Not built for the playoffs

Bob Goulet

This team is not built for the playoffs. Too many munchkins in the top six right now(roy, pommers,kennedy, and ennis). The munchkins get knocked off the pucks too easily, never win the battles on the boards, and spend most of the game in there own zone. Tonights loss was a direct result of this. Kennedy gets knocked off by Sturm(i think)and feeds bergeron for the game winner. The intensity and physicality of the playoffs is something the munchkins will never overcome. And we can expect more of the same if managment keeps drafting players like gerbe, ennis and kennedy

Total agreement. We also miss Hecht's ability to battle for and control the puck on the boards.

So when does Crosby get injured in the playoffs? I mean seriously, Buffalo sports has been and looks like always will be under a dark unforgiving cloud. Injuries happen every year to different teams but come on, seriously??

Total agreement. We also miss Hecht's ability to battle for and control the puck on the boards.

We need more then Hecht! First of all, Vanek is much more important to team than Hecht.

It is the same story for the last 10+ years the Sabres have made the playoffs. Euro D-men that aren't physical, undersized forwards who get pushed around and lack of a go to player for that timely goal.

And we can expect more of the same if managment keeps drafting players like gerbe, ennis and kennedy

Not going to disagree about being too small and too soft, but did you see last year's draft class? They may end up being Gaustads and Mairs, but they definitely won't be munchkins:

Zack Kassian - 6'3", 210lbs

Brayden McNabb - 6'4", 200lbs

Marcus Foligno - 6'2", 200lbs

Mark Adams - 6'1", 187lbs

Conner Knapp - 6'5", 215lbs (big goalie)

Maxime Legault - 6'2", 195lbs

We need more then Hecht! First of all, Vanek is much more important to team than Hecht.

It is the same story for the last 10+ years the Sabres have made the playoffs. Euro D-men that aren't physical, undersized forwards who get pushed around and lack of a go to player for that timely goal............All playing in front of a great Goaltender who carried them all year letting them coast and into the playoffs where ultimatly just having a great goalie won't get you the big prize

Not going to disagree about being too small and too soft, but did you see last year's draft class? They may end up being Gaustads and Mairs, but they definitely won't be munchkins:

Zack Kassian - 6'3", 210lbs

Brayden McNabb - 6'4", 200lbs

Marcus Foligno - 6'2", 200lbs

Mark Adams - 6'1", 187lbs

Conner Knapp - 6'5", 215lbs (big goalie)

Maxime Legault - 6'2", 195lbs

Come on Carp, you love stats and graphs. What are the chances that one of those guys makes it to the NHL let alone two or more?

Come on Carp, you love stats and graphs. What are the chances that one of those guys makes it to the NHL let alone two or more?

I was merely responding to his point that they continue to draft small players. As I said, they'll probably end up being 3rd/4th line guys, at best, but they didn't draft munchkins last year.

I was merely responding to his point that they continue to draft small players. As I said, they'll probably end up being 3rd/4th line guys, at best, but they didn't draft munchkins last year.

One or two at best.

This franchise is not going change overnight because of one draft.

One or two at best.

This franchise is not going change overnight because of one draft.

Ah yes, actually, this franchise can change overnight. TRADE MILLER.

You trade Ryan Miller and you get some exeptional pieces, take your pick, a mix of up front and D or all upfront, or all D, or mix them with pics/prospects.

The point is, he is a very tradable comodity.

Since everyone is speaking on size of the team, what do we need? We need a real RW Power Forward with hands and moves to go with Roy and Vanek.

We need a real 1st line Center to go with Ennis and Pommers.

And the list goes on.

But hey, were the city of Buffalo, we have a great goaltender...................I digress, I've heard this line before :blink:

Ah yes, actually, this franchise can change overnight. TRADE MILLER.

You trade Ryan Miller and you get some exeptional pieces, take your pick, a mix of up front and D or all upfront, or all D, or mix them with pics/prospects.

The point is, he is a very tradable comodity.

Since everyone is speaking on size of the team, what do we need? We need a real RW Power Forward with hands and moves to go with Roy and Vanek.

We need a real 1st line Center to go with Ennis and Pommers.

And the list goes on.

But hey, were the city of Buffalo, we have a great goaltender...................I digress, I've heard this line before :blink:

WHOA!

