Winter Classic

Eric in Akron

Yeah, I'm watching and find it hard to root for/like either team however I have to root against Bahston since they are in our division and not far enough down the standings for my liking..

I just want whichever team that wins to do it in regular time.

Yeah, I'm watching and find it hard to root for/like either team however I have to root against Bahston since they are in our division and not far enough down the standings for my liking..

I thought that at first too, but to think of Philly winning a Winter Classic. Ugh.

I just want whichever team that wins to do it in regular time.

Definitely! We only want 2 points out today, not 3.

I'm sure I complained about the same thing last year, but the winter classic is boring/slow paced hockey on bad ice. I turned to college football after one period. For newbies to hockey it is a terrible representation of the game.

Blue, you're not wrong. But I've been to two of these, and they are amazing in person. On TV, not so much. So screw the newbies, and let's celebrate something that's really cool for the fans to see in person.

Blue, you're not wrong. But I've been to two of these, and they are amazing in person. On TV, not so much. So screw the newbies, and let's celebrate something that's really cool for the fans to see in person.

I like the game a lot, old time hockey, nothing wrong with that.......... :beer:

I thought it was a spectacular game. It's what hockey is all about to me. Both teams were working hard, pounding each other against the boards and moving the puck well up and down the ice.

There were great chances on both sides throughout the game, and even a fight :o

Overall, I thought it was an awesome game.

And how could you not want to see Boston win? You have to root for the home team in such a special event. I thought both teams worked their off and deserved to win, but Im glad Boston got the OT win. That's how it should be.

I enjoyed watching the Winter Classic more than the Sabres game last night.

And how could you not want to see Boston win? You have to root for the home team in such a special event. I thought both teams worked their off and deserved to win, but Im glad Boston got the OT win. That's how it should be.

Taking the Sabres fan emotions out of the equation (it was as bad of a result as could have happened, as far as that's concerned), it was the best result for that game. Boston ties it late and wins it in OT?! Are you kidding me?! What next, Crosby winning one in a shootout?! Oh wait ...

I haven't attended in person, so all I can comment on is how it comes across on TV. My main complaint is the puck seems to be moving at about 1/2 the speed it normally does when passes are attewmpted along the ice. I don't know if it is bad ice or something else due to the outdoor elements, but it just wasn't impressive to me from a hockey standpoint.

I haven't attended in person, so all I can comment on is how it comes across on TV. My main complaint is the puck seems to be moving at about 1/2 the speed it normally does when passes are attewmpted along the ice. I don't know if it is bad ice or something else due to the outdoor elements, but it just wasn't impressive to me from a hockey standpoint.

It is a little slower. It's probably a combination of the factors you mentioned: bad ice from a system that is laid down for a couple of weeks and then packed up, and wind/snow/humidity/etc. There are other nuances, too, like shadows.

I'm just not worried about the Winter Classic as a way to recruit new fans, is all I mean.

I'd like to hear what the players say about that, because I didn't really see that. I also didn't see pucks jumping over sticks that usually accompanies that. And passing was pretty tight too. I wonder if it was a function of the lighting difference of being outdoors.

I thought it was a great game (other than the announcers). I really thought that I wanted Boston to lose (them being in our division and all) but when they won, all the inborn hatred for Philly came to the surface and I was glad.

I'd like to hear what the players say about that, because I didn't really see that. I also didn't see pucks jumping over sticks that usually accompanies that. And passing was pretty tight too. I wonder if it was a function of the lighting difference of being outdoors.

I thought it was a great game (other than the announcers). I really thought that I wanted Boston to lose (them being in our division and all) but when they won, all the inborn hatred for Philly came to the surface and I was glad.

Maybe it was just me. I noticed it several times when the puck was shot around the boards behind the net.

It probably is the Canadian in me, but it would be really special to see the leafs and Habs play one of these games in montreal, lots of old timers for a pre game ceremony.........I know the leafs suck, but something would be really special with that.......Or Flames vs Oilers in Winnipeg or something like that.

Archived