05-06 & 06-07 runs? <_<

One group fails, so that means every single group from here on out is destined for failure?

To be fair though, you do have to actually experience how the game is called in a completely different manner in the playoffs before you really know what it's like. The lack of experience is no excuse for half the roster, but at the same time, you'd have to think that the Myers, Ennis, and Kennedys of this team will be better because of this series.

No doubt they've learned some things and will improve, but I don't know, I just found it pretty amazing that a story basically claiming the Sabres lost because they had more plays with no playoff experience made it's way to the Sabres home page. haha

Let's not forget that a very experienced, highly touted head coach got schooled by Claude Julien Peppers.

Let's not forget that a very experienced, highly touted head coach got schooled by Claude Julien Peppers.

I've jumped off the fire Lindy bandwagon for at least the off-season. Unfortunately, he is coming back for another season along with DR.

Haven't read it either, just wanted to say I agree with this.

However, if the reason the Sabres got beat was inexperience, would someone please explain to me why our best players were the guys playing their first playoff series, and the veterans were all MIA?

Haven't read it either, just wanted to say I agree with this.

However, if the reason the Sabres got beat was inexperience, would someone please explain to me why our best players were the guys playing their first playoff series, and the veterans were all MIA?

How many vets are we really talking about here? It seems like all the complaints boil down to mostly the two centers, with a little Pominville mixed in, all the high end guys. The lesser vets, guys like Grier and Mair up front and Lydman, Tallinder, and Montador (minus one lost edge) on the blue line were solid for the most part. I'm not so sure I want to throw anyone else in there with the three guys I named. I'm sure there will be some wanted to mention Rivet, but I don't see him as part of the problem from that series.

How many vets are we really talking about here? It seems like all the complaints boil down to mostly the two centers, with a little Pominville mixed in, all the high end guys. The lesser vets, guys like Grier and Mair up front and Lydman, Tallinder, and Montador (minus one lost edge) on the blue line were solid for the most part. I'm not so sure I want to throw anyone else in there with the three guys I named. I'm sure there will be some wanted to mention Rivet, but I don't see him as part of the problem from that series.

connolly, roy, pommer, stafford, gaustad, lydman, montador, sekera are my complaints

Sorry shrader, a hockey game is still just a hockey game, playoff or otherwise. Like I said, these players have played organized hockey most of their lives, the inexperience excuse is old hat, and that dog don't hunt in my opinion.

You know how to play organized hockey, then execute accordingly. Lets move along from this subject, its just an excuse from the organization to cover up the front offices (Darcy Regiers) short comings on talent elavuation and team needs.

Sorry shrader, a hockey game is still just a hockey game, playoff or otherwise. Like I said, these players have played organized hockey most of their lives, the inexperience excuse is old hat, and that dog don't hunt in my opinion.

You know how to play organized hockey, then execute accordingly. Lets move along from this subject, its just an excuse from the organization to cover up the front offices (Darcy Regiers) short comings on talent elavuation and team needs.

I'm sorry, I don't buy it as an excuse for this Sabres team because the top players are experienced, but experience does count for something. The Cup is almost never won by a team that never experienced the playoff grind before. Even the great Red Wing dynasty went through their share of playoff disappointments before finally breaking through.

Anyone who doesn't think that Myers looked nervous the first few games was watching a different game then I. And like Shrader says, Kennedy will not get beaten like he did against Recchi again.

connolly, roy, pommer, stafford, gaustad, lydman, montador, sekera are my complaints

I don't want to throw Stafford on that list because I don't think that much was expected from him at all. He came in injured and then only played 3 games. I would think that going into the series, most would have considered it a bonus if they got anything from him at all.

Guastad, yeah, I'll give you that one, but then again, he's not exactly one of those go to guys.

Sekera was a playoff rookie.

I really can't remember much bad from Lydman and Montador other than the lost edge. When I look at that series, I have a tough time throwing anyone from the blueline under the bus because it was the defense that lost that series.

I'd still rather go into a playoff series with seasoned veterans who've been through the wars of playoff hockey and won a few series than with a bunch of green rookies.The right mix I guess but I think more seasoned vets has to help in a tough playoff series.

I'd still rather go into a playoff series with seasoned veterans who've been through the wars of playoff hockey and won a few series than with a bunch of green rookies.The right mix I guess but I think more seasoned vets has to help in a tough playoff series.

The following players were all around in 05-06 and 06-07. How many "seasoned vets" do you want?

Roy

Connolly

Pominville

Vanek

Gaustad

Lydman

Tallinder

Miller

Grier

Mair

Hecht

In addition, Rivet & Montador have been added.

The following players were all around in 05-06 and 06-07. How many "seasoned vets" do you want?

Roy

Connolly

Pominville

Vanek

Gaustad

Lydman

Tallinder

Miller

Grier

Mair

Hecht

In addition, Rivet & Montador have been added.

Correct Blue. No matter how you slice it, inexperience is just an excuse for piss poor play. The Sabres just didn't want it as bad as Boston, plain and simple.

Thats fine,you go in with your green team and I'll go in with a majority seasoned vets with a few rookies.Its just my opinion.I'm sure if you polled every nhl g.m. they'd agree on which formula works.It ain't the team thats green.Also,just because it did'nt work for this sad sack group does'nt mean it does'nt work.

Archived