Slow down man, thats a little crazy.

How about we get a real LW Power Forward for TC and Pommers and see where that takes us? I feel that is true need for this group. And it would make us immensly better. Enough with this Kennedy in the top 6 garbage. He adds to the problem, he doesn't solve it. Same goes for Ennis. I think these guys should be used as a secret offensive weapon on the third line.

I still have some faith in Stafford, and i feel he is that guy you describe.

WHOA!

How about we get a real LW Power Forward for TC and Pommers and see where that takes us? I feel that is true need for this group. And it would make us immensly better. Enough with this Kennedy in the top 6 garbage. He adds to the problem, he doesn't solve it. Same goes for Ennis. I think these guys should be used as a secret offensive weapon on the third line.

You just can't say Ennis and Kennedy add to the problem and feel Timmy "the no show skill" Connolly is part of any answer. Both have outplayed Connolly this series. Connolly has joined Rivet as the worst two players in the series for both teams.

You just can't say Ennis and Kennedy add to the problem and feel Timmy "the no show skill" Connolly is part of any answer. Both have outplayed Connolly this series. Connolly has joined Rivet as the worst two players in the series for both teams.

Connolly's conditioning is questionable right now. Had he stayed healthy, he would've led the team in scoring during the season.

all i know is that i wouldn't shed a tear if hank and toni found themselves on different teams next season. there is a pretty good crop of UFA d-men available this july with a little mustard in their game (VOLCHENKOV, MITCHELL). my only concern is that darcy won't have the sack, and end up re-signing guys that the team hasn't won with...AGAIN.

as for the smurf brigade up front: while i still maintain that they just haven't seasoned yet to the point where they are actually hungry to win in the second season and do whatever it takes to achieve that goal, i'm starting to believe that even with three more years among them, they truly aren't "built" for playoff hockey. it takes special players to gut it out to the end, to survive till the end...i don't see pommers or tc or roy being those kinds of players.

on top of all this, i feel as though vanek sees this squad the way we do...underachievers that eventually STILL won't have what it takes in the end, and therefore isn't putting in his best effort. surround him with some experienced players that all weigh at least 200lbs, and you might see a guy with some fire in his belly. a different player, for sure.

i still sincerely want to like this team as it is, from management to the product on the ice. it is getting tougher each season as the development regresses or shows little-to-no improvement. outside of tc and maybe goose, the "core" is still pretty young to be expecting greatness. but how long can a franchise wait for the development to happen? it might have been a great plan, but when you see year after year of gauntlet-like playoff series, one begins to imagine what kind of transformation is necessary from said core to become a squad capable of toughing out 16 post-season wins, and i can't imagine it happening in buffalo. these are the wrong players. this is the wrong management team. and i hate to say this, but lindy is not getting it done. "the system" is not working. the fire isn't evident (5 minutes at the end of a game won't cut it...it never has, and except for extremely rare instances, it never will). you gotta look behind the bench when a team comes out and coasts through a majority of three playoff games (and from what i remember, a majority of the previous three series they had three years ago).

i watch these other teams playing their hearts out (the kings even have a lower average age than the sabres...and as of right now, are 7 for 12 on the PP), and it just piles on the disheartened feeling i'm filled with right now. i know it's only 2-1 right now, and anything can happen, but regardless...does anyone really believe this team is worthy of winning the stanley cup? if so, please, let me know how that could ever happen.

This team may not be built for the playoffs but tonight the hits were pretty well even,shots were pretty well even.I think Rask has outplayed Miller which was'nt supposed to happen.The Bruins just seem to possess the number 1 intangible which is desire to win at all costs.We always seem to be 1 or 2 pieces short when it comes to contending and I think its on Darcys shoulders.

WHOA!

How about we get real RW Power forward and Centre to REPLACE Pommers and Connolly?

