Sabres trade Noronen to Vancouver

GGM

Ill reserve my judgement till after the deadline passes...

If Regier does NOT get a defenseman or something for this year...then we will all know that he was probably more lucky then good in assembling this team

Or he is very comfortable with this team as it is. I really can't blame him if that's what he thinks.

I don't know what all you guys were expecting ... once Edmonton got Roloson, there was no market for Biron ... I LOVE Marty and even I would have LOVED to get a defenseman for him. But there were no other contenders who needed a goalie who could step right in. Neither Biron nor Noronen is much different from Auld, so Vancouver took the cheaper younger guy. The Sabres were more desperate to deal a goalie than anyone else was to get one. That means you get less. Let's not make it sound liek someone offered Niklas Lidstrom and Regier just settled for a second round pick.

Or he is very comfortable with this team as it is. I really can't blame him if that's what he thinks.

If Darcy doesn't acquire any help on the blueline, all I can figure is that Lindy plans on shortening his bench and going with 5 dmen in the regular rotation...McKee, Kalinin, Teppo, Lydman & Tallinder. Campbell will be the 6th dman to dress, will skate an occassional shift on the blue line, but will be in the lineup primarily for the PP. Fitzpatrick will not dress unless there is an injury.

I don't know what all you guys were expecting ... once Edmonton got Roloson, there was no market for Biron ... I LOVE Marty and even I would have LOVED to get a defenseman for him. But there were no other contenders who needed a goalie who could step right in. Neither Biron nor Noronen is much different from Auld, so Vancouver took the cheaper younger guy. The Sabres were more desperate to deal a goalie than anyone else was to get one. That means you get less. Let's not make it sound liek someone offered Niklas Lidstrom and Regier just settled for a second round pick.

Good to finally see some rationalization around this thing....my God, there does not always need to be a blockbuster trade in order for something good to come of this. I think of all the assjacks that carried on and whined during training camp and look what happened.

Let's build for the long-haul. I am not discounting a run at the Cup, but I would look forward to a strong nucleus of players for years to come, then a one or two year run that ends with FA's, salary dumps, etc. I don't think personally that there is any one 'blue-liner' that half of the people are hoping for that makes us any more a contender then we are now. And face it, this is a young team still with little, if any, playoff experience. Chances are we are going to need a year or two to get these kids playoff battle-tested.

If Regier does NOT get a defenseman or something for this year...then we will all know that he was probably more lucky then good in assembling this team

It takes two to tango ... just because he doesn't add a defenseman doesn't mean he didn't WANT to ... look at the defensemen who have moved today ... they are all no better than Fitzptrick. You'd rather see him give up an asset just for the sake of trading?

Again, I AGREE they need another defenseman, but just adding a body who happens to play defense is not the same thing.

Mika may initially be happy with this trade, but soon may feel like he's back in Buffalo.

Van is very happy with Auld. Noronen will probably get a start every 4th or 5th game. But that may not last.

Dan Cloutier is rehabbing and "could" be back before the season ends. If he gets back and plays in a few games, Noronen is back to being the 3rd wheel again.

And next year, if Cloutier is still around, they'll be 3 keepers here too.

I love Noronen. I think the Sabres should have kept him. He could be the next Kipper.

This was coming all along. Noronen isn't worth more than a second rounder, and it's better to send him out west than to ATL and Don "almost made the olympics" Waddell. We kept him so long because he does have potential, but guess what, Miller came along and has a lot more potential. Do we need a D-man, yes, will we get one, maybe. Everyone is so quick to second guess darcy, even when his "big" off-season acquisitions were Lydman and Teppo. They turned out to work for us so I have faith that whatever we do will be the right move for the right reasons.

P.S. We're 4 points (soon to be 2 hopefully) out of first place. How about everybody quit whining for a minute to think about that. (And laugh at the fact that the Leafs suck).

He could be the next Tommy Soderstrom too ... we don't have enough info to say anything else. no doubt he never got a chance but he was never impressive enough to warrant it either.

Mika had the opportunity at any point to do what Ryan did during training camp this year. He hasn't done anything of the sort. Of course, neither had Ryan before this year.

how devistating and disappointing.

If it takes 2 to tango then why have about 8 dman been traded for next to nothing?

Darcy could have done this trade 6 months ago.

I love this team but we are not stanley cup contenders right now and we need some Big Dmen to help us out thank you Reiger for letting us down.

Mika had the opportunity at any point to do what Ryan did during training camp this year. He hasn't done anything of the sort. Of course, neither had Ryan before this year.

What chance was that exactly? Getting jerked around being called up to Rochester, sent down several times...plus Mika had his "chance" during the bankrupt year, not exactly a great setting to succeed.

Mika could very well be the next Kipp...would not shock me one bit.

If it takes 2 to tango then why have about 8 dman been traded for next to nothing?

I love this team but we are not stanley cup contenders right now and we need some Big Dmen to help us out thank you Reiger for letting us down.

Again, who among those defensemen traded makes the Sabres better? MAYBE Gauthier, and since the price was a prospect and two picks, that's not the same as Noronen ... and how many of the teams who dealt defensemen needed a goalie? What you want to send him to toronto for Klee?

If Darcy doesn't acquire any help on the blueline, all I can figure is that Lindy plans on shortening his bench and going with 5 dmen in the regular rotation...McKee, Kalinin, Teppo, Lydman & Tallinder. Campbell will be the 6th dman to dress, will skate an occassional shift on the blue line, but will be in the lineup primarily for the PP. Fitzpatrick will not dress unless there is an injury.

Although this is an interesting idea, I can't see this happening without a huge change in style of play.

It would be hard to skate 5 guys every night at just under 24 minutes and expect them to be as active in the offensive zone as they have been.

Maybe you should wait till 3:00 pm to start complaining.

What chance was that exactly? Getting jerked around being called up to Rochester, sent down several times...plus Mika had his "chance" during the bankrupt year, not exactly a great setting to succeed.

Even if I grant you all that, how was he going to show it with Miller in Buffalo? Kiprusoff was buried behind Nabokov, Noronen was buried behind Miller ... that and the fact that they are scandanavian is all they have in common ... would you rather they gave him a chance here and got rid of miller? it makes no sense.

Ryan forced his way into the starting roll both at the beginning of the year, AND after he came back from injury, replacing a guy who had just won 13 straight games for the club. You could make the case that management wanted him to be the go-to guy, but the bottom line in both cases is that Ryan played too damn well for Ruff to sit him.

Mika has had opportunities to show that kind of ability, and hasn't yet...Though he may very well do it someday.

Mika, congrats, you finally get your chance to show what you can do.

I would have preferred the Sabres to make a trade for a D-man with Marty as the primary bait, but if it wasn't out there, it wasn't out there.

The Sabres could not keep all three and a 2nd rounder for a career backup with a lot of potential is a standard price (see Kiprusoff to Calgary). I think we will look back in a couple of years and think Vancouver got the best of the trade, but that is for time to tell.

It seems like a lot of lower echelon D-men have been moving for lowish round draft picks, so I would not be surprised to see the Sabres still lay claim to a 5th - 7th D-man. It would basically be an insurance policy that wouldn't disrupt "team chemistry".

Recchi just went to CArolina I guess they are not that worried about chemistry just winning

where are you Reiger?

yeah his -28 for $2.28 million would have been nice in Buffalo ... maybe they should have offered Briere ... come on, they don't need a forward ... when some defensemen start getting mioved who would really have helped the Sabres, i will get mad a Regier.

Archived