[OT] Which band puts on the best live performance.

Claude Balls

ABB - The Allman Brothers Band

Even if they're not your preferred type of music, they're really excellent live. Seeing 2 drummers play in unison plus another percussionist and multiple guitar players gives superb sound. Cool too that half of them have been doing it for 40+ years!

I;m a huge neil young fan and with neil its not so much the falsetto voice but the songwriting and the genius guitar playing that is his strength.That being said,his voice does suit the music.Live I'd have to say the hip were pretty wild.When Gordie Downie goes off on his rambling cerebral ad lib singing mid way through songs and starts talking about everything but the song content its cool.You just never know what you're going to see with him.Unpredictable.

I've professed my love for all things Foo many a times here but this seems like more than a perfect time to do so again. (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-UB9hpmneU&feature=related

I saw them in Toronto a few yrs ago and the energy and explosion of sound was freaking amazing!!!! I agree...My favorite band of all time is Alice in Chains and catching them live is always a highlight of my year..

Floyd put on a great show. Never got to see all 4 of them on the same stage, but Roger put on a good show in his own right. Would absolutely loved to have flown to England to see them at the Live 8 show.

For just a fun show to be at, BNL, Fruvous, and Jimmy Buffett are hard to beat.

For purely watching talented musicians, Mark Knopfler puts on a great show. And I saw Jeff Beck and SRV play together, that was pretty cool; as was King Crimson.

I'd rate Rush, Billy Joel w/ Elton John, Sponge, Live, and the Offspring highly as well.

Other bands I've seen through the years (in no particular order) include: the Rolling Stones, the Who, Steve Winwood, Green Day, REM, the Beach Boys, Spyro Gyra, Universal Honey, Blue Oyster Cult, Scorpions w/ Bon Jovi opening for them back when the only song of his to get any radio play was Runaway, Gowan, the Fixx, Melissa Ethridge, the Eagles, Page-Plante, Supertramp, Blues Breakers, ZZ Top, Clapton, Gilmour, Our Lady Peace, Candlebox, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Robert Cray, Joe Walsh, the Doobie Brothers, Michael MacDonald, Little Richard, Blood Sweat & Tears, Kansas, Chicago, Tesla, Goo Goo Dolls, Moody Blues, 10,000 Maniacs, Ani DiFranco, Guess Who, Living Color, STP, Creed, and Warren Zevon. There were a few others, but that's a good sample of them. A few were opening acts, but most put on good shows. Green Day kind of sucked.

I'd vote for Genesis (back in the day of course...)

Very intricate music performed live VERY well....I actually prefer young Phil Collins on vocals on Peter Gabriel era tunes...he adds a bit to the song that makes it more interesting to listen to (IMHO of course!)

There's a local band that I've seen a few times that kicks butt called JJ Swing if you like horn based rock....

Clearly none of you have gone to an AC/DC concert. Sorry, but AC/DC puts out still, to this day (in Vegas tonight) 30 plus years after it all started, and they are still the best live act around. The band's ages average out at 55 plus yet they perform like bands half their age and more.

Seen them 14 times live and I've never been disappointed. And to this day, when they could mail in a performance, they still go out and kick your butt.

a wee sampling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svRqltQ_uoo&feature=related

I saw AC/DC at the Toronto SARS Festival a few years ago and they were awesome.

Seen quite a few shows over the years and one of the best that surprised me, probably because I did not expect much, was Tom Petty and the HB. NOt as much for crowd interaction but he sounded great on stage.

Big fan of Blues Traveler in concert as well

Archived