Kennedy isn't a Top 6 Forward yet, same with Ennis, but they haven't really proven they will never be, they are still rather young and Green, and would make great 3rd liners. But if they are to become third liners, Darcy needs to go out and get some guys that are better then themto be 1st and 2nd Liners

As for the retarded idea to trade Miller, Why get rid of the one thing that is right about the team? What does that say to the rest of the team and the league? Basically that they are a stepping stone organisation thats happy with underachievers and loves to rebuild. Your better off to try and move the real problems, pretty much anyone thats considered a "top 6" forward on this team, or a defencemen not named Myers

This team may not be built for the playoffs but tonight the hits were pretty well even,shots were pretty well even.I think Rask has outplayed Miller which was'nt supposed to happen.The Bruins just seem to possess the number 1 intangible which is desire to win at all costs.We always seem to be 1 or 2 pieces short when it comes to contending and I think its on Darcys shoulders.

none of our shots were good scoring chances they were all wrist shots from far away and from outside the circle, and again none of our point shots got through

Funny how no one mentions Raffi Torres. Wasn't he supposed to add some grit. What a flaming disappointment.

PTR

Raffi who? Isn't he the guy that sings to the Children?

Another one of Darcy's amazing deadline moves to make the team a contender

On paper the hits may seem the same,but watching the game, Bostons hits actually did what they were supposed to do and stopped the Sabres. As for Rask, he has been playing well, but have the Sabres REALLY tested him? A save is a save, whether its a direct shot on the logo or something that has a chance at going in, and I can't remember the last time I saw the Sabres get in a position where they had a great scoring chance instead of just throwing the puck at the net hoping it gets deflected in

i suppose i wouldn't be so angered over the way things have been handled over the last 5 years or so if a team like phoenix weren't head and shoulders above the product buffalo is trotting out every night. brand new coach (for them), nhl ownership, a few deadline deals, and they're looking like world beaters. it's inspiring. the sabres...they aren't remotely inspiring outside of the goal crease. certainly not in the management department.

i suppose i wouldn't be so angered over the way things have been handled over the last 5 years or so if a team like phoenix weren't head and shoulders above the product buffalo is trotting out every night. brand new coach (for them), nhl ownership, a few deadline deals, and they're looking like world beaters. it's inspiring. the sabres...they aren't remotely inspiring outside of the goal crease. certainly not in the management department.

+ 1000000989866

Great point. Regier is an idiot. "From within" how many more times is he going to say this? The Coyotes are really good. Alot better than us.

Connolly's conditioning is questionable right now. Had he stayed healthy, he would've led the team in scoring during the season.

This same sentiment has been posted more times over the years than Connolly has actually scored goals.

Let's end the dream now. He's not that good because he doesn't care enough to be that good.

Fan's and Regier's dream of Tim Connolly needs to be let go so this franchise can move forward.

At the end of the day we Buffalo fans have heard one form of an excuse or another for 40 years now when it comes to our hockey team.

Many of us are just beating that dead horse. Ya know what really amazes me through all of this. We, as a fan base have been through this so many times, over and over again, and yet, I cannot believe what I hear or see typed in the forums or elsewhere for that matter when some fans truly don't get it.

The answer to all a championship team is to put the right pieces together and build from there. Many other teams have done it over and over again and have won multiple Cups while Buffalo continues its steady march of mediocrity.

You want a winning team, trade your commodities to bring in the pieces that are necessary to make it happen, this includes Vanek, Connolly, Pommers and yes, even Miller.

You have to give to get. Loyalty to a player should not be handed out so easily by the fan base. I see all of these people in love with Miller, he tain't that special folks, hate to burst your bubble on this one, he's just an above average goaltender, thats it.

Vanek is the true star on this team currently, 2x40+ goal seasons should have screamed this by now to many fans. I am no Vanek lover this season, but pucks in the net don't lie.

Roy and Vanek play extremely well together, I have stated since the last off season to look at a Horton/Penner/Boyse type RWer be brought in for them, or a Hemsky type RWer. Either way, you give them a RWer worth a poo poo, that lines excels.

As for the 2nd line, I advocated not resigning Connolly, points be dammed. Goals, he doesn't score an awful lot of them. Pommers I would keep, not bad for a 2nd line RWer and with the right mix of Center with LWer he could produce over 30 a season.

Once again, the larger point to make is you have to give to get. Riding a goaltender has already been tried here in Buffalo, and with a much better one than Miller is, it failed. What in gods name would make people actually believe it would be any different with a lesser talented one like Miller.

Build from within my foot, make the trades I say. You want to build Darcy, start with the Defense and Offense, not the Netminder.

Archived